UKC

Eden - Anyone seen it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuanTinco 21 Jul 2016

Watched the first episode last night - despite myself i think i might get hooked. Actually found it pretty well done, and didn't try and push the drama too much.

Would say it's worth a watch

Juan
Post edited at 15:07
 Dell 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

I wasn't taken in by it. There isn't enough diversity amongst the participants, I could easily believe that they are just a bunch of mates all from the same town. With an added working class black person as a token gesture.
Scenery's nice though.
 Greasy Prusiks 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

I'm on the fence wasn't hooked but will definitely try episode 2.
 Fraser 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Saw the first hour and then realised it was on for a while longer, so gave up and went to bed. It was okay and quite well done as you say, but a couple of the women really got on my nerves. For me, the most likable characters so far were the vet and the cook. The carpenter chap was pretty decent too.

I really enjoyed the tv series 'Castaway', back in 2000; this seems very similar but with slightly more annoying people.
 Dr.S at work 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Where was it based? not sure if there were some views of skye on the horizon?
Removed User 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

I'll continue to watch for a few more weeks. The production company is clearly aiming at the 20-30 viewing public. The participants aren't any sort cross section of the population. One black guy?????
 nathan79 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Ardnamurchan peninsula so it would indeed have been Skye.
 cander 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Mrs C wouldn't let me watch it - she said "I'm not sitting listing to you rant at the telly for an hour like you did with Bear Grylls" hey ho - the key to a successful marriage
Removed User 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

It's Rum.
 deepsoup 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:
> It's Rum.

No, nathan79 is correct, it's Ardnamurchan. About a mile South of Ardtoe, on the opposite side of the Kentra Bay estuary.

There's a map of the exact area they've closed off here (scroll down to the last page): http://www.highland.gov.uk/download/meetings/id/69195/item_25_section_11_la...

There's a longish thread about the access issues on UKRGB, might be of interest to hillwalkers as well as sea-paddlers: http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121474
 Max factor 22 Jul 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

I caught some of this on catch up. For some reason I had thought it was a drama, not reality TV but hey-ho.

Agree that the population feels a bit like big-brother, but at least (most of) the participants have relevant skills and some gumption. Not sure that yoga teachers, life coaches and rowing instructors will be critical come the apocalypse.

I predict it will get interesting later when people are bored and f*cked off with each other. I'm hoping for lord of the flies.
 pebbles 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Max factor:

christ no, I'm really hoping theyve avoided the Go-To "lets pick an ill assorted bunch with no appropriate skills who will kill each other on live tv" scenario and do it as a serious thing, just let us see what happens if people seriously decide to do it. If I want to watch celebrity seeking narcissists bitching at each other I'll watch come Four in a Bed instead.
 Bootrock 22 Jul 2016
I am going to play Devils advocate here.

Black people only make up 3% of the UKs population.

So 3% of 23 is 0.69 so 1 "black guy" in 23 people actually it is a "cross section" of society.

Let's stir things up a bit shall we.

Oh. And the TV show is a load of turd. All those stupid TV adverts. What a waste of good countryside for those city folk to cut about and think they are bear grylls.
Post edited at 10:13
 galpinos 22 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:
I'd prefer this Eden:

vimeo.com/141652213
Post edited at 11:21
Removed User 22 Jul 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Meant the island in the distance, that's Rum.
Removed User 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

Maybes but what about all the other ethic groups. They're conspicuous by their absence.

At least the black guy has some practical skills. It could be a long hungry winter if the young 'uns don't get their arse in gear.
 deepsoup 22 Jul 2016

Oh yes of course.
 Bootrock 22 Jul 2016

Here's a crazy idea, maybe none of them wanted to do it?

You can't have everyone in everything at one time, all the time.

Maybe they thought it would be offensive to have other religious groups involved in something called Eden? You lot seem to love some good PC nonsense.

Maybe they should have called in Jannat Adni. To appeal to other ethnic groups. Always seems to be one group that over rides the others needs.

Or maybe you're all just over thinking it.

Removed User 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

> Maybe they thought it would be offensive to have other religious groups involved in something called Eden? You lot seem to love some good PC nonsense.>

Cheap shot son. Even in my small corner of rural England my neighbours are more diverse but then when I go to work.............

The New NickB 22 Jul 2016

I think one of the problems with getting a representative crowd is people being able to do it.

Not so much ethnicity, but age. Generally to take part in something like this you need to be single and without major work or financial ties. This generally means young.

I think it could be an interesting experiment and a good personal challenge, but I couldn't leave the girlfiend and stepdaughter for a year and on top of that expect her to pay the mortgage.
 Dell 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

Replace the word 'black' with the now oft used BME, and you can see how limited the range of contestants are.
The black guy is without doubt the most useful member of the group, the rest of them are just arsing about.
 Bootrock 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Dell:
Is he useful because of his skin colour? Or because of his attitude?

Who cares if he is black? Is he an asset? Can he get the job done? Yes? Good.

There's 23 men and women. I couldn't give a toss what colour they are or which fairytale the believe in, or what bloody society depicts, as long as they get the task in hand done. And at the end of the day, it's a TV programme. It isn't real.

You don't always have to make something from nothing.

Wait, where are the gender queer representation? or the Transgender representation? They called them men and women? That's offensive. Its blatantly a transphobic, cisgender privileged programme.

I want to see a black, transgender, gender fluid, disabled, Muslim.

Post edited at 13:46
 Bobling 22 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Quality ironing TV for me. Now I can pick between this and "999: What's Your Emergency" (or both if I really get into the swing of things as I did last night).

Enjoyed the first episode but not impressed with the diversity of *contestants*, all young, pretty (blimey, I'd become the shepherdess' assistant any day of the week!) and white. I don't mind for the PC aspect more that it would be more interesting if there were more different people on and less like Big Brother writ large.

Jeez but it could get grim in Winter, long dark, cold days with feck all to eat.

As ever you wonder how much your opinion is being influenced by clever editing (a lot!).
 Dell 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Bootrock:

Black people are better than white people. That's all I'm saying.
 Bootrock 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Dell:

How awfully racist of you.

Brass Nipples 22 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

It's not representative of stereotypes where are all the fat ones who sit on their arses making no contribution?

OP JuanTinco 22 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Well that escalated quickly.

I guess it's only episode 1, but it does seem to be rather than following the group as a whole 5 or 6 characters have been selected and the episode based around them, will be interesting to see if that changes.

On that note, I'm not convinced that we have seen everyone, so who knows you might have a broader range of people - although that would create more questions in terms of channel 4's lack of filming skills.

Juan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...