UKC

synchonised diving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 09 Aug 2016
wtf?
 bouldery bits 09 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

I watched the men's last night. Mind blowing. Especially from 10m. Got me thinking - I should try diving?
OP john arran 09 Aug 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I watched the men's last night. Mind blowing. Especially from 10m. Got me thinking - I should try diving?

Yes but would you be as keen to do your best possible dive? Or would you really be happiest doing a lesser dive as long as you could do it exactly in sync with another competitor?
 kevin stephens 09 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

The great thing about the Olympics is the chance to watch and enjoy all the weird (climbing - watch this space) and wonderful sports that we don't normally get the chance to appreciate
 Queenie 09 Aug 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

True. The judo made interesting viewing, and the equestrian eventing was gripping.
 PPP 09 Aug 2016

And yet climbers believe that crags will be full straight after 2020...

To be honest, I didn't even know the synchronized diving was in Olympics as well, even though I have spent 5 days a week in the swimming pool for 7 years.
 SChriscoli 09 Aug 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

Did you see the Filipino team.

World class :-D
Graeme G 09 Aug 2016

> The great thing about the Olympics is the chance to watch and laugh at all the weird (climbing - watch this space) and pointless sports that we don't normally get the chance to suffer

Fixed that for you
 Jon Stewart 09 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

If you start questioning the 'why' of sports, then you're in an infinite regress...
 Cú Chullain 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Surely you can question the 'why' of dressage though? I mean making your horse look pretty before making it tiptoe side ways without dumping its breakfast on the floor is pushing the definition of sport a bit?
 Postmanpat 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> Surely you can question the 'why' of dressage though? I mean making your horse look pretty before making it tiptoe side ways without dumping its breakfast on the floor is pushing the definition of sport a bit?

Golf. Have you ever actually watched golf?
 Cú Chullain 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Golf. Have you ever actually watched golf?

Watch it, I play it!
 Rob Parsons 09 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

> wtf?

Not a new event by any means, John - and no more silly than climbing.

It's all just a game.
Post edited at 22:43
 Postmanpat 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Not a new event by any means, John - and no more silly than climbing.

> It's all just a game.

Any sport that can produce a "wizzpopper" cant be bad and that's what the commentator called the last dive.
 Big Ger 09 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

Some bloke copying Tom Daley also gets medal.

https://www.facebook.com/NewsThump/posts/1207942712569491
 Postmanpat 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> Watch it, I play it!

And you laugh at dancing horses? What do you think they think of you?
OP john arran 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

While I've never been a fan, golf would seem to be a near-perfect expression of objective sporting endeavour compared to how well one can perform choreographed tricks while falling into water.
Graeme G 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Robin Williams sums it up nicely for me....

youtube.com/watch?v=LSXMS8ABAAU&
 WaterMonkey 09 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

> Yes but would you be as keen to do your best possible dive? Or would you really be happiest doing a lesser dive as long as you could do it exactly in sync with another competitor?

I'm not sure you've grasped the concept of the synchronicity! Was watching the women's today and I'm pretty certain the underwater cameras are to catch them putting their boobs back in, whilst synchronised obviously..
 Cú Chullain 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

> And you laugh at dancing horses? What do you think they think of you?

Probably quite envious that shitting my breakfast out during play is not a high risk.
 Robert Durran 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> Fixed that for you

I thought you said in that other thread that you would be happy to f*** off with your tedious cynicism and let the rest of us enjoy the Ol;ympics
Moley 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

> I'm not sure you've grasped the concept of the synchronicity! Was watching the women's today and I'm pretty certain the underwater cameras are to catch them putting their boobs back in, whilst synchronised obviously..

Didn't see any boobs though, I was watching closely, waste of time
 birdie num num 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

I'd like to get involved in a bit of synchronised MFF muff diving
 Mike Stretford 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:
> Yes but would you be as keen to do your best possible dive? Or would you really be happiest doing a lesser dive as long as you could do it exactly in sync with another competitor?

