UKC

Necklace for climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tiffanykate12 21 Jul 2016
I've recently got engaged (yay!), and obviously won't be wearing my ring whilst climbing. But I also don't want to leave it at home or (shock horror) in my crag bag.
Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a white gold necklace with a strong/reinforced catch so I can wear it around my neck without fear of it falling off or damaging the ring?
 Cheese Monkey 21 Jul 2016
In reply to tiffanykate12:

Jewellers
OP tiffanykate12 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Thanks for the input, but I've already tackled that myself. Wondered if any climbers had recommendations based on experience.

I'm surprised no jewellery shop you've been to have had strong catches available on their necklaces.

Good luck
 richprideaux 21 Jul 2016

Not decorative, but I use a length of accessory cord tied with double fishermans (basically a prussik loop with the knots separated). Yesterday it ended up with my friend's wedding ring on it whilst we went for a swim. It's secure and cheap... it might do as a temporary solution?
 chrisprescott 21 Jul 2016
 Greasy Prusiks 21 Jul 2016

Congrats and all that.

Tbh having a strong/reinforced chain around your neck isn't the world's best plan for climbing. Personally I'd do something different.
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

What would you suggest?

Put it in your pocket?
 jkarran 21 Jul 2016
In reply to richprideaux:

> Not decorative, but I use a length of accessory cord tied with double fishermans (basically a prussik loop with the knots separated). Yesterday it ended up with my friend's wedding ring on it whilst we went for a swim. It's secure and cheap... it might do as a temporary solution?

I've never been comfortable with the idea of accessory cord around my neck for climbing, it's basically a load bearing garrote if you get unlucky and it hangs up on something.
jk
 pebbles 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

how about a keyring you can quickly pop it onto which you can then attach to the keyring fob in your sack? wont get lost and wont risk strangling you or degloving your finger!
 richprideaux 21 Jul 2016
In reply to jkarran:

So are helmet straps, slings, camera straps*, articles of clothing and so on. It's probably better to have something snug and tucked under clothing than something baggy and liable to snag on things.

*granted, slings etc are hopefully under one arm too.
 quirky 21 Jul 2016

I use one of those little screw gate crabs that people use on keyrings etc attached to the chalkbag loop on my harness, not sure i would want anything too strong hung around my neck!!
 ChrisBrooke 21 Jul 2016

Personally I put my ring in the zipped coin pocket in my wallet, or if I think about it in time, I just take it off and leave it at home. I like wearing it though, so I get it back on as soon as I'm done climbing. Thought about string around my neck, but as others have said, don't fancy something strong around my neck.
 girlymonkey 21 Jul 2016
In reply to jkarran:

I climb with my ring on accessory cord. If you pull hard enough (if you were to fall and catch it for example) then the double fisherman's just pulls apart. But as has been said, if it is tucked into clothing, it shouldn't snag anyway. It is by far the easiest way of keeping track of a ring.
 galpinos 21 Jul 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hmmm, surely a double fisherman's DOESN'T come apart, i thought that was the whole point? Also, do you put the ring on the cord and tie a double fisherman's everytime? They aren't the quickest of knots?

I put my wedding band in the zip pocket of my wallet generally. Have considered the cord necklace but never got round to it (though would use an EDK).
 Babika 21 Jul 2016

On a big fat carabiner in the top of the sack always worked for me.

I have an unshakeable faith in the niceness of climbers
 jkarran 21 Jul 2016
In reply to richprideaux:

> So are helmet straps, slings, camera straps*, articles of clothing and so on. It's probably better to have something snug and tucked under clothing than something baggy and liable to snag on things.

AFAIK climbing helmet straps have a maximum breaking/release load specified to minimise the risk of asphyxiation. Slings and other straps can at least slip easily over the head and are typically worn under an arm as you say. To be honest I'm not overly comfortable having any of those things around my neck in an environment where they can readily get hung up (trees, spikey limestone etc).

I'm baffled by what someone has found to disliked in my factual statement. By all means do this if you're aware of and comfortable with the risk. I'm not.
jk

Hmm it's a tricky one. If it was me I'd probably attach it to a small carabiner inside the bag. You know those key clip things inside some rucksacks? Something like that.

If you want it visible (and why not?!) I'd go for a thing piece of string as a necklace. Maybe you could buy a clasp and use that to take it on and off?

Hope you get it sorted.

Just had a look and seen wish bone ring holder necklace things. Worth a look.
 timjones 21 Jul 2016

> Congrats and all that.

> Tbh having a strong/reinforced chain around your neck isn't the world's best plan for climbing. Personally I'd do something different.

Are you sure I've climbed many routes over many years with a wedding ring on a length of strong cord around my neck. It's never come remotely close to causing a problem.

