UKC

Good routes for taking my Dad climbing on Lewis and Harris?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annep11 22 Jul 2016
Can anyone recommend a good route/crag for taking a beginner climbing on Lewis and Harris?

I want to show my Dad (50-something and in very good shape, but no climbing experience) what I spend all my spare time doing — but not the part that involves sketchy descents, loose blocks, or massive runouts!
 Robert Durran 22 Jul 2016
In reply to annep11:

The best I can think of that I've visited is the Folded Wall at Bhragair (in GL's guide). Simple abseil descent, non tidal, immaculate juggy rock, *** routes from Severe upwards. There's a Diff descent/escape route. Fabulous spot.
 Iain Thow 22 Jul 2016
In reply to annep11:

Sunset Rib (D) is superb. An immaculately positioned Diff in a great wild place. Atmospheric, sound, single pitch, easy scramble in at most tides.
 DaveL1234 22 Jul 2016
In reply to annep11:
A couple of decent climbs near mangersta not difficult at all and right next to bothy.
 Bulls Crack 22 Jul 2016
In reply to annep11:

That has to be one of the most specific requests ever on here! Compare to the 'Recommend me something between VD and E7 in Northern Europe.' tropes.
 Robert Durran 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Compare to the 'Recommend me something between VD and E7 in Northern Europe.' tropes.

This sort of thing? http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=646271
 springfall2008 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

Lol, I did say HS-HVS
OP annep11 24 Jul 2016
In reply to annep11:

Thanks for all these suggestions -- we're heading north in a couple weeks so will see if the weather cooperates and if we can get a nice afternoon or two by the sea. As it's an area with comparatively few logbook ticks, hope this thread (specificity or no!) helps someone else out in the future too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...