That dilemma is obviously part of the sport. In the 15 mins I watched it the commentators did point that difficulty matters, just in case there was anyone out there thinking a perfectly synced straight dive would bag gold.
Post edited at 08:02
Graeme G 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

> I thought you said in that other thread that you would be happy to f*** off with your tedious cynicism and let the rest of us enjoy the Ol;ympics

No. I said feel free to enjoy it. I don't recall making any assurances i would stop stating the bleeding obvious.
 birdie num num 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

I reckon if synchronised divers get really unsynchronised, then they should be drug tested for cheating
 bouldery bits 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

My best possible I think. But synchro would be fun too!
 Alyson 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

I must admit I was thinking the same as I watched it. Don't get me wrong, I love the Olympics and I love seeing the results of peoples' commitment and dedication to their sport but at some point if you break down what they're training themselves for it starts to sound a bit comical.

"What have you been doing these last 4 years?"
"Falling."
"Falling?"
"Yes, falling into water."
"What for?"
"I'm training for the Olympics."
"Wow, so are you one of the best in the world now at falling into water?"
"Oh I'm not aiming for that, I want to be the best at falling into water in a similar manner to another person."
"Right....."
 Hat Dude 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

What about the colour of the water for the women's event?

Tom Daley must've pissed in the pool the night before
 gribble 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

Synchronised diving could come into its own if some teams adopted my daughter's approach. If you're not going to win a medal and know it, leap off shouting 'cannonball' and scream all the way down. I'd watch it.
In reply to Alyson:
> I must admit I was thinking the same as I watched it. Don't get me wrong, I love the Olympics and I love seeing the results of peoples' commitment and dedication to their sport but at some point if you break down what they're training themselves for it starts to sound a bit comical.

You didn't really break it down in your little skit though.... unless 3 and a half somersaults without injuring yourself is quite normal for you.

It obviously takes a great deal of athleticism, skill, discipline and team work to do well, and some people find it entertaining. My girlfriend enjoyed it more than watching the OP drag Steve Backshall up a Tepui, horse for courses.
Post edited at 10:22
Graeme G 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> My girlfriend enjoyed it

It has Tom Dailey in it so that's not really a surprise

Alyson 10 Aug 2016

> It obviously takes a great deal of athleticism, skill, discipline and team work to do well, and some people find it entertaining.

Of course it does, and I enjoyed watching it for that reason.
Andy Gamisou 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:
Whilst I get your point, I suspect most leisure pursuits - or indeed anything - bare close scrutiny in this respect. I'm sure you must have had similar conversations about climbing with non climbers. I know I have.

"So you find a piece of rock, find a hard way up it, then find the easiest way to climb up that hard bit? And in so doing you might fall off and die. You do know you can just walk to the top from the back don't you?"
Etc etc etc.
Post edited at 11:18
 nufkin 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

> I'm pretty certain the underwater cameras are to catch them putting their boobs back in

Or to see when the men's teeny trunks come off. They're so small it hardly seems worth bothering with them at all
 Alyson 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Willi Crater:

> Whilst I get your point, I suspect most leisure pursuits - or indeed anything - bare close scrutiny in this respect. I'm sure you must have had similar conversations about climbing with non climbers. I know I have.

Yes but there are still distinctions to be made in terms of what constitutes sporting endeavour (leaving aside arguments about it all being futile - we start to get close to questioning the meaning of life it we go there). Who can run fastest, throw furthest, swim fastest, lift the heaviest weight - these are all reasonably pure tests of physical ability. Anything which involves getting a score from a panel of judges starts to stray from that. Where do you stop? Competitive yoga, where the contestants are scored on difficulty and execution? It's not that different from diving or gymnastics really. It's the performance element of the synchronized diving which slightly detracts for me (the same is true of many other Olympic disciplines) - right down to the suspiciously matching, uniform tans.

In fact, I have a bit of a problem with any swimming stroke which isn't crawl. It's the fastest! Butterfly stroke is like race-walking - artificially travelling slower. Weird.

Still love watching it all though!
 Alyson 10 Aug 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> Or to see when the men's teeny trunks come off. They're so small it hardly seems worth bothering with them at all

I think the trunks are mainly needed to help synchronize the tackle. What if they go for a back one and half somersaults in the straight position and their gentleman's sausages point in opposite directions? That's a potential points deduction right there.
 Trevers 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

> Yes but there are still distinctions to be made in terms of what constitutes sporting endeavour (leaving aside arguments about it all being futile - we start to get close to questioning the meaning of life it we go there). Who can run fastest, throw furthest, swim fastest, lift the heaviest weight - these are all reasonably pure tests of physical ability. Anything which involves getting a score from a panel of judges starts to stray from that. Where do you stop? Competitive yoga, where the contestants are scored on difficulty and execution? It's not that different from diving or gymnastics really. It's the performance element of the synchronized diving which slightly detracts for me (the same is true of many other Olympic disciplines) - right down to the suspiciously matching, uniform tans.

