UKC

New guidebook to Shetland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 annakyn 04 Aug 2016
I've just finished writing the first dedicated guidebook to Shetland and thought I'd post up on here for those interested! The book will have 240 pages, 50+ crags and 800+ routes (we've been busy!)

It'll be available in September but to help gauge print numbers (it's very niche, so I'll be printing low numbers) I'm offering discounted pre-orders from our website.

Preview and details: http://shetlandclimbing.info/guidebook/

Cheers. Al
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 04 Aug 2016
In reply to annakyn:

Superb effort Al. Demo pages look great!
 Brown 04 Aug 2016
In reply to annakyn:

It looks great. I'm hoping to return at some point and this looks like it will help demystify some of the areas.

OP annakyn 04 Aug 2016
Thanks Rushy, I can remember chatting to you about v1 of the guide which stalled back in 2010, probably before you'd thought of the Dollies guide!

Thanks Dave, your input on Foula has helped a lot - still a place I've yet to climb (or should I say not wanted to climb, yet!)
In reply to annakyn:
Good work Al. I've just placed an order.

I've also shared it as widely as I can on FarceBook
Post edited at 21:20
OP annakyn 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Nice one! Cheers.
In reply to annakyn:

Wow, good work Al, didn't know there was so much rock out there! Must get over from the Highlands.

Will also spread the word
 petestack 05 Aug 2016
In reply to annakyn:

Just ordered... dunno when I'll ever use it in earnest, but I love Shetland and it looks interesting!
In reply to annakyn:

I've just ordered my copy.

I actually Bought North Highlands North after returning from Orkney earlier this year, with the intention of heading to Shetland next year; however, there isn't actually that much info on Shetland in the guide so this is a timely update!

Look forward to receiving my copy!
OP annakyn 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Thanks Rob. Yeah SMC realised it was a bit too big a job to keep updating Shetland in their guide so they decided to leave it, although they still collate route information I think. Gary Latter thought the same, despite climbing in Shetland several times, it's just a bit far out (and a lot of effort) to include in his Scottish guides.
In reply to annakyn:

I'll give you a shout if I'm ever up that way, always nice to have some local recommendations!
In reply to annakyn:

Well done and thank you ! I shall buy it and come up !
 peter.herd 06 Aug 2016
In reply to annakyn:

Have ordered mine. Great to hear and hopefully it will encourage more climbers up. I would certainly like to return. People looking for info in the mean time should also consult the Shetland climbing website where there are lots of useful mini guides.

We had a good time when we went a few years ago. Ross Jones met up with us and showed us around. He was keen to point us at new routes and took us to repeat others. The climbing community is small, although growing and there is a vast quantity of good climbing. We found the 'scene' very refreshing; an open, encouraging and all inclusive stance on trad climbing that i hadn't experienced on the mainland. This is of course not surprising given many of the good routes won't be repeated and many lines will remain unclimbed without some local info, tip offs etc but it was refreshing none the less.

All that in mind, my friend has a family home and wheels up there and therefore the otherwise steep ferry price was reasonable and the accommodation free. Trip cost is perhaps the major obstacle for climbers given similar style trips to Orkney or the Outer Hebrides would be cheaper. I suppose you just fill your car and book some cheap accommodation - perhaps a 'böd'. Another thing worth bearing in mind is that it can be pretty cold and exposed up there. There are plenty crags to hide away in whatever the weather but for a longer trip you are probably best aiming to go in the summer with a reasonable forecast. The rewards are plenty though.. big cliffs, remoteness and the simmer dim!
 Robert Durran 06 Aug 2016
In reply to annakyn:

Looks great! Can't wait to visit.
OP annakyn 06 Aug 2016
In reply to peter.herd:

Great summary Peter, sorry I never got to meet you when you were up. We don't advertise our new venues but if someone comes up and gets in touch, we'll certainly point out new routes. In 2014, the year you came, over 100 new routes were climbed! Saying that, I've mentioned a good few crags with new route potential in the guide. Hopefully catch you next time you're up.
 peter.herd 07 Aug 2016
In reply to annakyn:

Looking forward to it.
 TAG_UTLEY 08 Aug 2016
In reply to annakyn:

Hi,

Will the book be available in print anywhere on Shetland in early September? I am up in Shetland working, and in fact will be on Foula for two weeks also working as of next week and it would be great to grab a copy while I am up there.

Thanks
OP annakyn 10 Aug 2016
In reply to TAG_UTLEY:

No sorry it won't be available until mid September at the earliest.
 TAG_UTLEY 10 Aug 2016
In reply to annakyn:
Thanks for letting me know!
 Brown 10 Aug 2016
In reply to TAG_UTLEY:

There are some big cliffs on Foula and if you take a head torch you could explore the sandstone caves as well behind the Da Smaalie.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...