Risk assessment is a multi stage process that involves identifying the risk AND THEN assessing the chances of it actually happening. I suspect you may be neglecting the second stage of the process
 Sir Chasm 21 Jul 2016

Leave it at home, unless you're worried that without a ring you'll forget you're engaged.

Very helpful, thank you!!
cap'nChino 21 Jul 2016

6mm nylon rope with a nice fig 8 in? May not be the fanciest necklace but it would do the trick. If you ever find yourself in a bind it could double as a prussick.
 MeMeMe 21 Jul 2016

Just swallow it, it'll be super safe until the next morning!
 climbwhenready 21 Jul 2016
I have a wedding ring, an engagement ring might be more tricky because of the stone... but:

I try to leave it at home.

If I don't I either thread it onto my keyring and keep my keys somewhere safe in my sack, or put it on a locking krab and attach that krab to something in my sack. I don't leave the krab on my harness or I'll no doubt try to build an anchor with it and bye bye ring.
Post edited at 12:18
 Trangia 21 Jul 2016

First and foremost - Congratulations!

I've not a lot to offer by way of suggestions, but I endorse Jkarran's concerns about wearing something round your neck that could potentially strangle you. Can you really not bring yourself to leave it at home when you go climbing? - it's only for a few hours

Climbing is a relatively rough pass time and personally I don't consider the risk of injury or just as importantly, loss, is justified.

If you trawl back through historical posts on this Forum from time to time you will see desperate pleas from folk who have lost rings at crags and I sympathise with their sense of loss.
 WaterMonkey 21 Jul 2016

Why not just leave it at home or take it off and leave in the car somewhere?
 Uniquecarrot 21 Jul 2016

As others have said, leaving it at home is probably the simplest, but I understand that if you're away for a weekend etc it'd be nice to have it with you to wear the rest of the time when not climbing.

I used to keep mine on me rather than leave in the sac - I had a tiny little tin and would put it in there and then in a zipped up chest or arm pocket.

Congrats! :0)
 Fraser 21 Jul 2016

I think this gets filed under 'First World Problems'. It's 'only' a ring and if it's that precious to you, just leave it at home where it's safe.

I never wear my wedding ring, didn't have (or frankly understand the need for) an engagement ring and don't consider it an issue, nor does my wife.

Whilst appreciating your perspective is different to mine, it's not really rocket science and I think you're over-analysing it. Happy hunting.
My husband has a chalk bag with a zippered pocket. We keep both our rings in there while we are climbing. Keeps them safe and always on his person rather than at the bottom of the crag. His is mammut but loads of companies have them.

I never liked the idea of having something hanging round my neck, but that's because in clumsy enough to get it caught or scratched.
Post edited at 13:02
Thanks for all your advice people. I know that to some it may appear to be a ridiculous question, but as a climber who goes away a lot I thought it worth getting other people's perspectives and see what other people have done. I realise it's not important to some, but appreciate the help!
 LastBoyScout 21 Jul 2016

Congratulations

My wedding ring gets clipped inside my rucksack if I've forgotten to leave it at home.

When I want to wear a ring, but not a metal one, I wear a silicone "stunt double" ring from http://www.saferingz.com/ - the website seems to be blocked by a malware threat at the moment, but as soon as that's resolved, they'll be back online. I've purchased from them twice without any problem.

I have 2 spare 6mm platinum-effect wedding rings - sizes 6/7 and 8/9 (I needed 7/8 which wasn't available when I first ordered) - that you're welcome to have.
 LastBoyScout 21 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> Hmmm, surely a double fisherman's DOESN'T come apart, i thought that was the whole point? Also, do you put the ring on the cord and tie a double fisherman's everytime? They aren't the quickest of knots?

I suspect he means you only tie one half of the knot - tight enough for friction to hold the other end in normal circumstances, but such that you could still pull it through in extremis.
 galpinos 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> I think this gets filed under 'First World Problems'. It's 'only' a ring and if it's that precious to you, just leave it at home where it's safe.

> I never wear my wedding ring, didn't have (or frankly understand the need for) an engagement ring and don't consider it an issue, nor does my wife.

> Whilst appreciating your perspective is different to mine, it's not really rocket science and I think you're over-analysing it. Happy hunting.

Before getting married and having a ring I didn't think i'd want or wear one but now feel a bit naked without one. I'm forever forgetting to take it off so often turn up at the crag/wall with it on.
 La benya 21 Jul 2016

get a tattoo ring, flog the lump of metal and buy literally anything more useful?

I've seen pictures of Tommy Caldwell with his wedding ring on a fairly snug, leather looking necklace. If it does for him...
 Tree 21 Jul 2016

I keep one of those mini keyring krabs on the chalk bag loop and use that: small enough to not catch on anything and it's behind me out of the way: if I fall hard enough to land on my arse, a scratched ring is the least of my worries.
 mountainbagger 21 Jul 2016
In reply to MeMeMe:

> Just swallow it, it'll be super safe until the next morning!

