UKC

Family friendly crags Harris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Jul 2016
We're off to Harris for our holidays, kids are 4 and 6, and the oldest in particular is keen to climb. I'm aware of the big crags in Lewis and Harris, obviously those aren't suitable at the moment but are there any smaller accessible crags with easy-ish approaches (ie; not sea cliffs and not a massive walk) which anyone can recommend. I know the whole place is basically rock and I'm sure we can do some bouldering and exploring but I'm just trying to decide whether to put a rope and small rack in as well. I've only got an ancient Skye and Hebrides guide so not got access to up to date info. Thanks.
 Jon Stewart 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed Usersmm:

Not sea cliffs, and not a massive walk? Harris is not the place! If you're not going on a climbing holiday, I'd leave the kit at home. There might be stuff you can find with some exploration, but nothing mainstream.

There is one roadside crag, but the routes are nails!

Crulabhig
Removed User 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks, yes I've seen something about that crag, think we'd have to engage in some extreme hauling to get them up those routes. It just seems wrong to go somewhere with so much rock and not take climbing gear... but such is life with small children.
 Robert Durran 20 Jul 2016
I shall have a look through my secret big guidebook and see if there are any suitable places Presumably 'Reiff like' spots with non tidal, non abseil approaches are what you are looking for. And some easy routes ......
Post edited at 21:08
 Jon Stewart 20 Jul 2016

Definitely recommend having a look at Screaming Geo all the same. There's a really cool bothy built into the crag looking right out over the impressive/terrifying wall. You can go inside and have a brew - the kids will love it.
 Jon Stewart 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:
Big secret guidebook eh?

Does it reveal the secrets locked away from Gary Latter, e.g. where is the crag? where are the routes? what do they look like? how hard are they? That kind of thing?
Post edited at 21:11
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm only allowed to show it to climbing partners and even then I have to kill them at the end of the trip. An unfortunate abseiling incident usually suffices.

Anyway, it's all there in SMC journals if you look..........absolutely loads of stuff.

Removed User 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Thanks Robert. Reiff like would be perfect. Needs to be dog friendly as well obviously. Are you back on the islands yet, will we see you there?

A chance I'll be heading back next Wednesday or the first week of August, but weather dependent. How long are you there for? Did you see the photos from last week's trip?
 Jamie B 20 Jul 2016

There's a crag near to the Scalpay bridge which would be perfect for your kids - it does get used by a local outdoor centre who have placed stakes at the top so I would defer to them if they are using it. I'll see if I can get you a grid ref.
Removed User 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

Sounds good, thanks!
 Iain Thow 22 Jul 2016

Liceasto used to be used by the Scaladale Centre for taking kids. Couple of easy routes on the left end (D/VD) plus harder stuff further right up to E1. 2 minutes from the road. Some stake belays but they're a decade old. Ard Mhighe crag is only a few hundred yards away with nice bouldering at all grades. I particularly like "and the hooded one strode swampwards" at 5a, but it might be the name. Ard Mhighe rightly means "midgy headland", only go in a breeze!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...