> In fact, I have a bit of a problem with any swimming stroke which isn't crawl. It's the fastest! Butterfly stroke is like race-walking - artificially travelling slower. Weird.

> Still love watching it all though!

How do you feel about the walking race?
 Alyson 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Trevers:

I love it, obviously. I think the Olympics should also include:

- 50m crawling race
- 400m hop
-100m walking handstand race
 Chris the Tall 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Swimmers get extra races for going forwards, backwards, forwards in a silly fashion etc, so why not runners

And seeing as we have horse dancing why not dog agility ?
 Trevers 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Surely there is a strong a case for Olympic sheepdog trials?
cb294 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

> ...Who can run fastest, throw furthest, swim fastest, lift the heaviest weight - these are all reasonably pure tests of physical ability. Anything which involves getting a score from a panel of judges starts to stray from that.

Really a difficult question. I have a big problem with any sport where judges score something like the "artistic" quality of a performance, such as all the figure skating events in the winter Olympics, regardless of the obvious physical skill that is also required.

However, one thing is missing from your list, and this is who beats whom. At least boxing and wrestling are as old as any sports events we know of.

Neither can do without a judge, and especially boxing has a big problem with the subjective nature of its scoring. Bit better in my sport, Judo, but still sometimes dodgy. For example, the Japanese light middleweight should have been penalized for passivity much earlier in yesterday´s bronze medal match. As it was, his Georgian opponent was forced to attack and lost.

CB

Alyson 10 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

All very true. I imagine the first Olympiad had some sort of wrestling or boxing, so there is a strong case for including them, even with the judging element.

Yes it's the 'artistic' part which is the sticking point. Why is ice dancing a sport but ballet dancing an art?

nufkin 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> Surely you can question the 'why' of dressage though?

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that there was a call for jousting to be added to the olympics. I'd happily see that replace the current equestrian events
 Robert Durran 10 Aug 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> I'm sure I read somewhere recently that there was a call for jousting to be added to the olympics. I'd happily see that replace the current equestrian events.

But all involve horses and so who wins will, to an extent, will depend on who has access or can afford the best horse. As such, all should be binned from the Olympics.
In reply to Alyson:

> I love it, obviously. I think the Olympics should also include:

> - 50m crawling race

> - 400m hop

> -100m walking handstand race

Egg and spoon race, sack race relay...

> But all involve horses and so who wins will, to an extent, will depend on who has access or can afford the best horse. As such, all should be binned from the Olympics.

And as an extension of that...ban the winter olympics. most of the world have no clue what that's all about
 malk 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

you haven't seen synchronised swimming yet then?
OP john arran 10 Aug 2016
In reply to malk:

Sadly, I have. It seems the Ministry of Silly Swims is impressively well connected at the IOC.
 Rob Parsons 10 Aug 2016

> But all involve horses and so who wins will, to an extent, will depend on who has access or can afford the best horse. As such, all should be binned from the Olympics.

Ban cycling events for the same reasons. And pole-vaulting. And ...
 nufkin 10 Aug 2016

> who wins will, to an extent, will depend on who has access or can afford the best horse

They only need one horse each - the IOC could provide them (with maybe a couple of extras to rotate to reduce fatigue). I'd have thought fitted plate armour and lances would be quite pricy, mind
 Robert Durran 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

> It seems the Ministry of Silly Swims is impressively well connected at the IOC.

Indeed. And by mastering several different silly swims it seems to be possible to win loads of gold medals, whereas there is only one gold medal for one silly walk. Not at all fair in my opinion.

Lemony 10 Aug 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> They only need one horse each - the IOC could provide them

This is the situation which provides one of the highlights of the games, the Modern Pentathlon horsey bit, where people who aren't full time riders, get on horses who don't want to be ridden by them and hope that between the two of them they can get round the showjumping without killing one another. It's excellent stuff.
In reply to john arran: Great diving from Laugher and Mears, in the mix.

