UKC

Sport climbing spots in Bristol?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 swifty 02 Aug 2016
Hey,

Any of you guys know of any sport climbing spots local or in Bristol, which are reliable? Nothing to hard (5c/6c) as me and my climbing partner are making the leap from indoor to outdoor lead climbing. Nothing which involves trad climbing as I still don't really have the equipment or experience yet!

Cheers guys

Seb
 La benya 02 Aug 2016
In reply to swifty:

use the search crag function mate, just type in bristol and it'll show all the crags around. you can filter by type of climbing.
OP swifty 02 Aug 2016
In reply to La benya:

Oh yeah, Thanks Matey
 Steve nevers 02 Aug 2016
In reply to swifty:
Cheddar, Wyndcliff, and over into wales are your best bets. Would advise to check access details and helmet up and exercise caution and common sense at Cheddar and Wyndcliff in particular, well, same goes for any crag but they both tend to have loose bits.

In city there New Quarry and The Big Grey Wall (of chossy death) + Little Grey Wall. But they tend to be stiffer grades and/or as some would say, sh*te.
Post edited at 16:54
 zimpara 02 Aug 2016
In reply to swifty:

6c outdoors is nails.
 Cheese Monkey 02 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

No it's 6c
 La benya 02 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

What?!
 springfall2008 03 Aug 2016
In reply to swifty:

Try Woodcroft Quarry at Wintour's Leap and Ban-y-gor are both very close to Bristol (just the other side of the bridge).

Do you really mean 5c-6c, as Zimpara says 6c outdoors is _hard_
 Cheese Monkey 03 Aug 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

No it's 6c ffs
 zimpara 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

6c isn't exclusive solitary. It can be 6c aswell as being hard. And frequently is. Lol piss take
 Mick Ward 03 Aug 2016
In reply to swifty:

Go to Wyndcliffe Quarry. If you've got helmets, take 'em and wear 'em. If you haven't, just be even more careful. In general, stick to the upper tier. The lower has only one really good route, 'Old Men Last Longer' (That's if they even manage to get started, says this old man!) Ask people for good routes to start on. (There's a very pleasant little slab at the right hand side.) Park at the big car-park up the road. Be careful walking down to the crag - it's a very busy road. Enjoy ourselves and be careful.

Mick
In reply to zimpara:

What are you on about now?
 zimpara 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

Old men last longer is a great route.

He should also get on Mr whippy or miss whiplash at 6c if he wants a 6c so bad. Sure he'll enjoy that. :P
In reply to Mick Ward:

Personally I think Woodcroft Quarry is better quality rock, but I'm sure others will disagree

> No it's 6c ffs

Perhaps I'm being dumb, I don't get it?
6c is hard for some people easy for others. 6c is also relatively harder than 6b+. It's also easier than 7a. The statement "6c outdoors is hard" is complete bollocks.
Post edited at 23:08
 springfall2008 04 Aug 2016

Hi,

The average sports climb grade on UKC is 6a+, and the OP said they had only lead indoors. I'd be quite suprised if the OP could climb 6c outdoors on a first trip out!
 La benya 04 Aug 2016

Not the point hes making. regardless of whether its indoors or out, a route graded 6c will be (roughly) the same difficulty. Zimparas assertion that 6c outdoors is somehow harder than 6c indoors, and therefore the OP will struggle, is wrong. Also, hes just weird.
 Cheese Monkey 04 Aug 2016

Not the point. Also OP could climb 6c outdoors 1st try as according to their profile they are apparently an experienced sport climber so they should know how to climb rock. But their post says different. Who knows! So exciting
In reply to La benya:

I think it depends on which climbing centre as some are quite softly graded.

Igorning that you need practice on a particular rock type to climb at your limit - plastic is different to limestone. Also indoors the holds and hence the moves are usually obvious, outdoors you have to find the holds yourself. If your limit is 6c on plastic your unlikely to be able to climb that grade on rock first time out. I think most people drop 1-2 grades initially changing from indoors to outdoors.

zimpara 04 Aug 2016
If your limit is 6c on plastic, it's likely you'll be unable to climb much at all!

