UKC

NEWS: Women's Nose-in-a-Day Solo Record Broken by Miranda Oakley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Aug 2016
El Capitan, 4 kbUS climber Miranda has broken the women's speed solo record on The Nose (5.9, C2) of El Capitan. Smashing the previous record of 24 hours and 39 minutes, Miranda's ascent took her under the 24-hour threshold - finishing with a time of 21 hours and 50 minutes.

Read more
 Chris Harris 10 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

"Nose in a day" record 24 hours and 39 minutes? I know things are bigger in the US, but I didn't realise their days are over 24 hrs......
 Toby_W 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

What is it they say about exam questions?

Beating her old time of 24 hours and 29 minutes with a new time of 21 hours and 50 minutes, less than a day I think?

Now I feel petty and dirty for pulling you up. Forgive me

Cheers

Toby
 Chris Harris 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Toby_W:

> Beating her old time of 24 hours and 29 minutes with a new time of 21 hours and 50 minutes, less than a day I think?

Indeed 21hr 50 is less than a day, but it says "Women's Nose-in-a-Day Solo Record Broken".

As it hadn't been done in a day before, there was no "in a day" record to break.

Yes, one has been set, but not broken.

GrahamD 10 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

I've sometimes wondered how it would feel as a punter on a trip of a lifetime trip to do the Nose in normal style, to be constantly overtaken by people using the route as a recetrack.
 Toby_W 10 Aug 2016
Have a like, that's me owned. Serves me right. (I blame the article)

Yes I remember being in Chamonix once and some American looking very Twight scampered past with a pair of old school walkman headphones on.

Cheers

Toby
Post edited at 15:04
cb294 10 Aug 2016

California days may have 25 hours, but in Texas they last 30! Shame their best climbing is bouldering....

CB
In reply to UKC News:
May I be the first on this thread to say "well done" rather than comment on other aspects of the report.
Post edited at 15:28
 Robert Durran 10 Aug 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> May I be the first on this thread to say "well done" rather than comment on other aspects of the report.

You may, but it would be a bit boring.
In reply to Robert Durran:
If 'boring' means recognising achievement then I am happy to stay boring.
 andrewmc 10 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

Presumably like someone doing their first VS/E1/whatever, only to have someone casually stroll past soloing the same route (or a harder adjacent route). Only bigger
 GrahamD 10 Aug 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

> Presumably like someone doing their first VS/E1/whatever, only to have someone casually stroll past soloing the same route (or a harder adjacent route). Only bigger

I don't think my first VS or E1s were really a trip of a lifetime though, and overtaking on those routes wouldn't have been a casual event

edinburgh_man 10 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

This is such a big achievement, having been up there the idea of rope soloing the nose is less than a day is so impressive. Miranda is a total wad, and super humble, I'm glad the NSAID went down to her, seems appropriate.
 timjones 10 Aug 2016

> Indeed 21hr 50 is less than a day, but it says "Women's Nose-in-a-Day Solo Record Broken".

> As it hadn't been done in a day before, there was no "in a day" record to break.

> Yes, one has been set, but not broken.

You'd have to be pretty mean to refuse to recognise a record breaking 24 hour 39 minutes single push ascent as being very much in the same spirit as a successful NIAD attempt
In reply to UKC News:

Very impressive to rope solo NIAD - and to set the record. Hats off!

(The magazine mistakenly left out the "rope" part)
In reply to UKC News:
Am I right in thinking that no-one has yet completed an unroped solo of a route on El Capitan? I guess the Nose is not a candidate with the King Swing.
 Chris Harris 10 Aug 2016
In reply to timjones:

> You'd have to be pretty mean to refuse to recognise a record breaking 24 hour 39 minutes single push ascent as being very much in the same spirit as a successful NIAD attempt

Soon we'll be saying that Roger Bannister wasn't the first person to run a sub 4 minute mile, on the grounds that the previous record was only just over the 4 mark, and very much in the spirit of a sub 4, particularly as nearly all of that mile was run in the first 4 minutes, with just a few yards after the 4 minute mark .....

Goucho 10 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Having done 4 routes on El Cap, and never managed any of them in less than 3 days - well ok North America Wall only actually took 2.5 days - I am always humbled and gob struck by anyone who can get up it in a day, and when done solo, I'm doubly humbled and gob struck.

