UKC

Via ferrata near Ariege?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyfallsoff 02 Aug 2016
I am going to be staying in Mirepoix in a few weeks for a wedding, and was looking for Via Ferrata in the nearby area.

I can see from the UKC guidebooks that there is the "Face Nord" at Goulier, but wondered if anyone can either (a) confirm what this is like in terms of difficulty (the group will contain non-climbers with no VF experience); and/or (b) let me know if there is much else around? I can see there appears to be a lot in Andorra, which might be a bit far, but anything else that is to the North of the Pyrenees would be better.

Thanks in advance...
 Doug 02 Aug 2016
In reply to andyfallsoff:

not quite the Ariege but nearby

http://www.viaferrata-fr.net/via-ferrata-34-Les-Escaldilles-Llo-Pyr%E9n%E9e...

not been on it but have walked close by
 john arran 02 Aug 2016

I've not been on it myself but I believe the one at Vicdessos/Goulier you mention is actually two: a short introductory one and a more spicy one. People seem to think they're pretty good. Be aware though that it's a commercial operation rather than one you can just rock up to and do for free. Worth finding their website for info.
OP andyfallsoff 02 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

Thanks both - will check them out. Yes, I had realised after posting that there were two at Goulier - might be a good option, even if it is commercially run (we would have needed to find somewhere to hire some gear anyway).

I should have added as well, if anyone has any other general advice for where to go / what to do in the Pyrenees it would be gratefully received. After a week in Mirepoix for the wedding, we will have 5 days free in the region to explore a bit. Although a knee injury probably rules out any climbing, would be good to hear what is worth doing / visiting in the surroundings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

I have done the ridge version (in the winter when it was closed so we didn't pay) and it was pretty decent. You can bail after the bridge to make it into a very short (30mins?) trip.
The north face variation looks like quite quite a long undertaking,

http://chriscraggs.blogspot.no/2012/03/way-of-iron.html

Chris
 Mark Bull 02 Aug 2016

> would be good to hear what is worth doing / visiting in the surroundings.

There are some impressive show caves, some with amazing cave paintings, of which Niaux has some of the finest: http://www.sites-touristiques-ariege.fr/sites-touristiques-ariege/grotte-de... They do guided tours in English, but you normally need to book in advance.

Montségur, the last stronghold of the Cathars, is well worth a visit.

I guess the knee will rule out any serious walking too, but for some great views with little effort or height gain, you can drive up to Plateau de Beille and wander along the tracks heading south-east for a bit.

mbh 02 Aug 2016
In addition to the one at Montsegur, there are also other Cathar castles nearby at Roquefixade (great food at the Auberge des Troubadours) and Foix, as well as the historic village of Montaillou. We saw all of these last summer while hiking in the area. Later, we did three days on the GR10 and the Pic Carlit area from Merens-les-Vals to Latour-de-Carol/Enveitg, both on the main train line from Toulouse. We camped at the refuges. Very beautiful and not too taxing.
Post edited at 20:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...