UKC

Suggestions for Peak District bike ride

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stuartf 20 Jul 2016
I'm going to be in the Peak District on Friday and am looking for suggestions for a road cycle. Ideally a loop from Stoney Middleton, something in the region of 50-60 miles or possibly a little more. I live in Devon, so am used to climbing but would prefer to stay off the busiest roads if possible. Has anyone got any favourites they'd recommend?
 TobyA 20 Jul 2016
In reply to stuartf:

Stoney is a good place to start, as you head up from the main roads in the valleys there are loads of lanes with plenty of good climbs and descents that are rather quiet. From Stoney you can go up to Eyam (pretty as long as you don't catch the plague) and then over to Bradwell and Castleton. Climb Winnats Pass or even go up the old Mam Tor road (might need to walk a few metres if you have fancy wheels you don't want to touch gravel) then loop back south again - that would be a nice start. Just rip the relevant page out of an old AA map book (what I do!) and you'll find loads of possibilities. If you go east, up around Curbar, Stanage and Baslow are all nice lanes to ride too.
OP stuartf 20 Jul 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks - some good ideas to base a route on there. I'm also interested in cafe recommendations other than the obvious one at Grindleford.
 Stig 20 Jul 2016
In reply to stuartf:
Toby's right that you should head up above Eyam from there, quiet roads and stunning views of the entire Peak. Get up to William Hill road and on a steep downhill hang a sharp left turn. This is a lovely quiet lane that brings you out near the cutlery factory in hathersage. There you have options but what I would do is take the road up to Stanage (past the Scotsmans Pack); and turn off to the plantation. Turn again to Bamford and this lane brings you out near the Yorkshire Bridge. If you go straight across here you're on another quiet and rather lovely lane that comes out near hope. Sharp right then left takes you on the cruisey road to Edale village. Then do the classic Mam Nick climb (not deserving the scary reputation, it's a pretty steady climb); don't do the old road if you're on a road bike, that would be rubbish. Once past Mam tor, turn right onto the main road and another short blast along the main road. Once past rushup edge there is a small road off to the left (signposted to a cafe/b&b); then jink over the main Sparrowpit road onto an absolutely delightful narrow and very flat lane to Peak Forest. From there straight across the A623, and head through Wormhill and on to Millers Dale. option then to head up Blackwell Dale or probably better to go up to Litton (by now you will be in need of a pint in the Red Lion) and there is a really cool and thankfully not too hilly lane that winds alongside the busy A623 eventually joining it just before the final drop into Stoney. Not sure that will come out at 50 miles but makes up for it by being fairly hilly.

Cafes: we normally go to Pool Cafe in Hathersage but the cafe in the courtyard is a bit more posey and does proper cappuccino. penny pot cafe in Edale does good breakfast, cake and coffee.

Enjoy!
Post edited at 22:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...