UKC

BMC to CB... am I the only one who doesn't give a flying...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GHawksworth 29 Jul 2016
people are losing their minds over this rebrand... it'll be the same after the name change (more or less), why is it such a big deal? Am I missing something?!
 La benya 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

yes
 Lemony 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

I'm with you, my overall reaction was "meh".
 Ramblin dave 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

I'm not a fan of the name or the font and think that they should probably have consulted more widely before announcing it as a done deal, but I am finding the extent to which some people are throwing their toys out of the pram over it a bit weird.

Run_Ross_Run 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

Not fussed too.
 jon 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

Are you a member and if so, for how long?
 Weekend Punter 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:
I don't particularly feel passionate about the re-brand however my initial thought is that the new name doesn't convey the wider scope of mountaineering. My second thought is that there is a lot of history contained with the acronym BMC which will be lost.

What is surprising is that it took two companies nine months to come up with the re-brand
Post edited at 14:25
 hokkyokusei 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

I am entirely ambilvalent about it.
OP GHawksworth 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Weekend Punter:

> What is surprising is that it took two companies nine months to come up with the re-brand

Ah don't be too surprised, how else are people with full time jobs to do a 5 min task going to get paid?
Lusk 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Weekend Punter:

To me, it's an interesting case study in Marketing, of which I have no experience.
How something so completely unoriginal, cheesey and quite frankly, crap, costs £25,000, which apparently is cheap, just beggars belief!
These people must be laughing all the way to the bank.
 Bulls Crack 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

Not fussed either. If anything 'climb' is more inclusive than 'mountaineering'
 neilh 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Lusk:
I would say it is a typical price for an organisation who wants to look at this properly, probably at the low end. You only have to shop around and speak to a few branding /marketing type companies ( and there are lots of them out there ) to understand this.

Oh and its not marketing, that is a seperate subject.
Post edited at 14:50
 Wsdconst 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

> people are losing their minds over this rebrand... it'll be the same after the name change (more or less), why is it such a big deal? Am I missing something?!

I'm with you, why is it such a big deal ?
 Lemony 29 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

> Are you a member and if so, for how long?

Can't speak for the OP but I am and have been for 8-9 years (with a few short lapses along the way). Why?
Lusk 29 Jul 2016
In reply to neilh:

> Oh and its not marketing, that is a seperate subject.

Haha...it just shows how naive I am on affairs like this!
 AP Melbourne 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> I'm not a fan of the name or the font

That font is utterly disgusting and hard on the eye. Not that I give a flying f,,,,,
Shame on you BMC.
AP.

In reply to Lusk:
> How something so completely unoriginal, cheesey and quite frankly, crap, costs £25,000, which apparently is cheap, just beggars belief!

It probably helps to see an itemised invoice:

Coming up with 'Climb Britain' name : £10
New logo drawn by 5 year old on back of envelope : 50p
Replacement red felt tip pen for 5 year old : £1.50
Being friends with the right people in government: £24,988
Post edited at 19:50
 DaveN 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

To me mountaineering encompasses hillwalking, scrambling, rock climbing, albinism, high altitude and so on, these are a facets of mountaineering.

Climb on the other hand makes me think of just climbing
 Dave the Rave 29 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

Why has it had to be rebranded, may I ask? Bmc is a grand name no matter what areas of 'climbing' it covers, whereas Climb Britain sounds like a cheesy add for three peak events?
I can't see the SMC rebranding ?
 Jim 1003 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave the Rave:
I don't care, prefer the Austrian Alpine Club, BMC is jobs for the boys/girls. Insurance is crap and expensive.
Post edited at 21:03
 toad 29 Jul 2016
I've had a word with myself re this whole shebang. I need to get out this weekend and enjoy being outside, but basically you are bang on. It's a grand name

Post edited at 21:04
 Bulls Crack 29 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveN:

Hillwalker climb a hill or mountain but maybe many don;t class themselves as mountaineers
 james mann 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Are the AAC working hard to ensure that you have access to areas that you use and care for? Are they putting effort and time into a number of programmes to ensure that our activity develops skills and safety for all? Do they work hard to ensure that the unique ethic of British climbing isn't lost and that where bolts are placed it is with consensus? Would the AAC have people working hard for you in the event of a serious accident abroad? Does the AAC have teams of local volunteers working hard for the good of their local climbers? Perhaps if you aren't certain of the answers to these questions you should think carefully before making assumptions about jobs for the boys!