Alyson 10 Aug 2016

Gold! Whoop!
 tim000 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

brilliant . great diving .
 tim000 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

bit harsh on the Mexicans though.
In reply to Alyson: Womderful Watersports Wednesday!

mountainbagger 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Queenie:

> True. The judo made interesting viewing, and the equestrian eventing was gripping.

I'd say the judo was gripping...and throwing.
 Rich W Parker 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Might be half a point depending on genetics/arousal/cold.
cb294 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

NOOOOO!!

Winter sports are great. On the contrary, we should play the football world championship in February in central Europe every now and then: White pitches, green lines, orange ball, what's not to like?

CN
cb294 10 Aug 2016
In reply to mountainbagger:

The quality of the Judo was generally a bit shit, at least in the rounds up to the quarters that I could watch before training starts. Had a good laugh, though, today. A guy I know from my competition times is now one of the national coaches. So if my wife thinks I have grown fat, I can show her what growing fat looks like in a pro....

CB
 WaterMonkey 10 Aug 2016
In reply to birdie num num:

> I'd like to get involved in a bit of synchronised MFF muff diving

Haha the people who disliked your post should own up so we know who doesn't have a sense of humour on here...
 Alyson 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:

I disliked it cos I don't know who this other F is in the scenario but she can do one, as far as I'm concerned.

(I didn't really)
 Big Ger 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

Synchronised climbing? Two climbers climbing identical routes at the same time. Marks given for style and grace, marks knocked off for using a hold slightly before or after your partner.

Maybe the routes could be done sight unseen?
 Babika 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

This is turning into a great medal day for all sorts of sports - canoe, judo, synchronised diving, shooting....
Just need Max Whitlock to,well, max out really.

Come on Max!!
 WaterMonkey 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

> I disliked it cos I don't know who this other F is in the scenario but she can do one, as far as I'm concerned.

> (I didn't really)

Come on, the more the merrier
 Deviant 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

Tom Daley and Dan Goodfellow, cutest couple in the Olympics !

Deviant 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Babika:

He did quite well

Not quite as cute as the aforementioned couple but still 'Olympic class' !
 Timmd 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

> While I've never been a fan, golf would seem to be a near-perfect expression of objective sporting endeavour compared to how well one can perform choreographed tricks while falling into water.

Think how much training it must take to just perform a dive with somersaults involved in the first place?

I think it's highly skilled.
Clauso 10 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

I rang my mate this morning, and we both agreed to throw a sickie and go fishing instead. Synchronised skiving.
OP john arran 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

> I think it's highly skilled.

Darcey Bussell is/was highly skilled.
Jim C 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Postmanpat:

Even some of their top players think golf is not an important Olympic sport. ( not worth competing in)
 Big Ger 11 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

I'm waiting on synchronised underwater unicycle horse-dance gymnastics becoming an olympic event.
 Rob Parsons 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> I'm waiting on synchronised underwater unicycle horse-dance gymnastics becoming an olympic event.

Well climbing got in - so synchronised underwater unicycle horse-dance gymnastics should have a good chance.

Thinking about gymnastics though: what a sport! The strength and agility on display in that event at the Olympics is just mind-boggling and, for me, very inspiring to watch. Not too long ago, seeing a crucifix done on the rings was a special event - but now some of the men are more-or-less directly pulling up into them. One-handed giant swings on the high bar etc. etc. - it's all just great to watch.
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Well climbing got in - so synchronised underwater unicycle horse-dance gymnastics should have a good chance.

> Thinking about gymnastics though: what a sport! The strength and agility on display in that event at the Olympics is just mind-boggling and, for me, very inspiring to watch. Not too long ago, seeing a crucifix done on the rings was a special event - but now some of the men are more-or-less directly pulling up into them. One-handed giant swings on the high bar etc. etc. - it's all just great to watch.

Your description of the attraction of watching gymnastics would suggest it has much more in common with circus performance than with Olympic sport. Where's the Citius - Altius - Fortius, escpecially compared to sport climbing, in which the faster - higher - stronger element is glaringly obvious.

