UKC

Drill in threads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 barrington1978 06 Aug 2016
Hi all,

There is a large climable sea slab near my home town. The slab is slate and devoid of natural protection. Drilling threads mighr seem to be less intrusive to the eye than placing bolts, would this be completely futile from a climbing safety point of view ?
 zimpara 06 Aug 2016
In reply to barrington1978:

Devoid of pro, but whats the climbing difficulty and is it top ropeable?
In reply to barrington1978: I doubt that. I have a load of bolts here that are something like 4mm stainless twists (made by bolt products) which you wouldn't be able to see from more than about 20ft away unless you weer really looking.

Threads on a sea cliff are safer than bolts? Now I know you're having a laff, guv'nor.

Rick Graham 06 Aug 2016
In reply to barrington1978:

> There is a large climable sea slab near my home town. The slab is slate and devoid of natural protection. Drilling threads mighr seem to be less intrusive to the eye than placing bolts, would this be completely futile from a climbing safety point of view ?

Safety depends on how big you make the thread holes and if you test a few trial ones for ultimate strength.

Bolting acceptance depends on the local climber's ethics and possibly the landowner.

HTH
 Jennygraham 06 Aug 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

As Frank says, in situ threads will deteriorate very quickly and be very visible.

Best bet is some bolts/ glue ins suitable for the location.

Best ask Jim at BoltProducts. IIRC the minimum size is more like 6 or 8 mm but still quite unobtrusive.
Thanks all, drill in threads are not an option so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...