UKC

50 years of Right Angle - help to find John Gerber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james mann 06 Aug 2016

Hello,

It may have escaped your notice but Right Angle at Gurnards HeadRight Angle (HS 4b)is 50 years old on the 26th of August. I climbed the route the other day with Iain Peters (the first ascensionist) and before we got started we were talking about the first ascent. Iain told me that he climbed the route with a southern sandstone climber called John Gerber and that he had tried, unsuccessfully, to find him a few times over the years. On the 26th of August Iain will be holding a celebration of the route to mark 50 years of this sea cliff classic. He hopes (lethally perhaps) to get 50 people on the route at the same time or at least 50 people climbing the route in a day (perhaps less lethally), one for each year, and then a celebration at The Count House after a pint or two in the Gurnards Head. I know that he would like to find John Gerber and extend an invite to him to attend. John had done little climbing before being dragged off to try and climb the line. Can anyone help with contact details? A long shot, but worth a punt.

James

If anyone down in the area might be fancying right angle on the 26th you are welcome but should be aware that you may not have the crag to yourselves!
Post edited at 09:48
OP james mann 06 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:

Bump
 Rob Naylor 07 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:

Sure it's John Gerber? My fairly old copy of the guide gives the name of Iain's partner as "J Bember"?
OP james mann 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

The original name of the partner was incorrect in many guidebooks for years. This has been amended in the latest guide. Iain was absolutely certain about this.

Cheers

James
 marsbar 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Rob Naylor:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=502453

About 1/4 of the way down
OP james mann 08 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:

bump
 Rob Naylor 08 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:

OK, fair dos, seen Iain's post. I started off climbing on southern sandstone and know most of the "more mature" climbers here but his name doesn't ring a bell. I was pretty old when I took up climbing though (42) so he must have dropped out of the local scene before I started.
 marsbar 08 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:

Do you know what line of work he was in, or where he was from? If he isn't climbing then that might be a better way to try to find him.
In reply to marsbar:

We have little info about him. Iain met him when he was living at the count house in 1966 and they were staying. Iain thinks he may have been down with his brother. He hadn't done much climbing before that at all and I don't think Iain ever saw him again after the week. We have little more to go on than a name. Iain has tried to find him before but with no success.

Cheers

James
In reply to james mann:

One more try. If anyone knows anybody who might be able to help please ask even if it's a long shot.
 jing 17 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:

The celebration sounds like a fun idea. But if I had plan to do the climb on that day I'd be very disappointed.
 Offwidth 17 Aug 2016
In reply to jing:

Really?.. I'd be chuffed to bits to be part of celebrating it's history.
 marsbar 17 Aug 2016
In reply to jing:

Why not just be one of the 50 then go to the pub?
 Rog Wilko 17 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:
Fifty people on the route simultaneously and a few pints in the Gurnards Head. Make sure you do these in that order. Or perhaps not.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Aug 2016
In reply to jing:

You'd probably have a point if all 50 climbed the route one after the other and made you wait. But I'm sure they'd let you jump the queue and count you as part of the 50+
 climbwhenready 17 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:

You should all move together. That I would pay to see.
OP james mann 17 Aug 2016
In reply to jing:

Have you got it planned for the 26th? There have after all been 18250 days on which you could potentially have had it to yourself! The day should be a lot of fun and I know that Iain is very much looking forward to celebrating, what is to him and many others a memorable experience. It amazes me at times, the ease with which it is possible to offend on ukc.

James
 jing 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I do appreciate the fact that the celebration will be inclusive and friendly, and that the climbers will be safe and competent. But I was making the point that some people might just want to enjoy the climb, without the need to overtake lots of teams. While appreciating the history of this great route, not everyone necessarily want to take part in the celebration the same way.

Coincidentally, I'm going to be there just after the anniversary day so I will attempt to climb then. I hope y'all have a good time
 jing 17 Aug 2016
In reply to james mann:

Hi James - No I'm not planning to climb it on 26th. I'm sure the celebration will be fun and memorable. I was simply raising a hypothetical point which I think is only fair to be taken into (at least a little bit of) consideration, which I'm sure you have.

No I'm not offended at all. But you sound a little frustrated. So I do apologise for my comment earlier.

I hope y'all have a good celebration on the 26th!

Best,
Jing
 Simon Caldwell 18 Aug 2016
In reply to jing:

FWIW I agree with you, and if we'd found it heaving when we turned up to do it one afternoon a few years ago I'd have been peeved. But I'm an antisocial git

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...