UKC

Today at the Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 04 Aug 2016
Did we have a Today at the Test thread yesterday ? if so apologies I missed it. An interesting day in store. Hard to know whether 297 is a par score or 50 shy.

Looks like our middle order is in need of a re shuffle. I'd say opener as well but I'm struggling to think of a better idea than Hayles.
 Chris the Tall 04 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

England were put in, which seems quite rare these days, so maybe 300 is par. Then again Cook said he would have batted...

Good to see Balance back on form, but was surprised he was recalled instead of Scott Borthwick being given a chance (but that's partly cos I think Yorkshire need him)
 TomGB 04 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:
297 is par leaning to good I'd say. With Pakistan not boasting a top class batting lineup, a moving pitch and overcast skies I'd expect our seamers to clean up. Watch them make 400 now...
Post edited at 10:48
 Matt Vigg 04 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

I reckon Pakistan will be disappointed, Moeen did well - 63 is a lot in that score. They'll need to bat well and they probably need a century to get any decent lead.
OP GrahamD 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

Attritional stuff today. Pakistan digging in well at the moment.
 Matt Vigg 04 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes, 297 starting to look a bit ropey....
OP GrahamD 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

England are going to need some quick wickets. The last one from Woakes may be a glimmer of hope.
 Matt Vigg 05 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Maybe if the green mist descends over Broad or Anderson there might be a chance.... Plus the new ball and some cloud, you never know!
 Big Ger 05 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

In other news; Aus are on the back foot against Sri Lanka.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/live-cricket-scores-second-test-day-two...
 Matt Vigg 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Always nice to see
OP GrahamD 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

On day 2 ??? wow
OP GrahamD 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

Not looking good. If we're lucky and really turn the screws we are still looking at 50 - 100 run first inning defecit. Slow scoring though, so forcing a result from it might be hard.
In reply to GrahamD:

296/5 now
 Matt Vigg 05 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:
Not happening is it... Reckon Pakistan could still win it cause we'll be under pressure and only about half our real batsmen can handle that, on a good day!

Hang on a minute, two quick wickets and it's looking different....
Post edited at 14:25
OP GrahamD 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

We might get away with a 100 defecit here if we're lucky now
OP GrahamD 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

That turned out better than I'd expected ! hopefully that will be a psycological blow to Pakistan
 Matt Vigg 05 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Definitely, seems there's plenty of game left in this!
 Big Ger 06 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:
Australia v Sri Lanka: Tourists in disarray as 21 wickets fall on day two

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-sri-lanka-rangana-herath-cl...

Aus, chasing 415, are on 3/25, (2 night watchmen in that, frigging Warner gone cheap again.)

I'll be a Pom in the office today then!
Post edited at 00:41
 Big Ger 06 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:
Whoopsy, my bad, Joe Burns went cheaply for 2, not Warner.

Warner still in. For now.

ETA: and gone ten minutes in for 41. Wasted an appeal too.
Post edited at 05:54
Gone for good 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Matt Vigg:

> Not happening is it... Reckon Pakistan could still win it cause we'll be under pressure and only about half our real batsmen can handle that, on a good day!

> Hang on a minute, two quick wickets and it's looking different....

Yes......very different. England effectively 27 for 2.
 Postmanpat 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Gone for good:
England have found some pretty dumb ways of getting out but in between times have batted sensibly and look like they will accumulate enough to get at least a draw. Their core problem is that only Cook and Root look likely to score tons (maybe Bairstow!)
363-5 , 260 ahead.
Post edited at 18:01
 Matt Vigg 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:
I suspect the main problem now will be when cook decides (or doesn't) to declare, should be tonight!

Edit - make that: should have been tonight....
Post edited at 18:39
Gone for good 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

A solid yet unspectacular batting display.
England should bat for 30 or 40 runs maximum and aim to bowl out Pakistan in a minimum 80 overs. It will take an inspired spell of bowling but England have got plenty of match winners in that department.
 Matt Vigg 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

Got one wicket already... Still think they should have declared yesterday and bowled to tired and demotivated batsmen, England had plenty of wickets in hand to get another 30 quickly then bowl a few overs.
 Postmanpat 07 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Has anyone noticed that Younis Khan looks rather like Michael Atherton? Are they by any chance related?

Anyway, Khan is out, 94-3 and ball beginning to reverse swing......
 Postmanpat 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

125-7......

4 wickets down for one run.
 Matt Vigg 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Blimey I stand corrected, they had loads of time to win this.
In reply to Matt Vigg:

9 wickets down!
In reply to Matt Vigg:

> Blimey I stand corrected, they had loads of time to win this.

A good victory for England, wasn't sure they would do it.
 Andy Farnell 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Christheclimber: Proper test cricket. 5 days, the outcome swung every day, a good wag of the Pakistan tail and decided in the final session. Fantastic.

Andy F

Gone for good 07 Aug 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

Good to see all of the bowling attack claim an equal number of wickets, particularly Finn who's been in the doldrums lately. Equally good to see Moeen claim man of the match.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...