UKC

Moving to Bristol or London?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Euan Todd 20 Jul 2016
Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice here.

I am currently based in Glasgow, but have just got offers for two good jobs and so I need to choose one and move. One is in Bristol, the other central London.

I would be interested to hear from folk in the know regarding outdoor and indoor climbing opportunities (and trail running too ideally) in these areas.

Any advice/information you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Euan
 CurlyStevo 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:
no brainer go to Bristol. I've lived in both...

London is a complete nightmare if you want to outdoor climb, its generally a long drive with crazy traffic. I'm actually born in London (until age 15) however as an adult I found it too much. Its dirty, busy, urban and impersonal.

Bristol is a vibrant city with lots going on. The surrounding countryside is nice too.

There is reasonable climbing inside the city on limestone at the Avon Gorge and lots within a short drive. Further afield a 2.5 hours drive gets you to Pembroke and or Cornwall both of which host some of the best sea cliff climbing in the UK. Its also only a couple of hours to Portland the best sport climbing destination in the UK. The western peak district is also only 2.5 hours a way.

It is quite poorly connected for mountain climbing, but for walking / running / biking you have the area around the black mountains which isn't far.

Dartmoor whilst not mountainous does have a nice feel to it and is under two hours away, with a lot of bouldering and mostly shorter routes.
Post edited at 19:00
 stubbed 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Definitely Bristol. We visited a friend 30 minutes from there last weekend - near the coast, lovely countryside and some quite lovely places nearby that are quite wild. We also spent the night in the city centre, drove in and out easily, walked along the river, went to a party, it was really pleasant. Plus I imagine it would be considerably cheaper.
 Monk 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

This has to be the easiest choice ever -Bristol every time. Crags in the city for a quick hit and easy access to Devon, Dorset and Wales and not that far to Cornwall, Peak and Lakes. Loads of good indoor walls and great city. London has some excellent indoor walls but they're expensive and busy. Getting to any rock is not much fun and takes ages. Southern sandstone is fun to climb but not like anything else. If you want leading you will have to drive at least 2 hours, probably more.
 TXG 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Another vote for Bristol (by a MILE). Have lived here for 16 years. Lots of decent climbing within 30 mins drive, and it seems like everywhere is within 2.5 hours for weekend trips. There are 2 excellent bouldering walls and 2 lead walls in the city. There's a big and very friendly climbing scene. One of the main things about the South West is the year round climbing. I've done all of my hardest redpointing in the winter, when the South facing crags of Brean (if you're feeling lazy) or portland (if you're up for more of a drive) often have great conditions. Most winters I've climbed outside every weekend.

I've done a bit of off road running. The city stops pretty suddenly to the South and you have loads of good running and off road races (Leigh Woods, Mendip etc, etc). You've also got the South Wales fell racing stuff 40 mins to an hour away. There seem to be lots of running groups around the city (all on facebook) where people meet up for off road runs a couple of times a week.

The city itself is brilliant, all the best points of the cosmopolitan and the parochial somehow mixed together. There's almost always something going on, and that something frequently seems to have something for everyone.

It's Gert Lush - get down 'ere!

Let me know if you need any more info (specific links etc)

Tom
 Xavierpercy 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

I did a crag search and there are 364 crags within 50 miles of Bristol. There are 94 within 50 miles of Buckingham Palace (and most of these did not seem like proper crags).
Bristol is a great city with some really good walls for bouldering and leading, London on the other hand is a hell hole.
I hope that helps.
 Babika 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

A simple look at a map would seem to suggest that Bristol is indeed the no brainer answer.

However I worked in central London for 10 years and spent every weekend driving to the crags and the mountains before I got fed up and moved. Its all possible. There's also a big selection of indoor walls in London, all over the place.

Perhaps a more important question is "which is the better job?". Not just now, in terms of pay packet but lots of other intangibles like career prospects, enjoyment, working and travelling environment etc. You're going to be spending the largest part of your week doing that, not climbing, so I would give more thought to that aspect.

Good luck
 shaymarriott 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Absolutely Bristol.

Great indoor and outdoor climbing all over the place, great nightlife, music, food but still relatively small and very friendly. Not as cheap as some places I've lived, but far more so than London.
 Bobling 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Hey Bristol folk let's not forget the Gower too! Left home at 6.40 on Saturday and was pulling up down the road from Three Cliffs Bay by 8.20 or so. Pity it was raining!
abseil 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Babika:

> However I worked in central London for 10 years and spent every weekend driving to the crags and the mountains before I got fed up.... Perhaps a more important question is "which is the better job?".... I would give more thought to that aspect.

Good points in your post. I also worked in London and while far from ideal for climbing, I made a ton of money that enabled me to do so much climbing - including in Bristol. I never could've had those opportunities staying in Bristol (you may, of course. That's just my story). For me, London had a lot of advantages too in non-climbing areas.
 Simon Pelly 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Simple. Bristol. Lived here for 20+ years. Bundles of climbing, mountain biking, running, etc... within easy reach. Lucky enough to have 15mins walk from my house to the Avon gorge. There are now four indoor climbing venues in Bristol. All pretty good IMHO.

Not forgetting front door to airport within 25mins for those European adventures.

Simon...
 donuthead8 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Anothef vote for Bristol.
 hairy51 20 Jul 2016
In reply to donuthead8:

Bristol is the place to be. Evening climbs in the Wye Valley just 30 mins away...
 Misha 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

That's a no brainer as others have said. Also think of property / rental prices. You'd need to get paid a LOT more to afford something in London which is of a similar standard to what you could get in Bristol. Plus much less commuting, both to work and to the crags. I do know a couple from London who have a van and get out most weekends but they have to put up with long drives. I also know someone who lives in London, doesn't get to do as much climbing as a result and hates it as far as I can tell.
 springfall2008 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Bristol by far, lots of local outdoor climbing in 30 mins drive and also indoor walls without crazy rules you get in the South East.