That's not to say that top-level gymnastics isn't monumentally impressive, of course it is. And it can make great viewing too, which also is beside the point (at least ideologically.) Rather, it's impressive in a way that doesn't fit easily within the core Olympic model. It's very easy to confound physical and technical difficulty with appropriateness as an Olympic event or even as a sporting event at all (c.f. synchronised anything).
cb294 11 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

I think gymnastics must stay, first because of its long standing tradition, and second because the judging focuses on whether a competitor managed to execute specific moves requiring amazing physical skills (with the exception of the ground routines, especially in the women´s event, where scoring includes choreographic elements).

Less convinced about the diving. Just having judges should not matter, you need them in wrestling and boxing as well.

I am fine with including sport climbing, probably the best example of altius you can find!

What should go is disciplines where athletic skill is secondary (golf, shooting, archery despite its tradition, and horse riding, especially dressage) or where winning the Olympics is not the pinnacle of the sport (tennis, football). I would love to see ironman distance triathlon included.
 BarrySW19 11 Aug 2016
In reply to PPP:

> And yet climbers believe that crags will be full straight after 2020...

Well, I expect the indoor walls will be for a couple of weeks - just like at the start of January every year.
 Mike Stretford 11 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:
> Your description of the attraction of watching gymnastics would suggest it has much more in common with circus performance than with Olympic sport. Where's the Citius - Altius - Fortius, escpecially compared to sport climbing, in which the faster - higher - stronger element is glaringly obvious.

> That's not to say that top-level gymnastics isn't monumentally impressive, of course it is. And it can make great viewing too, which also is beside the point (at least ideologically.) Rather, it's impressive in a way that doesn't fit easily within the core Olympic model.

What 'core Olympic model' are you talking about? The phrase 'Citius, Altius, ,Fortius', was proposed by Pierre de Coubertin, considered the father of modern Olympics. He was one of the main organisers of the early modern Olympics, and gymnastics was included right from the start.

If you want the Olympics to change to something it never has been, fine, but it does seem an odd thing to get concerned about. Pretty mean too, you'd deny Laugher and Mears their moment in the limelight, for what?
Post edited at 11:24
 Chris the Tall 11 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

As impressive as the gymnastics is, it still come down to arbitrary judging. And this get's particularly dodgy on the female side where you get young girls in full make-up pouting and strutting for the judges.

If only there was some way you can apply those gymnastic skills - strength and agility - into to something that could be measured objectively....
 Babika 11 Aug 2016

> If only there was some way you can apply those gymnastic skills - strength and agility - into to something that could be measured objectively....

you have no soul

Removed User 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Jim C:

> Even some of their top players think golf is not an important Olympic sport

Golf isn't a sport at all.
 JJL 11 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

My problem with a lot of this stuff is the measurabiliy of it.
Run, jump, chuck something - all measurable.
My requirements for Olympic sport would be:
- definitively measurable (so, very very regrettably, no gymnastics)
- individual endeavour (sadly no relays , let alone the synchro nonsense or football)
- athleticism required (bye bye shooting and golf)
- human powered (flying horses to Brazil is bonkers)

Oh, and would have to be performed nude. Oiled obviously.

Climbing would not make the cut.
 climbwhenready 11 Aug 2016
In reply to JJL:

> Climbing would not make the cut.

Although it satisfies your preconditions.
Jim C 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> Golf isn't a sport at all.

Not the way I play it anyway, it is a punishment for me (and the course)
In reply to JJL:

Agree with 3 of your 4 conditions, but think there is room for some team activity, as long as we are talking small teams (maybe 4 or 5 max), as cooperation is a quality worth celebrating.

But can't see why climbing misses the cut, unless it's due to the requirement to be oiled.

> What 'core Olympic model' are you talking about? The phrase 'Citius, Altius, ,Fortius', was proposed by Pierre de Coubertin, considered the father of modern Olympics. He was one of the main organisers of the early modern Olympics, and gymnastics was included right from the start.

> If you want the Olympics to change to something it never has been, fine, but it does seem an odd thing to get concerned about. Pretty mean too, you'd deny Laugher and Mears their moment in the limelight, for what?