I certainly backed off a severe when I first touched rock, and I was leading 6c with 1 fall normally. Couldn't see the holds, or my feet, got scared and felt f*cking heavy!

Edit* just like to add, that the severe was on toprope aswell. I down climbed, didn't trust the rope.
Post edited at 18:50
In reply to zimpara:

Okay that's maybe an extreme example, I top roped a 5 my first time outside after only being able to climb 6a indoors and managed it (still was very scared)...
 zimpara 04 Aug 2016
In reply to La benya:

> Whether its indoors or out, a route graded 6c will be (roughly) the same difficulty.

No way in a million years! 6c routes indoors are usually pink crimps. 6c on rock... well you know!

Also, hes just wierd. Yes, and a realist.

Cheese Monkey 04 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Just because you're good at climbing out or in doesn't mean 6c isn't 6c

> Just because you're good at climbing out or in doesn't mean 6c isn't 6c

Still, I think most people would say indoor routes of a particular grade are easier than the equivalent outdoor routes. The technical grade maybe the same but finding the right sequence is harder. And that's ignoring the head game...
 Bobling 04 Aug 2016
In reply to swifty:

Watch in amazement as your seemingly simple query degenerates into a classic UKC "Black is Black" "No it can't possibly be Black is White!" slugfest.
In reply to Bobling:

Lol
 La benya 05 Aug 2016
you don't understand grading systems.

edit- Have you and zimpara teamed up to start a double act of ridiculousness on here?
Post edited at 09:23
> Still, I think most people would say indoor routes of a particular grade are easier than the equivalent outdoor routes. The technical grade maybe the same but finding the right sequence is harder. And that's ignoring the head game...

You'd probably find people who'd climbed mainly indoors would say that, and those who climb mainly outdoors would say that indoor routes are generally harder. Although, there's a big range of grading indoors and outdoors from soft touches to sandbags, generally speaking if you climb across several hundred routes at various crags then do the same at a couple of climbing walls over the period of a few years then things are going to average out about the same. But going back to what was said originally, if someone can get up 6c indoors I'm pretty sure they'd at least want to try getting up a 6c on their first few sessions outdoors.
Post edited at 09:54
 zimpara 05 Aug 2016
In reply to wurzelinzummerset:

You're dreaming aren't you. I would have thought you should know better.
You know 6c just isn't going to happen first time out. 6b isn't either and neither is a 6a+.
Absolutely no way. There's just no feet to a begginer. And at 6c, there aren't even starting holds! I was there 2 years ago. You were there probably 10 or so? Try and remember.
Now two years later and I can redpoint 6c+ in two days. And am yet to onsight 6b.
 Cheese Monkey 05 Aug 2016

You may as well talk to a brick wall mate
 GridNorth 05 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

wurzelinsummerset is not disagreeing really and I agree with what he says, this has been my experience. I started outdoors and find indoor routes harder, certainly in the physical sense, but I know people who started indoors who drop several grades when they go outside. I find that I can make more use of my feet real rock and I've been climbing so many years that I can "read" the routes. Many indoor bred climbers seem to struggle with both of these skills to start with.

The biggest discrepancy I have witnessed was an indoor 7a/7b leader who could not get up a VS. For my part if I'm climbing f6b indoors I can climb E2/E3 outside once I get my trad head on.

Al
 La benya 05 Aug 2016
In reply to GridNorth:
whether someone is capable or not of climbing a grade indoor or out of an equivilent grade is irrelevant as to whether the grade is correct.
a 7a indoors will be the same difficulty for a well rounded climber as a 7a on limestone, or grit, or granite or a slab or an overhang.

its not the grade that changes, it is your personal weaknesses and/ or stengths.

a grade is a grade is a grade. otherwise, what in the world is the point in having them?!

if you can lead steep indoor 7a but know you suck on outdoor slabs, then of course you wont get up a 7a slab outdoors. that doesnt mean its hard, or not 7a. just means you cant climb it. someone that is more practiced at both discliplines will be able to climb both.

subjectivities like the 'scary factor' dont come into sport grades, they are graded for the easiest way up, taking into consideration the entire route, assuming they are safe, because they should be.

