UKC

Glucosamine - does it work?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wondering peoples thoughts on this supplement for joint pain (wrists in my case).

Assuming some here have used it...Does it work? If so, how long before any sign of benefits? and do you get what you pay for? (some supplements are much more expensive)

Thx in advance

danm 20 Jul 2016
 toad 20 Jul 2016
In reply to danm:

There was a thread about this relatively recently. From what I gathered then, the evidence is pretty sketchy, but I'm sure it would show up in a search
In reply to toad:

thx will take a look
 Gavin 20 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

From a personal perspective I've been taking a 1500mg daily dose this since March to try and relieve some knee pain. As it happens the knee pain won't benefit from the supplement and I can't say I've felt any other benefits elsewhere. My rational was that it won't do my much harm and at £17 for a year's supply it was worth a go before starting down the surgical route.
 Dax H 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Some claim it works, some claim it doesn't, some claim it's a placebo.
It certainly helps me when my knees and hip are bad, I don't care if it's a placebo if it works and stops or reduces the pain.
One thing I can say is that my mum gave it to an old cat of hers that used to struggle to get around. After a week the cat became more active and agile and I am pretty sure a cat does not understand the effects of a placebo.
 Denzil 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus: tried it for Hallux Limitus (osteoarthritis in first joint of big toe). Didn't notice any significant improvement, so eventually stopped a couple of months before a big trip so I wouldn't have to carry the pills. Didn't notice the pain from the joint get any worse so I've given up using it completely. Acupuncture works as a short term pain reduction - one of my daughters who is a physio taught me how to do it.

toad 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Dax H:

interestingly, there's some research out there about vetinary placebo. Don't really now much about it beyond pop science stuff I've read, but placebo is v. complicated and really interesting!
 Trangia 20 Jul 2016

It worked for me
 markAut 20 Jul 2016

Has worked for me with ankle and knee ligament pain.
 marsbar 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Gavin:

Sorry to hear that. I'm up your way next week if you are about?

(apologies for the hijack)

It's cheap. If it works as a placebo, that's not bad...

ps. I took glucosamine/chondroitin/msm for a while. I thought it helped. Placebo? I didn't care.
Post edited at 20:24
 Dax H 20 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

> interestingly, there's some research out there about vetinary placebo.

That interesting, quite how the animal would know though I don't know.
I suppose the placebo effect could be on the owner maybe seeing improvements that are not there.
Definitely not a placebo in my mum's cats case though.
The first I knew about it was when I remarked on how easy the cat was moving and my mum told me about the pills.

Jon Stewart 20 Jul 2016

With the internet at your disposal you could find out the answer to this question pretty definitively - and not by asking UKC!
 Dave the Rave 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> With the internet at your disposal you could find out the answer to this question pretty definitively - and not by asking UKC!

That could go for most things on here Jon, but from ukc you get answers from people that you may trust more than reviewers of Internet articles?
 Jon Stewart 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

This is a specifically academic question though, it has an answer according to the best evidence.

Anyone who trusts UKC more than a published review of the literature is not getting good information! Yes, getting the answer off the internet takes a bit of skill, but unless someone provides a link to something decent and the OP ignores everything else, asking UKC just muddies the water.

UKC is brilliant for some things, e.g. finding a plumber in Sheffield, or getting opinions about a car. For medical advice, it is wholly inappropriate!
 Dave the Rave 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I don't know whether getting medical or other advice is inappropriate on here. There are people who are medical/ veterinary trained and I appreciate their advice.
 Jon Stewart 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Yes, fair enough. I've given out a bit of advice about eyesight/glasses/contact lenses before, for free

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...