UKC

Help me choose a rope bag please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paulos 02 Aug 2016

Sorry I've never used a rope bag before, I'm now buying one but can't decide between these two:
Beal Folio and the Black Diamond Superslacker

Has anyone used either of these? I just want something so that I don't have to keep flaking rope and that is comfortable which carrying rope to the crag (generally 15 mins max). Cheers!
Post edited at 11:21
In reply to Paulos:

The problem with rope bags that only sling over the shoulder is that they can be a right royal pain in the arse if you have to clamber over uneven ground in ascent and downright dangerous in descent. I've used several types but these days I prefer one that will fit in my rucksack or at least leave my hands free.

Al
In reply to Paulos:

Have you thought about a 'bucket' style bag like this

https://www.bergfreunde.co.uk/edelrid-caddy-rope-bag

They are brilliant compared to the simple ones because you just lift the ends of the tarp shake it and all the rope ends up in the bucket. The rope is really well contained in the bucket bit with the drawstring and you never get it slipping out the side.

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Paulos:

Just get an ikea bag.
 Fraser 02 Aug 2016
MrWayne 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Paulos:

Blue ice rope bag on bergfreunde
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Paulos:

I bought one of these when they were on offer at £18 - http://www.rockrun.com/rock-climbing/software/rope-bags/black-diamond-super...

Well made and very easy to pack,

Chris
In reply to Chris Craggs:

I got a Superchute on the same offer - impressed with how easy it is to pack away the rope - the funnel shape of the tarp is really good for just pouring the rope into the main bag. It also compresses down nicely so I can get the whole ropebag into the bottom of my rucksack - handy for longer walk-ins.
 Xharlie 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Paulos:

I favour the DMM classic rope bag. I have tried many but this is certainly the best.

1. It's a backpack. The tarp and rope go inside and you can put a lot of other gear in there too. Two half ropes fit. A sport rack fits. So do guide books and shoes. Probably not all together but your partner's carrying a pack too, right?
2. You can deploy it as a bucket if you want to.
3. The tarp is entirely detachable so, if you're walking in with a real, bigger or better backpack, you can "borrow" the DMM tarp to wrap up your rope. This is surprisingly useful.
4. The tarp is HUGE and has four coloured attachment points.
5. The construction and colouring is top-notch.
 3leggeddog 03 Aug 2016
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

I got one of those as a freebie with my latest sport rope, best rope bag I've used
 Si dH 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Xharlie:
I've got one of those but it's not big enough to carry all my gear and food for a day's sport climbing so I end up with it on mycfront, and another rucksack on my back. I've decided a rope bag that fits across underneath the lid of my rucksack (I have a good la sportiva one that cost ≤£25) is better. Except for just an evening session where I need less stuff, then the dmm is great.
Post edited at 22:31
In reply to Paulos:

I use a 59p Aldi "Bag for Life" It's rated to 15kg and they will replace it when it gets worn out. My current one has lated for 6 weeks in Spain, and at leats a dozen trips to Sport crags here in the UK, and it was a great rope bucket for a hanging belay just above the waves on Puritan at Pembroke a few weeks ago.

It's stupid to pay £30+ for something that Beal etc makes. You're wasting your money on "purpose built" rope bags.
 Dell 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> I use a 59p Aldi "Bag for Life"

I bet you look cool.
 marsbar 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Dell:

He has a husky. Why would he worry about looking cool with a cool dog.
 Fraser 04 Aug 2016

> I use a 59p Aldi "Bag for Life"

It's useless as a tarp though, which is the main reason I have a rope bag & integral tarp. Plus, once it's time to pack up or shift to another part of the crag / wall, getting a rope back into a plastic bag isn't as easy as into a rope bag. Each to their own, but folk I see using Ikea bags or similar just seem to struggle so much more than those with 'proper' rope bags.
In reply to Fraser:

Fair enough. What do you use the tarp for? I don't think I've ever used one apart from for sleeping under in the desert.

In reply to Dell:

> I bet you look cool.

You've obviously seen me at the crag. Mainly I just look like someone who hasn't spent £39.95 on something that does exactly the same thing, which is obviously nice for me.
 Mike-W-99 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Paulos:

We've a singing rock ropebag. Not expensive and enough room in it for any gear food etc too. Think you can get them for around 20quid.
 Fiona Reid 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:
This is the one Mike-W-99 is referring to: http://www.singingrock.com/ropebag

It's a rucksack style with removable sheet and plenty room for a 70m rope and other stuff if you wish.
Post edited at 10:45
 Dell 04 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> He has a husky. Why would he worry about looking cool with a cool dog.

Maybe he just has a really sexy voice on the phone?
 Dell 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Paulos:
I use one of those 'car boot liner' things. £3 from B&Q. It's got a raised edge (like a shallow bag) and 4 handles which you just clip together with a crab and pick the whole lot up in one go.

Edit: They're now £1.50
http://tinyurl.com/jgz6s4o
Post edited at 11:35
 Fraser 04 Aug 2016

> Fair enough. What do you use the tarp for? I don't think I've ever used one apart from for sleeping under in the desert.

Mostly to keep the rope off the ground, and then when shifting between routes or areas, chuck shoes, clothing, water etc onto the tarp, grab it up and sling it over your shoulder.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...