I don't have a problem with Gymnastics inclusion per se. Like others on here I only have a problem when winners are decided on intangibles, e.g. "artistic impression". If it was down to who could perform the most difficult gymnastic feats that would be great (and without knowing anything I would guess that would encapsulate the original spirit of the sport's inclusion), but if it's who can perform them with the most grace and poise?, sorry but for me that's no longer sport. I accept there needs to be some judging to determine whether a feat has actually been performed or not and that would be an inevitable grey area, but extra points for creative dance moves is an area much darker than grey.
 fred99 11 Aug 2016
In reply to climbwhenready:

> Although it satisfies your preconditions.

You try holding onto a hold when you're covered in oil - it'll be like climbing limestone in the rain.
 Rob Parsons 11 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

You are over-egging the pudding.

> ... If it was down to who could perform the most difficult gymnastic feats that would be great

That's more or less exactly how it's judged.

> (and without knowing anything I would guess that would encapsulate the original spirit of the sport's inclusion), but if it's who can perform them with the most grace and poise?

'Style' - or 'form' as it's known in gymnastics - has been an important part of the sport since day one: it is clearly more skilful to perform exactly the same moves with better style, since that implies more control. The climbing analogy would bewith one climber shaking his way up a route and almost falling off every move, and another who cruises the same route in good style. We both know who the 'better' climber would be.

Robert Durran 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> The climbing analogy would bewith one climber shaking his way up a route and almost falling off every move, and another who cruises the same route in good style. We both know who the 'better' climber would be.

The one who actually gets to the top?

There are plenty of climbers with shaky but effective climbing styles. Equally there are graceful but crap ones.

malk 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Synchronised climbing? Two climbers climbing identical routes at the same time. Marks given for style and grace, marks knocked off for using a hold slightly before or after your partner.

speed climbing finals are like this? (apart from style and grace)
 Rob Parsons 11 Aug 2016

> The one who actually gets to the top?

You didn't read: *both* of them get to the top.

JJL 11 Aug 2016

> Although it satisfies your preconditions.

Definitively measurable?
What's the S.I. Unit of climbing grades then?

Given that I'm in a pain-fuelled grump, I'm adding a fifth condition:
- reproducible
So you can measure a 400m track anywhere, but letting some arbitrary route setter say "9a" doesn't work. (Actually it's a backdoor way to get rid of sailing as an Olympic sport).
 JJL 11 Aug 2016
> Agree with 3 of your 4 conditions, but think there is room for some team activity, as long as we are talking small teams (maybe 4 or 5 max), as cooperation is a quality worth celebrating.

I so much want to agree as relays are fab... But your slippery slope to the dark side now starts with measuring a"quality worth celebrating".

So I don't.

Post edited at 16:03
In reply to JJL:

> - reproducible

> So you can measure a 400m track anywhere, but letting some arbitrary route setter say "9a" doesn't work. (Actually it's a backdoor way to get rid of sailing as an Olympic sport).

You're losing it now - all outdoor cycling events (road, MTB and BMX) are out, and all the proper events in the winter olympics would go.

Oh, and marathons would be 105 laps of the track
 JJL 11 Aug 2016

> You're losing it now - all outdoor cycling events (road, MTB and BMX) are out, and all the proper events in the winter olympics would go.

> Oh, and marathons would be 105 laps of the track

In what way would those be bad outcomes?

nufkin 11 Aug 2016

> all outdoor cycling events (road, MTB and BMX) are out

I might argue that, for road cycling at least, it should be out anyway - all the one-day classics, not to mention the Grand Tours, have more cache than the olympic race. Maybe the TT could stay
 Big Ger 11 Aug 2016
In reply to malk:

> Synchronised climbing? Two climbers climbing identical routes at the same time. Marks given for style and grace, marks knocked off for using a hold slightly before or after your partner.

> speed climbing finals are like this? (apart from style and grace)

2 people doing exactly the same climb in the same time in synchronisation as in synchronised diving?
In reply to nufkin:

For the men maybe, though certainly not 'all the one-day classics', possibly not even all the monuments.

For the women, does it get any bigger? Maybe the world's, mainly because you get to wear the rainbow stripes all year. Nothing like this sort of coverage at any other time.
 climbwhenready 12 Aug 2016
In reply to JJL:

You don't need to measure the routes, you need to measure the better climber - i.e. the one who who is capable of climbing a given route. How comps work.
 JJL 12 Aug 2016

So the same routes need to be set each olympics...
 eltankos 12 Aug 2016
In reply to john arran:

How will they measure which climber is having the most fun?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...