UKC

What tinned food

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 07 Aug 2016
If you were going to carry a tin of something tasty for a hard days walking and then bivvy, what would it be?

Is there anything more delicious and palatable than a warm scotch broth?
abseil 07 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Spam? Spaghetti Hoops?
 Rob Exile Ward 07 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Packet soup and bread would be good and much lighter alternatives.

Be hard to beat a tin of curry and rice however, and if you really want to push the boat out take some cucumber as well.
 Dave Ferguson 07 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

all day breakfast of course
 marsbar 07 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I prefer pouches, lighter than tins.
 Dave the Rave 07 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Backers Royal Game Soup. It even has a deer on the tin.
 Dell 07 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Not by much! Hold an empty tin in your hand, not loads of weight. Of course if you're going for a week or more then I see your point. Tins are much cheaper too, good for the younger, fitter, cash strapped youngster!

All day breakfast is a good shout, or a tin of Stagg chili, mopped up with a buttered roll.
 Dell 07 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Heinz big soup, the big 500g one if there's two of you. Carry one each and you've got dinner for two nights. Add some water to make it go a bit further, and the obligatory roll.
 Joak 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

>> Is there anything more delicious and palatable than a warm scotch broth?

A hot Scotch burd
 wintertree 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Condensed Milk. Sweetened, condensed milk to me is like spinach to Popeye. In an emergency I can drink a tin in about 30 seconds.
 marsbar 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Dell:

I expect you are right, it's probably psychological as much as anything.
 marsbar 08 Aug 2016
In reply to wintertree:

Have you tried it in coffee?
 Siward 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Haggis, obviously!
 Neil Williams 08 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:
Not significantly. It's non-dehydrated food that's heavy, not the actual tin.

Though if you are one of those people who lop off half their toothbrush to save weight, perhaps...
Post edited at 08:56
 graeme jackson 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Newky brown comes in tins - that would be high on my list
OP zimpara 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Neil Williams:

Dehydrated foods means you're carrying water for it anyway surely?
 Trangia 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Chicken curry with quick boil rice. Yummy!
 MG 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Dehydrated foods means you're carrying water for it anyway surely?

Bivi near a stream!

Personally, if I am going to carry a tin, it will be pineapple chunks.
In reply to zimpara:
Unless you collect from a stream and purify, I suppose. I'd rather carry proper food, but then I guess I've got a slight advantage in that regard given that the classic "third of my bodyweight" as a maximum rucksack weight is about 6 stone, so I don't need to be quite as careful on rucksack weight as some.

(I don't generally carry a 38kg rucksack, as that works out to, can't quite see how I'd get a 70 litre rucksack that heavy without filling it with bricks[1], but it does mean I don't need to think about that aspect very much)

[1] My trolley case is a similar capacity and I've never had it over easyJet's 20kg limit even when packed full of stuff.
Post edited at 09:45
 wintertree 08 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> Have you tried it in coffee?

I don't touch coffee but I've been known to use condensed milk to boost a White Russian.
 Toerag 08 Aug 2016
For what it's worth, my big Lowe alpine Cerro Torre bag weighed in at 22kg when chockablock with stuff for a 10 day trek. I agree that 38kg will require bricks .
To those talking about weight - don't forget a tin needs a tin opener (unless you have one on your knife), but you may be able to eliminate a cooking pot unless you need it for something else. The way I see it is like this:-
Pros - tins can be eaten cold & quickly if necessary, can taste nicer than dried food and are normally cheaper than dried food.
Cons - dried food + water is a more versatile combo (the water can be used for other things like 1st aid and drinking), and dried food is lighter if you're able to obtain water at camp without additional weight of a purifier. Tins are also bulky.
Personally I think tins are acceptable for the 1st night of a multi-day thing, but I tend to use supermarket dried food - a double helping of 'Mugshots' makes for a good main course.
In reply to Toerag:

Enough tins these days have ring pulls - just look for those
Bellie 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Chicken Supreme - eaten with chicken instant noodles. I've decanted the lot into a bag before on a short trip.

or - the M & S tinned curries. Very tasty.

