UKC

venues in April, Kalymnos or somewhere else?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi All

I am looking for some advice for climbing destinations around April time, I want to go for 4 weeks, Id like it to be easy to get to,(I live in the french alps) and not to expensive, like a place with lots of options grade wise from the 6's up to 8a, and the sea for a dip even now and then,

I am thinking about Kalymnos we went in May and really enjoyed it, and really want to go back, it was our first thought but we are worried that in April with the Easter holidays it will be mega busy and we just don't enjoy that.

can I get any feed back from anyone who has climbed there in April especially in the Easter holiday period as to how busy it is, also so love to hear of other places that could be suitable then for that kind of trip.

many thanks in advance Rob
 zv 07 Aug 2016
In reply to ecrinscollective:
Never been to Kalymnos, however Siurana might fit the bill for you.

If you hire a car, you could climb in the day, it's busy over Easter, however because there are so many sectors, the days at the crag just don't really feel busy.

The climbing is a bit old school, bouldery and cruxy very often, however certainly an excellent range between 6a and 8a.

In the evening or rest days, you could drive down to the lake nearby and kayak or go for a dip, or go drive down to Tarragona and enjoy the beach there.

Other destinations in Spain might fit the bill (Costa Blanca maybe?) but I've never been to another one with a beach nearby.
Post edited at 09:39
In reply to zmv:

Hi ZMV

thanks for your reply Siurana looks very cool I will do some more digging, don't mind old school and cruxy,
quick question is it polished? i really hate polish i know you should practice what you aren't good at but for four weeks maybe not?

I have been to Costa Blanca a few times over 10 years ago, and liked it but no super keen to go back.

thanks again for your ideas

cheers Rob
 zv 07 Aug 2016
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Hi, no probs Rob.

The classics are polished, however nothing like Cheedale/Kilnsey polish.

If you stay off the most climbed routes - there are about 10-20 out 1500 or so, the rock has very grippy texture, in fact grippier than most other limestone crags I've been to. Pockets are often sharp on more powerful routes though.

Hope you plan a fantastic holiday, 4 weeks is a great amount of time for loads of ticking!
In reply to zmv:

thanks ZMV sounds really cool, I love a grippy texture best take the climb on, I can't complain about time to climb, i live in the alps and work part time, but its the big 40 next year and i fancy a nice long trip and maybe that elusive 8a????

thanks for your help

cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...