James
 Jim 1003 30 Jul 2016
In reply to james mann:

Don't see the BMC doing any of those things. I don't care where there are bolts, the more the better, I'm not stuck in a time warp....
 jon 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Don't see the BMC doing any of those things.

That is exactly what they do. How could you miss it?
 snoop6060 30 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:
I couldn't care less. But the absolutely hysterical response by some on here is quite amusing. They need to get a grip.

Why wasn't I asked! Hahaha

I should probably point out that i am a member btw. I'm fairly sure people are just pissed as they like to think of themselves as mountaineers not poncy climbers. And being in a mountaineering club makes them appear gnarly.
Post edited at 10:31
 Andy Say 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Lusk:

> Haha...it just shows how naive I am on affairs like this!

That, young man, should be a source of pride!
 Andy Say 30 Jul 2016

> Why has it had to be rebranded, may I ask? Bmc is a grand name no matter what areas of 'climbing' it covers, whereas Climb Britain sounds like a cheesy add for three peak events?

> I can't see the SMC rebranding ?

Well..... the MCofS might just have something in the pipeline
 Andy Say 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:
> I don't care, prefer the Austrian Alpine Club, BMC is jobs for the boys/girls. Insurance is crap and expensive.

Jim,

The organisation you 'prefer', the Österreichischer Alpenverein, has 500,000 members*. It runs over 240 huts that you pay to use. Its staff don't work out of an old church in Didsbury (see http://www.alpenverein.at/portal/der-verein/ueber-uns/geschaeftsstelle/inde... for a view of their hovel in Innsbruck). And you'd better believe that they employ a lot more boys and girls than the British Mountaineering Council.

*This has a lot to do with their ability to negotiate low insurance rates.

Dave the Rave 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> Well..... the MCofS might just have something in the pipeline

At least they've got mountains and snow
 Trangia 30 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

You don't have to be passionate to recognise a naff product.....
OP GHawksworth 30 Jul 2016
In reply to snoop6060:

Just look at this feed! This is what I mean! Woop de doo the name changes! Same people running the show
 Cheese Monkey 30 Jul 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

I'm with you mate. All this knee jerk reaction stuff is bloody hilarious. Please all keep it up its good stuff
 Jim 1003 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Aye, but the people they employ do a good job, unlike the BMC......
 Chris the Tall 01 Aug 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

Am I the only one who does give a toss, but is undecided as to whether the new name is an improvement on the old ?

Thing is, my opinion on the name isn't very important. I'm already a member, and I'm not going to throw a tantrum and leave over something like this. As yet, I have heard very little from the people who will be most affected by this change - the access volunteers and those who deal with govt and other NGOs. In fact the views of various non-members, such as people in the National Trust, are far more relevant than my opinion (or that of most of the people who have posted - sorry folks!)
 toad 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

It's new relationships that will be interesting. Most NGOs/ govt departments will shrug it off as another irritating rebrand - the kind they have all been through over the years - wildlife trusts, EA, Natural England, defra etc. It's new relationships that might suffer - the ones who might see it as another sports club, rather than something more substantial.

FWIW The name hasn't grown, the way it's been handled has been shambolic and unprofessional, but I'm rather more sanguine about things now than I was last week, but as you say, my (or any other individuals) position is neither here nor there. It isn't yet a resigning issue
 Postmanpat 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Aye, but the people they employ do a good job, unlike the BMC......

Given you don't appear to have the remotest idea what jobs the BMC either aspires to do or actually does you aren't really in any position to judge.
 Andy Say 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Aye, but the people they employ do a good job, unlike the BMC......

And their jobs in Innsbruck are what exactly ......?

The staff at the BMC actually do a bloody good job. Access, training, guidebooks, access, insurance, equipment testing, access, walls, membership queries, access, selling stuff, advice centre, access, encouraging participation, work with UIAA and ISCF, access, arranging reciprocal hut rights, educational material, access, advising on club huts, assisting with footpath maintainance. And Access..

And they (BMC) operate on a relative shoestring. What is your AAC annual subscription. £46.50? 500,000 members? I make that £2.3mill just in subs.
OP GHawksworth 02 Aug 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

Gates of Babylon (E7 6c)

Love that this is a new route!
 Jim 1003 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Say:
> And their jobs in Innsbruck are what exactly ......?

Their UK office is England as I'm sure you know, nothing like a bit of misinformation....
Post edited at 20:58
 birdie num num 02 Aug 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

CB is far less cumbersome and far more dynamic than BMC.
Pared down, stripped of a letter and rolls off the tongue readily.
Easier to remember when pissed. Saves on ink.
 Andy Say 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Their UK office is England as I'm sure you know, nothing like a bit of misinformation....

