UKC

Non-Antalya turkish climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nickstephens 30 Jul 2016
I'm Presently in South Western Turkey on my way back northwards. I can see a few climbing locations on a few sites but I'm struggling to find a climbing community (outside of Geyikbayiri) and people for information. Any suggestions?

Nick
 Big Steve 31 Jul 2016
In reply to nickstephens:

There are a few additional small areas in that neck of the woods, Dalyan has some small crags, Fethiye also although it will be insanely hot now even in the shade. Your best bet is to head to Izmir, superb climbing at Kaynaklar and a great local scene. If you want bouldering, go to Bafa Golu. You will need a car though.
OP nickstephens 31 Jul 2016
In reply to Big Steve:

Ummm, that's a bit rubbish. I was going through izmir a few days ago and in koycegiz today. Ive struggled to find any information on my way although it's kind of obvious there must be loads here. Planning to do to pamukkale tomorrow and then maybe the lake district. Any suggestions as we trek North?

Nick
 Big Steve 31 Jul 2016

There is some good climbing in the Bursa area, I can't remember the names off hand but I will look tomorrow for you, after Bursa how about Ballikayalar 1 -1.5 hours from Istanbul? I may be able to scan you guidebook pages and email you tomorrow evening, I will need to see which ones I have in the UK. I think most are in our Turkey home
 wiwwim 01 Aug 2016

olympus? too close to antalya? Aladagla/selale for trekking/scrambling?
 Big Steve 01 Aug 2016
In reply to nickstephens: If you are heading northwards from the Turkish Lake District region, then maybe head to Eskesehir. Not far outside the city is Karakayar, a well developed sport and trad venue. Plenty to
Keep you going for a few days. The only guidebook I know of that covers it is Climb Travel Turkey by Zuleyha Geels,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Climb-travel-Turkey-Zuleyha-Geels/dp/9462661952/re...

Looks like it is out of print, but you may find a copy somewhere. I have a copy in the UK so I could help you with this one. Its a studenty city, I have visited it once and I dont remember there being much to see.

Where are you heading next, you must really be putting some mileage in this week!

OP nickstephens 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Steve:

I'm in egirdir at present and we're on our way North tomorrow. Eskesehir didn't sound that great when reading about it in the guide we have. It sounds like the climbing region might be worth stopping by.
OP nickstephens 02 Aug 2016

Did you mean Karakaya near eskesehir?
 Big Steve 02 Aug 2016

Yes, it's not far outside the city, with a small camping ground. If you message me, I'll scan the guidebook pages now and email them as a off
 Big Steve 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Steve: Ive scanned the relevant pages and added them to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rqhkk6mggcvu32/Karakaya.lnk?dl=0

The first page has a small map to show you where to go
 SallyM 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Steve:

Interesting to hear about Kaynaklar! My sister lives in Nazilli so I would love to combine a trip to see her with some good climbing. Is it ok for easy routes, ie low 6s?
OP nickstephens 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Steve:

I only seem able to download a link
... Not the actual files :-/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...