Edit- This is assuming the routes are grading correctly, of course.
Post edited at 11:34
 zimpara 05 Aug 2016
In reply to La benya:

Route finding doesn't come into it, on an indoors route.
 La benya 05 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:
AHHHHHHHH!

Have you not read my comment? do you not understand its contents? have you not grasped the concept of grades? or are you being intentionally obtuse?

route reading is just another skill, like power or endurance. you either have it or you dont. it doesnt make any difference to the actual grade of the route if you suck at finding holds or not. they are there, whether you see them or not, and the grade is still the grade.
Post edited at 12:04
 GridNorth 05 Aug 2016
In reply to La benya:

I don't disagree with you, I'm expressing personal experience.

zimpara: I know. Are you having difficulty understanding what people write? You have contradicted a couple of us on here without apparent reason. Try reading the posts a couple of times before jumping in with both feet.

Al
 La benya 05 Aug 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

yeah, sorry. i was more replying to the whole thread.
 zv 05 Aug 2016
How did this topic evolve into the difficulty of 6c climbing and whether OP is competent enough to do it?

Unfortunately I am not from Bristol and I cannot help, however if you do get on a 6c, enjoy the process of pushing yourself outdoors.

It's a rewarding experience learning how to climb on real rock compared to outdoors. Hope you have a good time.
 springfall2008 05 Aug 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

I think everyone agrees here - the grade is the grade (assuming it's right), but different types of climbs need different skills. If you move from indoors to outdoors you are quite likely to drop some grades (but it depends on the rock and the person).

> if someone can get up 6c indoors I'm pretty sure they'd at least want to try getting up a 6c on their first few sessions outdoors.

Lol, I'd love to see that happen......

> Lol, I'd love to see that happen......

I'm sure it does quite frequently.
 Jamie B 05 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> If your limit is 6c on plastic, it's likely you'll be unable to climb much at all!

Are you having a laugh? Plenty of climbers out there who've never done 6c in their puff but are onsighting VS/HVS week in and week out.
In reply to Jamie B:

Yup, I can't climb 6c cleanly indoors (I might get up a route with many tries) but certainly can onsight VS.
 La benya 05 Aug 2016

thats because 6c is considerably harder than VS.

Im confused now, what was the point?
In reply to La benya:

Zimpara:
>>> If your limit is 6c on plastic, it's likely you'll be unable to climb much at all!

Jamie B:
>>Are you having a laugh? Plenty of climbers out there who've never done 6c in their puff but are onsighting VS/HVS week in and week out.

me:
>Yup, I can't climb 6c cleanly indoors (I might get up a route with many tries) but certainly can onsight VS.
 steveriley 05 Aug 2016
In reply to swifty:

Can't help with any local knowledge I'm afraid. Have a go at stuff but don't be shocked if you get a mild spanking. Or you might not: happy days. As it goes, I was climbing with someone new-ish this week - 2nd time on a rope outdoors:
- We did a load of mileage on easier stuff, got used to new stuff like threading the lower-offs, good times
- He commented: "I can't get over how friendly everyone is, surfing is *nothing* like this!"

PS It's probably polite to keep the 'Starting Out' forum friendly and positive. There's plenty of other snipe-friendly places
 zimpara 05 Aug 2016

> Zimpara:

> >>> If your limit is 6c on plastic, it's likely you'll be unable to climb much at all!

> Jamie B:

> >>Are you having a laugh? Plenty of climbers out there who've never done 6c in their puff but are onsighting VS/HVS week in and week out.

> me:

> >Yup, I can't climb 6c cleanly indoors (I might get up a route with many tries) but certainly can onsight VS.

First time on rock im talking!
 Jamie B 05 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

For sure there is an adjustment to be made, but it still seems a little bizarre to suggest that someone who is climbing 6c indoors will be struggling to get up *anything* outside!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...