UKC

my poor dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 26 Jul 2016
I may be particuarly bad tempered on the various BMC threads today. Sorry.

My poor retriever is seriously ill and is at the vets on a drip - probably seasonal canine illness, but knowing that doesn't make it any better. UKC is a useful distraction as far as it goes.

The poor mite is only 3 and it breaks my heart to see him quite so poorly

yah, I know. social media oversharing, but there you go...
 tmawer 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Sorry to hear this...very upsetting and worrying. I hope all goes well.
 Timmd 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:
Bodies are good at healing, it's what evolution has designed them to do, I've known of animals to come back from what seemed like their end times, and live healthily and happily afterwards.
Post edited at 13:54
OP toad 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd: hope so he's "just about holding his own" At the moment

jkarran 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Very sorry to hear that, it's a nightmare when they're ill and you feel helpless. Mine managed to get poisoned last year after he ate the contents of my bin complete with a significant amount of powdered lead-based glazing cement. He gave me a hell of a fright but eventually it turned out it was 'just' food poisoning. Fingers crossed you have him back and on the mend soon.
jk
 cander 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

yeah mines coming to end of the road, today, tomorrow, next week, next month? soon though. All a bit grim really. Good luck.
 Timmd 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

The death rate seems to have dropped from 20% to 2% for this condition.

http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/sickness-and-diarrhoea/seasonal-canine-i...
 Tall Clare 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Sending very best wishes for his recovery.
 Sean Kelly 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Got a good chance of a good recovery as it's a young dog. Mine went through a major op at 3 and was running down the corridor the next day with his plasma bag in tow!
 Ridge 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Sorry to hear that, hope all goes well.
OP toad 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:
Seems a little Perkier, but he's spending the night at the vets.
 coachio 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Really hope everything goes well for you as I know exactly what you are going through. We can't even visit our boy at the moment as he is in the Dick Vet hospital nearly 2 hrs away. (and has been in a vet hospital for over 2 weeks)

I have everything crossed for you if he's looking perkier I hope that he is on the road to recovery.
OP toad 26 Jul 2016
In reply to coachio:

you poor bugger, that must be really hard
 Flinticus 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Hang on in there. Youth is on his side. Hope it goes well for you both. I know it cuts to your core when your dog is ill and there's not much you can do.
 DerwentDiluted 27 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Spud sends licks and bum sniffs.
OP toad 27 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

still on a drip, but his vitals are steadily improving. Also increasingly miffed with being stuck in the vets, which is probably a good thing - he was flat yesterday
 StuDoig 27 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Great to hear he's improving! It's awful how helpless you feel sometimes when they're sick / hurt!

Stu
 cander 27 Jul 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

hope spuds a dog
OP toad 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

He just woofed a chicken breast this morning. Seems a lot brighter since I got him home last night, though definitely not right yet.

However, I now feel I can describe the scene in my kitchen at 7am on Tuesday. A 35 kilo dog with uncontrollable vomiting and explosive haemorrhagic diarrhoea. It involved an awful lot of clinical disinfectant. Agent picolax is for amateurs
 jkarran 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Great news, hope he keeps getting better and you don't see that chicken breast again any time soon!
jk
 Timmd 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:
Great news.

I guess the odds are in favour of him getting better if he's improved so far, they're 98% in his favour that he'll live.
Post edited at 13:08
 Ridge 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Good to hear. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.
 Wainers44 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Great news, hope he is back to normal very soon!
 Dax H 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Sounds well on the mend. Its very hard when a pet is ill.
Fingers crossed for a fast recovery
OP toad 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Thanks for all your good wishes. discharged from the vet until monday. Looks like a very near miss.
In reply to toad:
That's great news, sounds like your vets did you proud!
OP toad 28 Jul 2016
In reply to taddersandbadger: that they did. Worth every penny. And they were all really lovely with him and me both

Yanis Nayu 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Glad all is well.
 Bobling 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Yay!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...