That depends on how scary the route is!
 DerwentDiluted 21 Jul 2016
Mrs Diluted wears her late fathers wedding ring which is of way more value to her than anything I'd offer her! She either leaves it at home, leaves it in the car in an unobvious but safe place or puts it on a screw gate in the top of a rucksack. I'd caution against wearing anything round the neck that does not have minimal breaking strength while climbing. Without sounding morbid I have seen a variety of bizarre and freak climbing injuries caused by things that seem quite innocuous or sensible, from a pinged gear induced blinding to a scalping. Your ring is understandably precious but wearing it round your neck either invites loss when you pull a sling off your shoulder and it snags, or the risk of a garotting.
Post edited at 14:17
 RX-78 21 Jul 2016

I knew a couple who got tattoo "rings" instead of the real thing, maybe that's an idea, never get lost or snagged on anything.
 marsbar 21 Jul 2016
In reply to RX-78:

More of a commitment too!
 cathsullivan 21 Jul 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> When I want to wear a ring, but not a metal one,

Just out of curiosity, when does that happen?
 marsbar 21 Jul 2016
In reply to cathsullivan:

Climbing or if he works with electrical stuff at a guess.
 cathsullivan 21 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> Climbing or if he works with electrical stuff at a guess.

I can imagine a lot of situations where you might want to take your rings off. What I'm struggling with is a situation where I would take my rings off but somehow need some kind of replica.
 TizzyA 21 Jul 2016

I thread mine onto my watch strap.
 marsbar 21 Jul 2016

Maybe if you can't wear a ring for work everyday for safety reasons, but you want to? My husband never wears his, it would get damaged at work, and possibly cause injuries, but he isn't bothered. My dad never had a wedding ring for the same reason.
 3leggeddog 21 Jul 2016

Congratulations

I am eternally grateful that it is tradition in my family not to wear rings as it means I don't have one to lose!

Family from fishing, mining and engineering where a ring frequently cost the wearer a finger or worse.

I know this wont help but do you really need to display your marital status?
 BusyLizzie 21 Jul 2016

I am so ancient that my wedding ring (more than 30 years old) has worn thin, and gained a sharp edge which cut my finger a while ago while climbing. So the wedding ring stays at home, I wear pretty much all the time a deputy wedding ring of cheap silver in a nice celtic pattern (well I like it anyway), and when climbing I take off the deputy wedding ring and put it on a small carabiner on my harness. Doesn't matter if I lose it, and the silver is soft so if I forget to take it off it isn't likely to do too much damage.
 adamkitson 21 Jul 2016

I got married last weekend, and have been thinking about what to do with my wedding ring when climbing too.

I think leaving it in the glove box will be the most sure way of keeping it safe and not ending up suspended by the neck from a hold!

In terms of freak accidents, anything can happen! At a bouldering wall I witnessed a guy hop off a problem, and as he dropped his trouser leg slipped over a pointed hold. It was over a bridge/roof bit and he ended up suspended upside down totally attached to the hold by his trouser leg until a few of us lifted him high enough that he could free his leg. The reason I mention that is that in hundreds of hours climbing I've never seen that before or since. It'd only take one event like that with a cord around your neck and you could be dead on the spot! The only way I'd wear so ething like that is with a weak link of very weak fishing line or something in it. Personally I couldn't be bothered with that. Mine will stay in the car.
 melocoton 21 Jul 2016
I thread my wedding ring on to the length of thin tat that I have my whistle on and hang round my neck. You can larks foot it on if you don't want it to rattle. That's also what I did with my engagement ring and it never came to any harm, neither did I.
Post edited at 22:01
 Billhook 21 Jul 2016

FFS!!! You're climbers! Simply put it in a loop of 9mm or 11mm rope - cut off a meter off your existing rope if you've not got spare. Tie it round your neck. And it also doubles up as a spare sling. Sorted.

Ps I'll start a new thread on the appropriate knot to tie a wedding ring off with.

Dave the Rave 21 Jul 2016

My Mrs wears a very attractive pearl necklace that I give to her before a climb. It has the benefit of no cord to cause asphyxiation if entangled and the bonus of a quick protein fix when at the crux.
I can knock them out for next to nowt
 mack 21 Jul 2016

Take your elastic hair tie off, thread the ring onto it (pass the band through the ring so you have a loop each side, pop one side through the opposite loop) and tie up your hair with it so the ring becomes a part of your hair tie. If at any point in climbing you get worried about it just put your hand back and it's easily checked..
=)
 Pedro50 21 Jul 2016
In reply to TizzyA:

> I thread mine onto my watch strap.

