UKC

Dog friendly scrambles in the lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan_S 02 Aug 2016
Can anyone suggest some dog friendly scrambles in the lakes please?

Cheers!
 mrphilipoldham 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan_S:

Should be fine on the Striding/Swirral Edge round of Helvellyn
 spartacus 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan_S:
Sour mutt Gill ?
 toad 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan_S:

All of these things depend on you and the dog. Mine is fine on striding edge. Yours, maybe not? I've no idea! Make a judgement on the day and be prepared to change your plans if the dog or you are unhappy.
Graeme G 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan_S:

Eggs?
 Alan Bates 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan_S:
Hi there was discussion on Dogs and Lake district scrambles in this post
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=626752&v=1#x8153349
 Trangia 02 Aug 2016
In reply to toad:

> Mine is fine on striding edge.

How does he/she cope with the 10m steep down scramble near the end of the Edge proper?
 ScottTalbot 02 Aug 2016
In reply to toad:

I watched a video of striding edge, as I was thinking of taking my dog on it, but the video left me very unsure.
The chimney looks like it would be tricky for my dog. I was playing with the idea of carrying a rope so I could practically drag him up it (doing the scramble in reverse).
 tmawer 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan_S:

I haven't managed to find any yet, and suspect that if I need all four limbs and hands, then my dog may struggle. I have solo'd a few easy routes where she can see me but even this carries some risk of her trying to follow and potentially getting into bother......walking seems best sadly, or tying her at the base.
 zimpara 02 Aug 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

And yet I get dicked about for taking my dog on a mod.
 toad 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> How does he/she cope with the 10m steep down scramble near the end of the Edge proper?

From memory, it's avoidable. It was probably 10 or 12 years ago.
ceri 02 Aug 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

I'm sure we took Rosie (profile pic) and Beans round Helvellyn, but they are/were small enough to carry is necessary.
 ScottTalbot 02 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> And yet I get dicked about for taking my dog on a mod.

What's your point?
 zimpara 02 Aug 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

My point is, next time you dislike a post of me climbing with my dog, think about what a fecking hypocrite you are wanting to drag yours up routes.
 sbc23 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Dan_S:

My collie has no issues on Jack's Rake, I just keep her on a longish lead and clip to a harness rather than her collar. It's quite enclosed in the groove.

I've turned around on the Tarn Crag scrambles because they are a lot more open and she was a bit more hesitant.

Striding and swiral edges should be fine. I had the lift her down about 6ft of the chimney at the end of striding edge. You can walk around this bit if you want.

Steve

ScottTalbot 02 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> My point is, next time you dislike a post of me climbing with my dog, think about what a fecking hypocrite you are wanting to drag yours up routes.

I don't recall ever even seeing a post about climbing with dogs before, let alone anything from you!?! Perhaps you should pay a little less attention to the dislike button, it's clearly making you paranoid.

What I was referring to was using the rope like an assisted belay, to aid him in pulling himself up, but that's something that would have to be judged on closer inspection of the scramble. This shouldn't really need spelling out, a little common sense is all that's required sometimes.
 zimpara 02 Aug 2016
In reoly to ScottTalbot:

youtube.com/watch?v=fmFhbwajAqo&

Couple of tips,
They don't enjoy down climbing.
Use screw gates everywhere.
Make sure you really know your dog, and climb in a way that if they jumped off at any moment of any time, you could hold them.
Take a small dog that is easy to lift.
If you stop for lunch, set a belay for the dog.
Be sure, absolutely SURE! That everystep you take, there isn't a paw underneath, so climb with the ability of not being off balance if you have to hover a foot for a moment.
Good luck, I stress tested some harnesses before I went. Interesting results.
 abr1966 02 Aug 2016
In reply to toad:

I went over striding edge today.....left the dog at home though as not sure it would manage. There were a couple of border collies coming down off helvellyn towards striding edge but none doing up! I saw a German Shepard struggling a bit going down swirral edge but it was very loose and wet today...
My border terrier gets sore feet on the rocky stuff after a while and doesn't like it...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...