UKC

DLOG queries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 22 Jul 2016

I'm revisiting the idea of finishing off my Summer ML (long term SPA, ML trained ten years ago), and getting going with MIA.

Is DLOG worth having; i.e. is it going to make the above process easier? (I believe it's compulsory for some logged experience for MIA).

Am I likely to be able to log everything for the above awards with the free registration, or will I have to pay for the "Premium" registration?

If I use DLOG my first step will be to log 4000+ rock climbs, hopefully by copying across the contents of my UKC logbook. However, a first glance at the DLOG database shows fewer than half the climbs at one particular recently-visited crag. Will DLOG reject all the others?

Thanks
Post edited at 10:29
 climbwhenready 22 Jul 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

I don't know about MIA, but for ML the assessor should be happy with a paper log. In some ways a paper log allows much more flexibility than banging the whole thing into the constraints that DLOG has.

You do not need premium registration. It is essentially just a way of making your profile public.

I think that DLOG allows logging of climbs that aren't in its database..... try it and see?
 SenzuBean 22 Jul 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

> Is DLOG worth having; i.e. is it going to make the above process easier? (I believe it's compulsory for some logged experience for MIA).

About the only easier things is that you can easily count and query your records, and edit the contents more easily. Otherwise as far as I know, it's practically no different to bringing a paper log to your assessment. It's also useful as you can add to your log wherever you are - i.e. I often write up my logs at Monday morning at work, whereas if I had a paper log, it's highly likely I'd forget my logbook at home.

It sounds like you may already have a fully written log?
OP bpmclimb 22 Jul 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Climbing: I keep my log up-to-date on UKC
Walking: paper log, bit sketchy, needs updating
Instructing: info only exists in old diaries, invoices, etc.
 Jim Walton 22 Jul 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

You can transfer your UKC Logbook onto your Dlog with a couple of clicks on the Mouse.
OP bpmclimb 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim Walton:

> You can transfer your UKC Logbook onto your Dlog with a couple of clicks on the Mouse.

Thanks - I did see that that was possible. What I'm not sure of is whether my entire log will transfer across (including climbs which aren't in the DLOG database). Anyway, I will try it and see what happens.
OP bpmclimb 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim Walton:

> You can transfer your UKC Logbook onto your Dlog with a couple of clicks on the Mouse.

You made it sound so simple! But I have to admit I was a little sceptical; thought it might prove a stickier process than that. Justifiably so, as it turns out - DLOG is missing about 350 of my climbs, can't deal with them, for some reason, and the "downloading" and "validating" processes have now taken over an hour, and still going
 AlH 23 Jul 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

It is worth going DLog if you can at all. It means an Assessor can access your logbook in advance of the course easily and often makes it easier for us to review it (it is useful to have logbook reviews done before assessment and I have suggested to people that they postpone Assessment before it began based on insufficient experience- this saves them time and money). You don't need every day/route you have ever done in there individually (and the imports to DLog from UKC are imperfect). Think of your logbook as your CV, not just your chance to show you meet the minimum requirements but your chance to sell yourself. Make sure you have the listed minimum requirements in there in detail and a healthy number more will make your extra experience obvious. Older and more historical/background/related experience can be uploaded as a word doc./photo scan/excel spreadsheet.
You definitely do not need premium.
Hope that helps.
OP bpmclimb 23 Jul 2016
In reply to AlH:

Ok, thanks for the advice.
 jethro kiernan 24 Jul 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:
One thing very handy with DLOG is you can upload GPS for the ML stuff, very handy
 jezb1 24 Jul 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

With all your routes, a few missing ones from the transfer won't matter.

I log all my routes on ukc and dlog now, it doesn't take too long.

From an assessing point of view it means I can check candidates pre course which is ideal.
 Andy Say 24 Jul 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:
> Thanks - I did see that that was possible. What I'm not sure of is whether my entire log will transfer across (including climbs which aren't in the DLOG database). Anyway, I will try it and see what happens.

The entire log won't transfer. In my case about 2,000 routes It could be spelling, grade anomalies, a host of things. You will get a CSV of what has been rejected. AND adding stuff that is rejected is easy. If the crag is missing from the DLOG just click the + icon and type in the missing crag. Ditto with routes. Watch your spelling. There are numerous errors in the system due to dodgy input. You wouldn't believe how many Stanage, Stannage, Standedge, Stannige's there are in the Peak! And what total div has put Widdop in 'Yorkshire Limestone......'
Post edited at 09:36
 Andy Say 24 Jul 2016
In reply to AlH:

> It is worth going DLog if you can at all. It means an Assessor can access your logbook in advance of the course easily.

Alan, wouldn't it be cool if candidates could access their assessor's DLOG so they could see a really good example.

AlH 24 Jul 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Ouch.
Yes... it would take me a loooooooong time to scan my paper logbook pre MIC and since then it would be a lot easier just to link to my blog!
 Andy Say 24 Jul 2016
In reply to AlH:

You don't have a DLOG record? Alan, tch tch
 Mark Eddy 24 Jul 2016
In reply to jezb1:

When I recently did the transfer from UKC to Dlog it missed off circa 200 climbs, but it wasn't clear which climbs were missed from the transfer. When submitting this for MIA assessment, if it misses off 100 VS+ routes and maybe there's about that many logged on the UKC record, that makes the logbook look very weak! So it depends which climbs are missing.

I think the suggestion of having access to an assessors Dlog is valid as this can stand as an 'outstanding' example for us to work towards.....
 Paul at work 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> I think the suggestion of having access to an assessors Dlog is valid as this can stand as an 'outstanding' example for us to work towards.....

I thought so to. Which is why I am slowly updating my Dlog, one so candidates have no excuses up loading 40 routes or days. And two so I understand how to input the information, so that I can help my candidates input it themselves.

I've still got to get round to putting in my walking/scrambling/lowland/climbing wall days. Not to mention all of my instructing/coaching days.

Just watch out when transferring your ukc logbook that it doesn't log all of your routes as multi-pitch like it has for me.
 Andy Say 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Eddy:

I don't know how but I got a file generated of all the stuff that had rejected. A lot of bouldering as the grades weren't recognised and loads of summits as 'No matching grade'. And Dolomites routes at IV and V were rejected as there was no corresponding crag in 'winter climbing'.

I just worked through that file; still 150 to go...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...