UKC

plant identification

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 02 Aug 2016
On my lunchtime run today, I run through a small wood with a river. I noticed a plant that looked very much like rhubarb, single stemmed and a bin lid sized single leaf. I've seen this plant looks before but I have no idea of its name or properties, any ideas?
OP goldmember 02 Aug 2016
In reply to richprideaux:

Yes that's it
OP goldmember 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:
That's HUGE. Only seen them in Scotland what are they?

P.s. Thanks for sharing
Post edited at 20:00
 Chris Harris 02 Aug 2016
In reply to goldmember:

> That's HUGE. Only seen them in Scotland what are they?

Clue 1: The link you clicked on ends "Gunnera-Leaf1.jpg".

Just in case you're still struggling: It's a Gunnera.

*Sarcastic but helpful mode off*.

damowilk 03 Aug 2016

How do we know it's not just a really small head?
 Tom Last 03 Aug 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Gunnera?
 graeme jackson 03 Aug 2016

> Clue 1: The link you clicked on ends "Gunnera-Leaf1.jpg".

if you visit Howick Hall on the Northumbrian coast they have a 'patch' that far exceeds any I've seen elsewhere (including inverewe). Would cover at least 4 tennis courts. I've always been impressed by Gunnera, especially when it gets fully grown and the leaves exceed 8 feet across. I've also always been amazed that garden centres get away with selling it to normal householders as 'suitable for bog gardens'. maybe if your bog is the size of Rannoch moor. I've always preferred rheum as a garden plant.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheum_(plant)
 pebbles 03 Aug 2016
In reply to richprideaux:

dug up a bit of wild root to put in my garden coz I love the wierd fleshy spring flowers and the huge summer leaves look tropical. they are total thugs and spring up all over the place, but a pair of secateurs keeps them under control
 spartacus 03 Aug 2016
In reply to goldmember:
Moved into a new house in the Chilterns about a year ago. It has big garden, half of which we have left as wildflower meadow.
Very pleased to see Lady Orchids coming up this summer. About three of them in cluster.
Post edited at 10:05
 krikoman 03 Aug 2016
In reply to damowilk:

> How do we know it's not just a really small head?

Or a far away head and a close leaf

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...