UKC

things I didn't know until I started climbing..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Juicymite86 30 Jul 2016
What's people's best things they've learnt from becoming a climber?
Mine are : realising my home city Sheffield is a mecca for the outdoors!

Finding a sport / hobbie that clears my head from any stress in the world

Meeting friends who you literally trust your life with

Beating depression and anxiety better than any therapy I've ever had
Loads more physical things but these are my top ones
 SChriscoli 30 Jul 2016
In reply to littlejon86:

Its not so much what i've learned once i started climbing - but those experience tips you dont get in a guide book.

1: a cheap car mat is perfect surface to start climbing from. Wipe your feet BEFORE you get on the wall.

2. Lightweight normal shoes are a must - and get ones with loops at the back.

3: a nut key isnt just for cleaning gear. Gardening on a wall can also be done with one.

4: Setting up a belay is like having a religion - everyone has a preference and way of doing things - but as long as the focus is on not letting anybodu die...they are all good.

5: electrical tape is perfect for labelling and identifying all your gear.
 Trangia 31 Jul 2016
In reply to littlejon86:
I learned that climbers don't throw grappling irons to help the first one up, and that we don't climb up the rope. Neither do we pull fallen or struggling seconds, who are suspended in space beneath us, up hand over hand without the use of a belay device or anchor whilst standing braced on the lip of a ledge.
Post edited at 09:15
Removed User 31 Jul 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Wow, I've been doing it wrong!
 zv 31 Jul 2016
In reply to littlejon86:

1. There are huge number of breath taking places inaccessible unless you are a climber.
2. How to face your weaknesses and fears and not to avoid them if you want to improve at anything.
3. How to train, how the body adapts and the theory of super compensation. In general, getting stronger only when resting which is transferrable to pretty much all physical sports.
4. Bear Grylls may not be the climbing legend the TV makes him out to be.
 Kemics 31 Jul 2016
In reply to littlejon86:

It's easier than you think to shit in a plastic bag in a harness :/

Rob Exile Ward 31 Jul 2016
In reply to littlejon86:

When you're faced with a difficult decision, the choice you really don't want to take is usually the correct one.
 radddogg 31 Jul 2016
In reply to Kemics:

Why bother with the bag?
 Timmd 01 Aug 2016
In reply to littlejon86:
I learned that I don't give up easily if I'm motivated, and have been able to transfer it to non climbing related things. I guess that's been the most valuable thing, in staying with me since my early teens throughout adulthood.

The things like going to breath taking places, and meeting different people who all have their own perspective on life are great too.
Post edited at 00:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...