UKC

Winter trad destinations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
henry castle 02 Aug 2016
Good evening,

Any unconventional ideas of winter trad destination for a climber looking to keep costs down? GO!
 Harry Ellis 02 Aug 2016
In reply to henry castle:

Anti atlas in Morocco. I loved it, lovely scenery, good solid rock for the most part at least on the north side. Easy to reach, cheap, friendly and yet felt quite different too with the muezzins calling out across the mountains.
 Lucy Wallace 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Harry Ellis:

Beat me to it. +1 for the Anti Atlas.
 rpc 03 Aug 2016
Valle Cochamo in Chile - big, multi-pitch granite nirvana and/or Frey in Argentina - smaller package routes but quality climbing.

Tasmania - routes are not huge but great variety of stone and styles...crack, face, slab. Our winter is a good time to go.

Wadi Rum in Jordan, Oman limestone (much of it is trad), even UAE seems to have some stuff but have not been.

Some reliably dry/warmish places in the US: Red Rocks, NV; Cochise, AZ (free camping options); Moab esp. towers (could be very cold in the dead of winter but typically dry); Joshua Tree (...probably not worth the long trip but that's just an opinion); Zion (again, could be cold & even snowy in dead of winter).

Some single pitch cragging areas around MX City (Los Dinamos &...I forget the name)...combined with some multi-pitch (yes - bolted) climbing around central Mexico would make for an interesting trip I think.
Post edited at 02:29
 Robert Durran 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Harry Ellis:

> Anti atlas in Morocco.

But that is the conventional answer!

Cheese Monkey 03 Aug 2016

Err the UK? In particular the SW. It doesnt rail all the time you know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...