UKC

PSA: Roads around Stanage and Burbage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 22 Jul 2016
Warning for any roadies planning to go over Burbage and past Stanage this weekend - the roads have been given a surface dressing and are awful to ride on. Particularly bad is the stretch below Apparent North - and probably all the way down to the Scotsman's Pack.

Also for those of you driving there this weekend, please obey the 20 mile speed limits and please slow down if you are passing a cyclist - being sprayed with gravel isn't nice.
 Stig 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Same on the other side of the peak, it seems that Derbyshire are doing this to all the minor back lanes (whether they need it or not). The old Hayfield-Chunal road for example was in perfectly good condition, that is, before they put about an inch of loose gravel on it).
 gethin_allen 22 Jul 2016

This "road dressing" really pisses me off, they do such a poor job of it that it's just a menace to all road users. They did a road near me a few weeks back, a 50 mph road 3 lanes wide (2 one way and 1 the other alternating), they did the job at night in the pissing rain and already the surface chippings have worn away to strips of tar in the braking areas of the roundabouts.
The really silly thing is that the road was in generally very good condition with only a few small areas worn, so they've made the road worse!
In reply to gethin_allen:

Money for someone, Thought for no one!
In reply to Stig:

Derbyshire CC seems to have fundamental problems with ROW/highway maintenance and covering everything in gravel seems the only option they ever consider

http://www.peakdistrictmtb.org/index.php/101-the-rushup-edge-saga-is-anythi...
 Stig 22 Jul 2016

What is frustrating is that they lay superb tarmac in short sections (e.g. the beginning of the Rushup-Castleton road where it joins the Chapel bypass was recently re-done). I suspect it comes down to supposed cost saving imperatives, unskilled or careless contractors, and lack of principal oversight.
 robert-hutton 22 Jul 2016

Went over Stanage on Wednesday and had to unclip as very deep gravel and people driving with disregard to other users,they seemed to have swept the surface today so bit better.
 Dark-Cloud 22 Jul 2016

They have done large stretches of the south lakes too, i have no idea why on a lot of it as there was noting wrong with the surface.....
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I there a reason why it gets done in hot weather ? Is it supposed to bed in quicker I wonder ? When I rode through Borrowdale last month I was convinced I had a flat tyre as all of a sudden the road was really draggy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...