UKC

Overlapping Wall, Carreg Wastad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveboote 21 Jul 2016
Hi people, took a lob off this today, Pitch 2 ( crux over overlap) , followed chalk above the arête and overlap but some descriptions ( ukc) say 'head left after arête and take overlap at it's lowest point'...on later seconding passed a peg not mentioned. Has this route got two variations over the overlap on pitch 2? One harder? Appreciate local knowledge..cheers
 Mick Ward 21 Jul 2016
In reply to steveboote:

Hi Steve, hope you're OK. I remember doing this with Al Randall about six or eight years ago. 'Cos of it's age, I fondly imagined it would be a romp. Not so. Can't remember the exact sequence but it featured a poor wire, a very old peg and some decidedly awkward moves through the overlap. The rest of the pitch seemed much easier (VS/HVS?) I couldn't find any decent gear so went into soloing mode.

Given it's the Wastad, have holds come off? I knew of someone with very limited experience who did this as his first Extreme in the 60s. Yikes!

Mick
OP steveboote 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:
Cheers Mick hope you're well too, I first led it in 1982, I didn't have small wires ( or offsets) I do remember a thread? Older topos show it going left,...perhaps with age we're guilty of expecting too many 'romps' these days !
 alan moore 21 Jul 2016
In reply to steveboote:
I remember working diagonally up left from a non-descript point in the chimney line above the stance. small holds and with poor, small wires. Quite sustained for a while before crossing the overlap and wandering up easier slabs above. Did Elidor on the same day, which I found even harder.
Post edited at 23:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...