UKC

Deep blister under callous

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shaymarriott 20 Jul 2016
Just got back from the bouldering wall (don't ask why I'm inside on a day like today!) having given myself an irritating little injury.

Went for a dyno to the top hold on a route, which was much sharper than I'd anticipated, and now I have a blister about the size of a 5p piece at the top of my palm under my middle finger. Got some stinging and a weird sensation of bending calloussy skin when I flex my hand. The blister isn't a 'normal' bubble right under the skin but seems quite a lot deeper.

Blister perhaps isnt the best word - it's like a flapper that hasn't flapped, if you see what I mean...

Any thoughts on dealing with it? I'm not sure whether it would heal if I left it, or whether I should lance it and hope for the best. If you've had something similar now's your time to shine.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum)
 La benya 20 Jul 2016
In reply to shaymarriott:

Best left alone, they heal best when clean, which the skin will do better than any plaster. It shouldn't get infected but if it does then is the time to remove the flap. It'll come off in its own time.
OP shaymarriott 21 Jul 2016
In reply to mark_wellin:

Thanks, I will leave it unpunctured.
 Bootrock 21 Jul 2016
In reply to shaymarriott:
CLIDT.

Clean.
Lance (only if painful)
Iodine
Duoderm
Tape.

Never tape directly onto a blister. Preferably leave it in tact, as said above.
However I have always cut and drained blisters. Especially in awkward places. Just force of habit. I prefer to drain it and clean it. Just the way I was taught/found it easier whatever I was doing. If your going to do it, latex gloves, clean/sterile kit, and sterile gauze to wipe the gunk away. Wash and treat it. Then keep it covered with duederm/second skin stuff and tape it. It's on your hand so going to be awkward.

Keep an eye on it, look for redness and puffiness of the skin and surrounding area. If there's redness, and your concerned it's getting infected, draw a circle round the redness. If the redness passes outside the circle, it's tracking and maybe infected. Seek medical attention.

If there's any doubt, then there is no doubt; get it checked by a professional.
Post edited at 22:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...