Also, look at the price of housing in the South East, you can rent or buy a house in commute distance of Bristol without being rich!

Dr.S at work 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Brizzle

Flight to Glasgow 4 times a day, hire car, highlands in under three hours from my front door.

Plus all the other stuff.

Cider.

The Crown.
 Trangia 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

London

It's much closer to SS than Bristol........
 BnB 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Do you like hot foreign girls?
 ericinbristol 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

If you love climbing, Bristol by an absolute mile. Avon, Cheddar, Wye Valley, Brean right on hand with many minor crags. Superb range of indoor climbing when the weather is crap. A bit further afield and you have Gower, Pembroke, Dartmoor, Portland then there is Devon and Cornwall.....
Graeme G 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

Is it too late to vote for Glasgow?
 CurlyStevo 21 Jul 2016
In reply to TXG:
Climbed outside ever weekend of the winter huh. Rose tinted glasses per chance?. I can think of many winters it's rained heavily for weeks on end. But you are right if it's not raining there are good options in the sw. South facing sea cliffs in particular.
Post edited at 09:22
 remus Global Crag Moderator 21 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

It's not that hard to climb every weekend. I live in bristol and I've only missed climbing outdoors 3 weekends in the last 18 months.
 duchessofmalfi 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

"Is it too late to vote for Glasgow?"

Go on then - give us a Bristol vs Glasgow pitch
Graeme G 21 Jul 2016
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

Not enough time or bandwidth. My short answer would be is Bristol in Glasgow? If not don't go.
 duchessofmalfi 21 Jul 2016

It wasn't a flippant request- I like both places and they are both possibilities, I don't know much about the climbing scene in around Glasgow other than TCA and Ratho.
 TXG 21 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Climbed outside ever weekend of the winter huh. Rose tinted glasses per chance.

Hi Steve. Most winters you can climb every weekend if you're willing to drive. One of Swanage, Portland, Brean, Wyndcliff Quarry or Gower will be dry (generally sunny too)

I said "most winters" in my original post because I developed both gills and cabin fever during the 13/14 winter.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jul 2016
In reply to TXG:
I've climbed a lot on swanage and portland during the winter - weather allowing (I have family in the area and it was my closest trad crag for 5 years). I also lived in Bristol. I think its more like 50% of weekends during the winter months on average. But some winters is virtually no weekends and others its quite a lot of them but the average winter has got to be less than 100% by a fair margin.
Post edited at 10:46
 jondo 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

london is awful for climbing. the gyms are also not very good for commute.
bristol is awesome. climbing outside inside the city or close by.
gyms are nice too.
 doz generale 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

I've lived in both London and Bristol. For indoor climbing London has more to offer than Bristol by a long way. For access to outdoor climbing Bristol is better by a long way. Its on the door step to the whole of the south west with all that it offers + very close to south wales.

Other than climbing and outdoor sports what are you into? I moved from London to Bristol as wanted to settle down and have somewhere nice for my kids to grow up. If I was younger and single I would be bored in Bristol. It's quiet and provincial and quite drab in places, in some places it's hippyish and lacks a sense of humor.
London is far better for all things non climbing/outdoorsey. But I suppose it's about what else you want.

Graeme G 21 Jul 2016

Oh. Sorry. Crap signal just now. I'll answer properly later
In reply to Euan Todd:

London. You'll be back quicker that way
Graeme G 21 Jul 2016

Ok. So can't comment on Bristol.....my post was being a bit flippant. Point was Glasgow is an amazing city. However shopping, bars and restaurants aside. Climbing - a few decent walls in the city. And a few decent crags within an easy drive for evening climbing. In terms of general outdoors for hills. You've got the Campsies within 30 minutes, Arrochar and Killin within an hour. 2 hours gets you Glencoe and the Southern Cairngorms. 3 hours Inverness and Glen Shiel.

Basically all the space you need on your doorstep. When I read threads on here about music at crags like Stanage I have to laugh, I've never experienced anything like that.
 James B 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

As a Londoner (and someone who loves it here) even I must admit that Bristol has better outdoor climbing access.

In all other respects, London is the greatest city in the world
 d_b 21 Jul 2016
In reply to James B:

The people who live there certainly think so. Fortunately the attitude keeps most of them contained.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jul 2016
The main thing against the central belt IMO is there isn't a lot of after work cragging (say max 1 hr from getting in to your car to getting to the bottom of a crag and starting climbing). From Edinburgh Dunkeld and Northumberland are just that bit too far for after work IMO.
Post edited at 18:23
Graeme G 21 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yeah. Used to enjoy Loudon, Auchinstarry, Dumbie and Ben A'an. But yes the choice is very limited. Available, but limited
 bpmclimb 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

On the other hand, London could work. On climbing days simply get up 2-3 hours earlier and drive to Bristol
 Os_878 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Euan Todd:

In my opinion

I vote Glasgow! with things like Arrochar, Nevis and Dumbarton perfect although i was a peak man who moved to Bristol.

Bristol is a grey nasty city (although im not a city fan), however it does have alot going on with great places to eat and a 50/50 split of friendly people. climbers in the main are fine and the walls are good, with plenty of opportunity to get outside its a no brainier over London...providing the job is right. House prices can vary depending on where you want to live also.
OP Euan Todd 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Thanks for the replies everyone, they were very helpful!

I do love living/climbing in Glasgow - but both the jobs are fantastic opportunities and it would be daft not to take one.

I made the decision based on the job first, but it's nice to know it's the right option for climbing too!
In reply to Euan Todd:

Nice one mate. I'm sure you'll have a great time down there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...