UKC

Tents-wild country zephyos or vango helix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 llanberis36 24 Jul 2016
looking for a one man tent, under or around 100£, for occasional nights out, and light enough to carry for backpacking and ML training and assessment. Seen the zephyos and vango helix. Would like to be able to sit up if at all possible

any experiences
 deepsoup 24 Jul 2016
In reply to llanberis36:
I had just about made up my mind I wanted a Zephyros 2 the year before last then ended up buying one of these instead: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-i...

It's been very good, but a bit bigger/heavier than you want possibly and they don't seem to do an equivalent to the Zephyros 1.
Post edited at 12:23
 david100 24 Jul 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

i have the zephyros.
the design is a long tunnel supported in the middle by one pole and sloping to the ground at either end.

pros
very light and compact. plenty of space in the vestibule area for boots rucksack etc. robust. long lenthways. able to sit up inside.

cons
structure is completely dependant on getting the guylines pegged out correctly (one pole). can be very flappy in the wind even when correctly pegged.

for a 1 pole tent it is probably the best design out there for use of space.
dont know about the other one.

climbwhenready 24 Jul 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

Is the helix inner-first pitching?

Makes ML systems more complicated, IMHO.
 JEF 24 Jul 2016
In reply to llanberis36:

I've got the zephyros 1, I bought it in 2014 to hike the Hadrian's Wall Path. There's just enough of a porch for a rucksack, my boots spent the night in the void between fly and inner at the end. It pitches all in one and takes maybe 5 minutes.
I think I paid about £99, bargain I reckon.
You can't sit up, but that's the pay-off for the weight.
The only downside is condensation in cold weather, but spring and summer is fine. It's surprisingly warm because of the small air space.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...