UKC

Gogarth Big Groove leader

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 geoff b 30 Jul 2016
Hope you're okay Jess. You're a brave, brave lass.
 mrteale 31 Jul 2016
In reply to geoff b:

Care to expand on that for the curious amongst us?
 Mowglee 31 Jul 2016
In reply to geoff b:
Saw the rescue. Hope the climber gets better soon.

I know rubbernecking is generally and rightly frowned upon, but I couldn't work out why it seemed to take so long to get the casualty from the lifeboat onto the chopper. Anyone any ideas? Looked like three attempts at least, and each time the boat was going full pelt out to sea. They'd then come back in shore again and do it again, boat going full pelt out into the full flow of the tide. Is there a reason why the boat has to be moving for transfer to the helicopter? I would have thought they could have done it quite close in, in the big tidal eddy with the boat stationary.

EDIT given recent 'journalists' habit of stalking this forum, please don't speculate at all on the climber. I am only interested in the lifeboat/helicopter rescue.
Post edited at 22:50
OP geoff b 01 Aug 2016
In reply to mrteale:

Hi there,
BBC Wales News posted a brief note yesterday about an incident on Saturday on the Main Cliff, if you'd like some more info. I'm not going to go into details, suffice to say that the casualty was evacuated pretty swiftly by the RNLI to a chopper, thanks to a couple of nearby sea-kayakers who had a VHF radio with which they were able to contact the coastguard quickly.
Cheers.
In reply to Mowglee:

Sea to air transfers are much more stable and safer when the boat is moving into the wind and the chopper does the same. The roll & pitch of the boat is much less.

Probably trying to carry out the operation in slightly calmer seas, hence the coming back in and trying again.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...