UKC

BBC Advertising - Celebrity Authors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IceKing 28 Jul 2016
I've never quite got how this isn't blatant advertising but how come celebrities can appear on multiple shows plugging their wares, I assume for free? Isla Fisher has authored a kid's book (celebrity children's books by all and sundry is another discussion) and plugged it on the One Show last night and is on BBC Breakfast right now. Surely such adverts would cost millions for anyone else. Absolute gold mine! How come this isn't advertising?
 toad 28 Jul 2016
In reply to IceKing:

Dear lord, did you see the extended kelllogs advertising feature the other night with greg wallace? Shocking
 BnB 28 Jul 2016
In reply to IceKing:

Who's Isla Fisher?
OP IceKing 28 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

I watched two minutes of that and when he started banging on about how important it was to have our breakfast cereals fortified with vitamins and minerals (and half a tonne of sugar) I switched off in disgust! At least celebrity endorsements are clear about what they are. It was pretty blatant I agree.
OP IceKing 28 Jul 2016
In reply to BnB:

Well, yeah exactly. But obviously well known enough to receive several free advert slots on BBC.
 The New NickB 28 Jul 2016
In reply to BnB:

> Who's Isla Fisher?

Former Aussie soap actress turned third tier film star. Mrs Baron Cohen.
Graeme G 28 Jul 2016
In reply to BnB:

> Who's Isla Fisher?

Good god man. That's outrageous. Only reason to watch Wedding Crashers.
 knthrak1982 28 Jul 2016
In reply to IceKing:

Happens all the time on the One Show. You get given the impression that these celebs have popped in for a chat... then the real reason for their being there is revealed. Ditto Saturday Kitchen. Don't think I've ever seen an "agenda free" guest.

I'm not entirely sure what the BBC rules are here but it pales in comparison to what the BBC did for Andrew Lloyd Webber's ticket sales with all those audition shows they did.
 Martin W 29 Jul 2016
In reply to IceKing:

Pretty much all chat shows on all channels have 'guests' who are mainly there to plug their latest film/book/stage show/tv show. Jonathan Ross and Graeme Norton would be the obvious examples. The guests don't go on the shows because they like the host, it's all part of the product launch publicity cycle.

TBH if you haven't already realised this, I do rather wonder how deep a hole you have been living in!
 galpinos 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

That is not a good enough reason.
 The New NickB 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Martin W:

> Pretty much all chat shows on all channels have 'guests' who are mainly there to plug their latest film/book/stage show/tv show. Jonathan Ross and Graeme Norton would be the obvious examples. The guests don't go on the shows because they like the host, it's all part of the product launch publicity cycle.

Indeed sometimes the whole show appears to only be there to promote a specific film. Graeme Norton seems particularly bad for this, I saw a few minutes of one of his shows recently where the entirety of his guests appeared to be the four leads from the new Ghostbusters film.
Graeme G 29 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Even more outrageous. Any more of this and i'll have to speak to your parents.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...