UKC

Ben Nevis Bivvy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Packer 01 Aug 2016
Planning to sleep out overnight on or near the summit around mid-August.

Never been up there before, so are there good bivvy sites around? If not and it's a bit blowy on the summit plateau, are there decent spots on the ascent up the tourist track? I've googled it to death and can only find people's references to sleeping in the shelter.

And finally....do the midges inhabit the summit plateau?

Thanks.
 routrax 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Packer:
The ruin of the observatory might provide a bit of a wind break, although It's very rocky on the summit, I wouldn't imagine it would be a comfortable night!

I remember seeing some large grassy ledges on ledge route and thinking they would be a fun place to pitch a tent.

Never seen midges on top, usually too windy.
Post edited at 21:26
 colinakmc 02 Aug 2016
In reply to routrax:

I had a monstrous night in the ruins of the Observatory a few years ago, preparatory to an ascent of Tower Ridge. When we set off from Achintee at midnight all you could see up the hill was a zig zag line of about 1000 head torches - there was some kind of 3 peaks mega event on. After a horrible plod up the tourist path through these descending masses, there were still about 60 - 80 people ensconced on the summit. It was like one of those student all-night parties you knew you shouldn't have gone to...no peace at all. Having said that, the ruins kept us sheltered and I don't remember it being too hard to get comfy in among the rocks.

And Tower Ridge was awesome.
 Pids 02 Aug 2016
In reply to colinakmc:

why did you climb to the summit to descend the next morning to then climb back up Tower Ridge, which leads you to the summit? Just curious.

To Tom: why not go up via Carn Mor Dearg, camp at a suitable spot there, in the lee of the hillside - that way you get a cracking view of the Ben Nevis north face all night, then up in the morning for a stroll along the arĂȘte to the summit of Ben Nevis and then back down

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/carnmordeargarete.shtml

Will be quieter on CMD than on the Ben, imagine there are people wandering around there at all times at this time of year.
 colinakmc 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Pids:
Why do we ever climb anything? It seemed like a good idea at the time....
Your point about folk wandering about 24/7 in summer is probably the point I was hinting at from experience tho. I suspect lots of people, just like we did, fancy a view of the sunrise from the summit.
Post edited at 10:51
OP Tom Packer 02 Aug 2016
I'm doing the three peaks (the shame!), by bike on my own, so I was looking for a quick escape in the early hours. Much as I'd love to do the arete, I want to get the easiest/earliest start out in the morning.

Colinakmc: It'll be on a Wednesday, so hopefully a little quieter. Good to know I could bed down in the ruins though. I know what you mean; I was bivvying on top of the Carneddau a few years ago and it seemed like every 30 minutes someone would shout out at full voice....'THERE'S SOMEONE SLEEPING OVER THERE'... as they completed the 3000s. I resisted the urge to shout 'no, there's f****** not'
 colinakmc 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Packer:

Good luck with that. Might be useful to remember for your planning that the pony track is actually quite easy to descend in the dark, given a wee bit ofluck with weather. Opens up the option of an Alpine start.
That's the same as the 'tourist track,' right?
 colinakmc 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Packer:
Yes, probly just being pedantic! When the observatory was working and the hotel was open it was a pony track....Ken Crockets book is well worth a read.
 GrahamD 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Packer:

compared to other places on the mountain or nearby mountains I think the summit plateau of Ben Nevis would be a pretty uninspiring place to be - being flattish, rocky and barren.
 Dark-Cloud 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Tom Packer:
When i was last up there we wandered over towards the CMD Arete but off to the right and there is some fairly grassy bits with good views down into Glen Nevis and we were pretty much alone while all the neds were clambering over the main summit, no shelter though, there is also a lot of toilet paper and piles of sh*te knocking about so be careful where you end up lying !
Post edited at 12:58
Not inspiring, no. If there's a better spot reasonably high up on the pony track ascent, I'd happily take that.

Thanks for the tip; guess that'll be wind dependent. I suppose the observatory ruin may well be the last resting place for a fair few jobbies too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...