UKC

Van window mats/curtains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ffati 04 Aug 2016

I have a new van which im slightly excited about!

My conversion is sorted apart from the curtains or window mat dilemma, what's people's preference and recommendations here? (Van is a vw t6 with a tailgate)
Post edited at 20:49
 Dark-Cloud 04 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:

I used the internal silver screen type for a few years, then put curtains in the side and tailgate, they are 100 times better than the screens, still use silver screen type in front and front sides, I think the external silver screens for the front would be even better.
 WaterMonkey 04 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:

Van X curtains and rails for me with my T5. Also use the silver sun screen thing for the windscreen and front side windows.
 gethin_allen 04 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:

If you are handy with a sewing machine you could make your own and use magnets to attach them.
 Kahti 05 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:

I have homemade mats for my side windows (front is sealed off at bulkhead). Old karrimat inside a sleeve so it can be removed and the sleeve washed. Fastened with velcro as my window frames are aluminium and therefore not magnetic. The velcro creates a tight seal preventing condensation on the windows. Much nicer to look at than silver space blanket things - nice african tribal print material on the inside! Roll up nice and small when not in use. I also have homemade midge nets that can attach to the same velcro which is cool. Total cost - £10 in velcro for both windows (I got it from a tarpaulin place in Inverness). The rest was stuff I had lying around.

Before this I had made ply shutters with foil faced bubble wrap. Probably slightly more insulation but a bit of a hassle.
 tallsteve 05 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:

I used black-out lining (white) and net curtain wires from the local haberdashers for the summer curtains, but the wires sag in the middle and let in the light so strongly recommend curtain rails. The black out lining is good though. Easy to cut, no need to hem and the white reflects the light so the van is nice and light with the curtain is closed - also despite the sag the van is still darker than a tent in the morning. If going the velcro route make sure you get decent quality velcro that will last. I have some cheaper velcro that has lost its grip as curtain ties (double sided).

I insulated the van with 10mm Polyethylene (PE) carpet underlay (NOT PU Polyurethane sponge!) from which I made insulated window panels. Its the same stuff that carry mats are made of and pretty cheep. Easy to mark and cut. I ordered 50m from a carpet wholesaler (the local carpet shops don't do it) where about 30m would have done, but now have a 20mm insulating layer and these nice winter window covers. The flexible nature of the PE means that when cut accurately they just sit in the windows without any attachments.
pwhiteside 05 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:

Another vote for Van-X curtains. Great fit and quality.
In reply to ffati:

I have curtains fitted which I use all year round. I've also got a set of silver insulated panels which get tucked behind the curtains in the Winter to keep the van cozy.
 Jus 05 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:

Van X curtains all the way. Super easy install.

For windscreen mats I highly recommend the Kiravans ones

www.kiravans.co.uk
OP ffati 06 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:
Seems like that a mat and curtain combo is the way to go, anyone have experience if the van x curtains will fit a t6? On the webpage they specify that they are t5 curtains not sure if they will fit as the Arsenal end of a t6 has changed shape.
 Dark-Cloud 08 Aug 2016
In reply to ffati:

No idea on the T6, best checking with them.

I didn't like the Van-X attitude on the vwt4forum a few months back when he was dealing with his curtains fading so looked elsewhere and went with these, very happy with them:

www.veedubtransporters.co.uk

Or you could try Kiravans who are super helpful guys

www.kiravans.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...