UKC

The Dark Destroyer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AP Melbourne 03 Aug 2016
One of my most admired British boxers ever - Nigel Benn (80's/90's) now preaches in a Christian Ministery down here in Upsidedownland. Who'da thunk it eh?
 Phil Anderson 03 Aug 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

After a brutal fight which left his opponent (Gerald McClellan) with severe brain injury he went through a long period of remorse and self-loathing which spiralled into drink and drug abuse - something you'd maybe empathise with AP if you don't mind me saying.

His way out was to find God and transform his life to one of good deeds.
OP AP Melbourne 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Phil Anderson:

Spot on Phil (and I take no offense at your comment), cheers.
'Born again' ... I believe Chris Eubank (Snr) 'saw the light' too and does similar things. The parallels (think Watson 2) are still chilling to watch.
 Shani 03 Aug 2016
In reply to AP Melbourne:

What I liked about Benn was his humility. Once when asked about Chris "Kwith" Eubank, the interviewer sais, "Do you respect Eubank?". To which Benn replied, "I have to respect him. He beat me three times."

Benn, Bruno and Hamed are my three favourite boxers. For the past decade I've much prefered UFC though!
OP AP Melbourne 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Shani:

Ha Ha Shani,
I went the full three minute round with Hamed when I was in the prime of my life at 26 in Sheffield.
OK, so he was only 12 but thats irrelevant.
In reply to Shani:

Benn wasn't terribly humble during his career - quite the rude party boy - never out of nightclubs and hanging out with footballers etc. Compared to Eubank he had an easier path to public recognition / getting the big fights - recognised as an amateur when he left the army, instantly was signed up by a gifted publicist / manager (Ambrose Mendy) - he was making waves and a known "face" from the start.

Eubank was sent off to New York as a kid and had to earn respect as a soft, lispy limey in the gyms there, returned to the UK as a complete unknown. Probably part explains (but doesn't really excuse) the ridiculous behaviour - anything to get sufficiently well known that existing big names couldn't duck him.

In reply to Phil Anderson:

Re Benn - he may have felt regret over McClellen's sad fate (he was a genuinely horrible man by all accounts but no-one deserves to end up like that) - but his feelings over boxing as a sport must still be pretty positive - given that he is an enthusiastic supporter of his son Conor's fledgling boxing career.
 Chris Harris 04 Aug 2016
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

> ...hanging out with footballers etc.

A savage indictment, if ever there was...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...