UKC

The Pokemon No thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Farnell 29 Jul 2016
Who else isn't playing this ridiculous, childish game and are instead going climbing?

Andy F
 broken spectre 29 Jul 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

Maybe you can combine the two disciplines?
 Aly 29 Jul 2016

As long as you've got 3G you can partake in whatever ridiculous, childish games you want, and play Pokemon at the same time!
 buzby 29 Jul 2016

Im surprised by the amount of people this seems to wind up and annoy. its just a bit of fun and doesn't hurt anyone. it also has the side effect of getting people out and about. what's the harm?
OP Andy Farnell 29 Jul 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

> Maybe you can combine the two disciplines?

Or maybe just go climbing without hunting for imaginary Japanese hallucinogenic micro dinosaurs.

Andy F
 broken spectre 29 Jul 2016

> Or maybe just go climbing without hunting for imaginary Japanese hallucinogenic micro dinosaurs.

I was playing devils advocate but now you've described the game - I want in!!

Adrien 29 Jul 2016
In reply to buzby:

Isn't it a bit sad though that they only go out to chase imaginary creatures when there's real creatures you could watch with binoculars? I was a big Pokemon fan when I was younger but this seems different to me in the sense that the virtual world is intruding into the reality (just like "augmented" reality games), I'm concerned it could be the start of a slippery slope where people end up losing touch with reality and only care about the virtual worlds. But maybe I'm just a pessimist.
 alexm198 29 Jul 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

Quite - I caught a Snorlax at the bottom of Symonds Yat!
 jonnie3430 29 Jul 2016
In reply to alexm198:
I hatched a bulbasaur or something like that on the walk out of the whangie the other night.

Only the cultural dinosaurs that feel threatened by it!
Post edited at 18:50
 Xharlie 29 Jul 2016
In reply to alexm198:
What's that? Like a sleeping pill that makes your bowels move and foul the sheets?
Post edited at 18:52
 alexm198 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Thankfully not - that would've made for quite a messy afternoon's cragging...
 Xharlie 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Adrien:

I remember the old Pokémon games for the GameBoy Advance. I played some of them on an emulator, way-back. They were pretty cool because of the mathematics behind the battles and the exploratory nature of the game. Can't say that Pokémon Go calls my name - it seems geared for micro-payments and viral-ness and the only battling seems to be poorly thought out and biased towards either pay-to-win or players who have infinite time.

I have nothing against it, though, although I think it will lead to a huge rise in "distracted walking" - something I do have a massive problem with, as a cyclist and motorist and pedestrian.

Hopefully, it proves to be a gateway drug to "being out and about" and not just a gateway drug to "more Pokémon"
Removed User 29 Jul 2016

Fortunately the reception is awful at The Hangar (and there's no spawns around there) or I'd never get anything done!
 Brass Nipples 29 Jul 2016

There are quite a few Pokemon at Stanage.
 jonnie3430 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Adrien:

This is augmented reality, you have to go out to play the game, as opposed to virtual reality. I'm playing to see what the fuss was that caused Nintendo shares to double, and for a chance to see something that will be huge taking baby steps (augmented reality, that is.)
 Dax H 29 Jul 2016

I don't play, I am an avid gamer but pokemon go is not my thing.
My laborer plays it as we drive between sites as well as going walking on a night.
He was really excited today when he caught a rare one.
 Bobling 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Adrien:
I'm afraid that boat has already sailed. Virtual worlds are now reality! I think with the rise of social media and smart phones the boundaries have blurred so much between the electronic and the physical that they are going to bleed ever more into each other, just because something is not physical does not mean it is not real. Sorry a bit ill and finding it hard to express myself clearly.
Post edited at 20:59
 sbc_10 30 Jul 2016

How long before these things generate our own monsters from the Id.......

youtube.com/watch?v=IYFr3UyVpRA&
 snoop6060 30 Jul 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

I'd rather be out playing Pokemon at stanage than sat here reading the hysterical response to a simple name change.

Not entirely clear on the premise of the game, but it looks novel and is probably technically quite advanced. So I guess that's of interest to quite a few people.

I picked up a Psyduck in the car park of the ClimbingWorks (which just happens to be a PokeStop) last night. Bargain!
I'm hoping to pick up some rare Pokemon on the trip to Font at the end of the month. I'm not finding Pokemon/Climbing mutually exclusive...
 wercat 30 Jul 2016

strikes me as a potentially decent film plot. Unleash a game that acts like a social virus. Use it to manipulate behaviour such that lots of innocent players end up making a terrorist attack happen even though no one knows they are taking part in it
 Trangia 30 Jul 2016

The game caused some excitement here in Hastings a couple of nights ago

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/28/lifeboat-crew-scrambled-as-girls...
OP Andy Farnell 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Trangia: More pokeno trouble here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36932197

Andy F
 timjones 30 Jul 2016
> More pokeno trouble here:

Do you believe everything that you read on the web?

there appear to have been 2 incidents, in one of them the victims were playing Pokemon Go. The other guy was apparently just walking through a park.

The reporter is bright enough to know that "man walking through park is robbed" just doesn't press the buttons of his less intelligent readers in the same way as a bit of Pokemon blaming does.
Post edited at 18:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...