Been a long time since I stuffed a tin into my pack though!

jamie_bkc 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Giant bean-os, discovered in Kalymnos, and later at my local international food shop. Cheap, tin is portion sized, couple with bread or eat alone hot or cold.

http://www.alexisfoods.com/local/images/items/jumbo/IT000744.jpg
 andrewmc 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

> [...] and dried food is lighter if you're able to obtain water at camp without additional weight of a purifier.

Purifying tablets weigh very little, saving you the purifier.
abseil 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Bellie:

> .....or - the M & S tinned curries. Very tasty....

You're right about M & S tinned food, they have some good ones [though a bit expensive].
OP zimpara 08 Aug 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

So does a jetboil.
 climbwhenready 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Mountain House pasta with lasagne sauce.
 petegunn 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Top tip for tinned food.
Buy some "Pour n Store" bags and empty the tinned food into these before you go.
You now have a "boil in the bag"
You can use the water for a drink afterwards and the bags are reusable for several trips
 drunken monkey 08 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I used to love the tinned sausages and lentils you could get in the supermarkets in Chamonix. Haven't seen them in the UK.
 Mike-W-99 08 Aug 2016
In reply to drunken monkey:

> I used to love the tinned sausages and lentils you could get in the supermarkets in Chamonix. Haven't seen them in the UK.

Cassoulet? Lidl sell it sometimes.
 drunken monkey 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

that's the one - great stuff, will keep an eye out! Cheers
 Pyreneenemec 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Cassoulet? Lidl sell it sometimes.

Can't beat a decent cassoulet.

The better ones ( artisanal) have 'confit de canard'.
 Mike-W-99 08 Aug 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

Confit de Canard, one of my favourites.
 andrewmc 09 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> So does a jetboil.

The fuel to boil the water is probably heavier than a purifying tablet, although I suspect it makes very little difference (particularly as with a cylinder you can't fine-tune your fuel supplies that exactly anyway).
 summo 09 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Bacon roll.

Presuming of course I ever felt the need to carry a tin of anything, which I don't.
 Pyreneenemec 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Confit de Canard, one of my favourites.

We do our own, using ' Familia Wiss' jars. It's a time consuming process but the result is well worth a little effort.

The ducks are bought on a local market, minus the liver. Nothing is wasted, the remaining carcass is grilled and 'fritons' are produced when the fat is melt. Best of all is cooking chips in the duck-fat !
 goldmember 09 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Sainburys Chickpea dhal is very decent
pasbury 09 Aug 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Stagg Chilli with bread and butter. Though not for those with delicate digestive systems.
 Pyreneenemec 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

I've got a 'dislike' for my comments on 'confit de canard':- sigh.

No doubt cruelty to ducks etc etc bla bla bla bla.

In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Some northern types are very particular about what chips should be cooked in, and will rant that it has to be beef dripping...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/may/20/how-to-fry...

Not convinced by some of the twaddle written there about parboiling and double-frying, etc. I used to use Maris Piper, cooked in corn oil, starting hot to crisp up the outer, then turning it down a bit to allow them to cook through. No pre-soaking, no rinsing, just chop into 1cm chips, and bung them in the oil. Not trying to get chip shop chips (which are great), but a more like 'french fries'. I liked them at university, but, although I now have a deep fat fryer, I'm not sure I've cooked more than a few batches since then...

Not that you can get chips in a can, though...
 Mike-W-99 09 Aug 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Not that you can get chips in a can, though...
I thought a quick google would prove you wrong. You weren't but it did bring up - The Manwich!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunts-Manwich-Original-Sloppy-Sauce/dp/B01E2R3X1Y/
 PPP 09 Aug 2016

> Though if you are one of those people who lop off half their toothbrush to save weight, perhaps...

I actually did it. It's so much better, it fits into pockets/bags that it wouldn't have otherwise and it's something that makes me smile every time I use it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...