Wearing a watch is almost as daft as wearing a ring IMHO
 girlymonkey 22 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

I don't have it to hand to take a pic, but will try to describe it. The cord does two full wraps around my neck, double fisherman's at the front, in such a way that they pull away from each other, not towards. To put the ring on, I pull them apart a little, larks foot the ring, and push the knots towards the ring to hold it in place.
 Martin W 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Caroline_Schofield:
> a chalk bag with a zippered pocket

Probably the ideal solution, I'd have thought. It's with you when you're climbing, so no worries about theft, but in a place it can't easily be lost from. One of my pals carries his wedding ring this way.

I'd second those who advise against cord round the neck. There's a reason company ID badge lanyards have those easy-fail clips in them. However, carry your ring on something like that and if it does get snagged and break, nine times out of ten that's your ring gone. Keeping it instead in a secure pocket in your chalk bag reduces the chances of that happening considerably. Also, you tend to be aware of whether you still have your chalk bag with you (it's almost a talisman for some climbers!) And if the chalk bag does contrive to detach itself and make a bid for freedom, it should be a whole lot easier to find than a ring.

If the gold necklace idea is because you want something sparkly, you could always bling up your chalk bag!

(And to timjones: you missed the bit about assessing the impact of the risk if it were to occur. A low low likelihood/low impact risk can probably be accepted; low likelihood/high impact really ought to have some mitigation. Strangulation would be rated a fairly high impact if I were doing the assessment...)

P.S. Congratulations!
Post edited at 08:11
 jkarran 22 Jul 2016
In reply to melocoton:

> I thread my wedding ring on to the length of thin tat that I have my whistle on and hang round my neck. You can larks foot it on if you don't want it to rattle. That's also what I did with my engagement ring and it never came to any harm, neither did I.

If you larksfoot it onto the cord it can potentially work its way off the cord.
jk
 galpinos 22 Jul 2016
In reply to girlymonkey:

I think I get it but not sure. Do the knots stop the ring from "un-larksfooting" itself?
 LastBoyScout 22 Jul 2016

> I can imagine a lot of situations where you might want to take your rings off. What I'm struggling with is a situation where I would take my rings off but somehow need some kind of replica.

My wedding ring is slightly big for me - must have had warm hands when trying sizes. It comes off quite easily when I've got cold hands, especially so if they're wet, and I also find it can dig in doing other sports and things, so I tend to wear the silicone one for swimming, surfing, cycling and so on. I still don't wear one at all for things like climbing and DIY and sometimes forget to put it back on and go without for a couple of days.

As to why I'd wear it instead of just taking it off? Just seemed like a nice idea that I could still wear one without risking the proper one or me.
 oldie 22 Jul 2016

Nappy pin. Cheap. Can be fastened to many things inc. pocket lining, cord etc. Unlike safety pins won't come undone and stab you. I've also used them for quick repairs to clothing and other equipment.
 girlymonkey 22 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Yes.
 Landy_Dom 22 Jul 2016

For a long time I took mine off and tied a single overhand knot (including the ring) into the 4 or 5mm accessory cord that my chalk bag is on. The cord is tied round my waist with a reef knot. Simple and safe.
 marsbar 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Landy_Dom:
I think a rethreaded figure of 8 with stopper knot would be more appropriate.

Only on UKC a debate about the correct way to tie a ring on.
Post edited at 10:59
 timjones 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Martin W:

> (And to timjones: you missed the bit about assessing the impact of the risk if it were to occur. A low low likelihood/low impact risk can probably be accepted; low likelihood/high impact really ought to have some mitigation. Strangulation would be rated a fairly high impact if I were doing the assessment...)

You're quite correct that you should consider the impact but I'd rate the likelihood as exceedingly low and mitigate the risk by tying the cord very short so that it only just fits over my head.

I dislike the style of risk assessment that says you absolutely shouldn't do something rather than considering how you can do it whilst reducing the risks to a minimal level.

Yanis Nayu 23 Jul 2016

Can't you just leave it at home?
 PPP 23 Jul 2016
 OwenM 23 Jul 2016

Friend of mine clips her keys to her bra strap with a small crab, should work for rings as well.
 Wayne S 23 Jul 2016

Hi, Congrats.

My wedding ring lives on some 2mm cord around my neck. Snug enough not to get snagged but long enough to just tuck into clothing.

Cord is never untied or ever taken off. Ring is larks footed to it. Once you work out how to drop it on and off the cord while still on your neck it's simples.

Shame on the folk who think you need to take the cord off! Go work it out!

I guess there is some risk, but it has never snagged for me in many years, plus I feel much happier with my ring with me.

Plus it's kinda climber chic!

kylieo 23 Jul 2016

Not really what you're asking for, but pretty cool all the same:
http://www.rockclimbingjewelry.com/necklaces/climbing-rope-chain-carabiner....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...