UKC

Confidence rope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andymil13 24 Jul 2016
Hi all,I wondered if anyone could help or offer advice. I did my summer ml training back in December (I know not really summer but yeah) and am lookin to get a confidence rope that I can practice safety on steep ground and confidence roping with a scared person. Iv had a look and was told to no go min than 8.5mm and 30m length. Iv looked at elridge and Beal but they are only 8.0mm and when I asked the guy in the shop if I could do body abseils on it he said they weren't suitable. So the question am Askin what confidence rope would people advise getting that I could use for ml prep. Thank you
 OwenM 24 Jul 2016
In reply to andymil13:

No idea about ML stuff but do you really think 0.5mm is going to make that much difference? What did you use on your course?
 Welsh Kate 24 Jul 2016
In reply to andymil13:

Thread yesterday about this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=646306

But, I use a Beal Rando, 30m of 8mm. We used it on my assessment with another guy's 8mm rope no problem. You can do a body abseil on it, but if you try a classic, it's not comfortable! If you've enough rope, the South African's more comfortable and secure whatever the rope you're using.
 top cat 25 Jul 2016
In reply to andymil13:

re abbing: surely in an ML setting you won't be abbing 30m......any abb will be very short, so a 30m rope can be used double, thus 8mm will be fine comfort wise.

The Beal Rando is fine.
 climbwhenready 25 Jul 2016
In reply to top cat:

what if your anchor's 15m back from the edge?
 top cat 25 Jul 2016
In reply to climbwhenready:

> (In reply to top cat)
>
> what if your anchor's 15m back from the edge?

Then you'll have an uncomfortable abb and have to leave the rope behind

So you carry x2 60m half ropes ???? )
Post edited at 12:18
 climbwhenready 25 Jul 2016
In reply to top cat:

Of course not I was just pointing out there are times that don't involve a 30m ab where you still can't use the rope doubled. I'm ML trained, not assessed, but IMHO there's quite a few terrain types in the UK where ML anchors are rather far back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...