That's a very big office; no wonder they are so good.

But, and I hesitate to point this out again 'The organisation you 'prefer', the Österreichischer Alpenverein, has 500,000 members*. It runs over 240 huts that you pay to use. Its staff don't work out of an old church in Didsbury (see http://www.alpenverein.at/portal/der-verein/ueber-uns/geschaeftsstelle/inde... for a view of their hovel in Innsbruck). And you'd better believe that they employ a lot more boys and girls than the British Mountaineering Council.'
 graeme jackson 03 Aug 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:

I believe they're taking 'mountaineering' out of the name because there's a worldwide shortage of red socks.
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:
> It probably helps to see an itemised invoice:

> Coming up with 'Climb Britain' name : £10

> New logo drawn by 5 year old on back of envelope : 50p

> Replacement red felt tip pen for 5 year old : £1.50

> Being friends with the right people in government: £24,988

Upsetting an established Membership: Priceless

Al
Post edited at 14:11
 Jim 1003 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

> But, and I hesitate to point this out again 'The organisation you 'prefer', the Österreichischer Alpenverein, has 500,000 members*. It runs over 240 huts that you pay to use. Its staff don't work out of an old church in Didsbury (see http://www.alpenverein.at/portal/der-verein/ueber-uns/geschaeftsstelle/inde... for a view of their hovel in Innsbruck). And you'd better believe that they employ a lot more boys and girls than the British Mountaineering Council.'

http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Profile.aspx?id=39
I see you have some sort of BMC profile, presumably thats why you keep posting anti AAC pish. The British section of the AAC has a couple of women who work part time. The BMC has loads of people and still can't produce a decent insurance policy for climbers.
 wbo 04 Aug 2016
In reply to GHawksworth:
I don't think he has posted any AAC pish. But all they provide for you is insurance. I am aware they are huge , fantastic organisation in Austria running huts, courses et al. but they don't do anything for access in the UK or any of the other things you proudly profess to be ignorant of.

So please stop posting pish.

FWIW to the OP I don't get the enormous furore either.
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Hillwalker climb a hill or mountain but maybe many don;t class themselves as mountaineers

Nonsense. Ive scaled Mount Snowdon and Mount Cross Fell, dont you know.....
 Andy Say 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> I see you have some sort of BMC profile, presumably thats why you keep posting anti AAC pish. The British section of the AAC has a couple of women who work part time. The BMC has loads of people and still can't produce a decent insurance policy for climbers.

Wow. You stalking?

FWIW I am also a member of the AAC I'm not at all anti. But I'm unclear how a 'couple of women who work part time' contribute more to climbers and walkers in the UK than the BMC. And, from my perspective, producing 'a decent insurance policy' isn't actually THAT high on their priorities

And, be honest now, whilst the cover available from the BMC IS more expensive than the cover included in the AAV membership (I have already mentioned the fact that 500,000 members does give a bit of negotiating muscle....) the cover is far more thorough than the AAC which tends to depend upon the EHIC system to cover many medical costs and assumes limited repatriation costs. Essentially its the Austrians, the Germans and the Swiss covering each other.

Wonder how Bear Grylls would have fared claiming off AAC cover
Post edited at 14:42
 Andy Say 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Any way, Jim, it is clear that you believe the the sonne shines out of the AAC arsch. Lets leave it there and let the thread get back to saying 'meh'* about the proposed name change.

* 'meh'? Presumably suggesting 'I don't care'?
 Jim 1003 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

The thread was about not giving a flying f+ck about the BMC....surprised you'd not noticed given the hours you must spend on here...
 Andy Say 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> The thread was about not giving a flying f+ck about the BMC....surprised you'd not noticed given the hours you must spend on here...

Sorry Jim. The thread title - 'BMC to CB... am I the only one who doesn't give a flying...' was about the proposed name change not denigration of the organisation. Vielleicht brauchen Sie mehr sorgfältig zu lesen?
 Andy Say 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> The thread was about not giving a flying f+ck about the BMC....surprised you'd not noticed given the hours you must spend on here...

Tell you what, Jimbo. You are right and I am wrong. Those three delightful part-time ladies have always done more for the climbers and walkers of the UK than have those lazy losers at the BMC. The BMC should be disbanded forthwith and incorporated into Sektor Brittanien as soon as possible.

I wholeheartedly capitulate.

Ciao.
OP GHawksworth 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Andy Say:

Oh look... I just finished my popcorn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...