Well done Miranda Oakley. That is one seriously bloody impressive piece of climbing
Not so much the King swing, as it can be avoided with a variation. The main reason to avoid soloing the Nose is the Great Roof an the Changing Corners Pitch. Consider that only 4 (Maybe 5?) people have actually free climbed it on a rope!

Freerider might be better? But hard slabby moves lower down? Would be interesting to hear what might be considered the best contender for anyone up to it?!

Either way, awesome effort from Miranda!!
Post edited at 23:04
 andrewmc 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Sir Stefan:

> Very impressive to rope solo NIAD - and to set the record. Hats off!

> (The magazine mistakenly left out the "rope" part)

In the context of Yosemite climbing, the 'rope' part is not necessary, and would probably be considered a bit of an anachronism?
 bensilvestre 11 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

When Pete and I tried to do the NIAD we were told by some americans that we were doing it the easy way. Which seems fair enough. Hauling looks shit!
 MikeTS 11 Aug 2016
> Indeed 21hr 50 is less than a day, but it says "Women's Nose-in-a-Day Solo Record Broken"

I think there should be a colon ( between 'day' and 'solo'.

In reply to andrewmcleod:

> In the context of Yosemite climbing, the 'rope' part is not necessary, and would probably be considered a bit of an anachronism?

We could have a long talk about that subject after the first bottle of whisky going on to the next.
 timjones 11 Aug 2016

> Soon we'll be saying that Roger Bannister wasn't the first person to run a sub 4 minute mile, on the grounds that the previous record was only just over the 4 mark, and very much in the spirit of a sub 4, particularly as nearly all of that mile was run in the first 4 minutes, with just a few yards after the 4 minute mark .....

Aren't arbitrary time barriers silly
 Toerag 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

> Not so much the King swing, as it can be avoided with a variation. The main reason to avoid soloing the Nose is the Great Roof an the Changing Corners Pitch. Consider that only 4 (Maybe 5?) people have actually free climbed it on a rope!
There's no reason why those pitches couldn't be aid soloed un-roped is there? (rather you than me though!)
 jon 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Didn't Honnold solo the nose as part of his triple link-up in about six hours? To achieve that he can't have used his rope on many pitches?
 Jubjab 11 Aug 2016
In reply to jon:

According to Honnold, there's really 2 issues with free soloing anything on El Cap. First, all routes are damn hard, and even the easiest ones include some very insecure parts, i.e. polished and slippery terrain where you don't feel secure no matter how you dial it. Second, preparing for a free solo ascent would be noticed immediately and there would be a huge interest and crowds making sure you would need to handle the pressure of the public in addition to the actual climbing. Alex seems to be more or less the only person not minding onlookers and film teams on his hard free solos, but even he seems to think it would be a bit too much if he tried it on El Cap.
 Chris Harris 11 Aug 2016
In reply to edinburgh_man:
> I'm glad the NSAID went down to her, seems appropriate.

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug? Is that allowed?
Post edited at 11:36
 jon 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Jubjab:

Well my reply was more addressing Toerag's comment about aid soloing un-roped than free soloing:

> There's no reason why those pitches couldn't be aid soloed un-roped is there?
 Ian Parsons 11 Aug 2016

> Am I right in thinking that no-one has yet completed an unroped solo of a route on El Capitan? >

Russ Mitrovich set a solo fastest time on Zodiac, carrying a rope but apparently only using it very briefly - reportedly for just a short section of one pitch; for the rest of the route he relied on the security(?) provided by two or three daisies clipped to whatever gear was reachable as he progressed. To recommend such a technique these days would be to invite the sky to fall in on one's head!

Ian Parsons 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Goucho:

> Having done 4 routes on El Cap, and never managed any of them in less than 3 days - well ok North America Wall only actually took 2.5 days - I am always humbled and gob struck by anyone who can get up it in a day, and when done solo, I'm doubly humbled and gob struck.

> Well done Miranda Oakley. That is one seriously bloody impressive piece of climbing

Couldn't agree more, Gouch - it's a colossal amount of focused activity to cram into 24 hours.

As a slight aside, how was NA Wall? It doesn't seem to be a route you hear about so much these days - apart from the El Nino option. 2.5 days may not be groundbreaking but it still sounds very respectable, especially if it was some time ago; when did you do it? I recall Nipper and Hans Doseth doing it in about that time in 1979 - or was it 3.5 days? Either way it was generally viewed as pretty quick. [I'm assuming, of course, that you're not Nipper!]
 jon 12 Aug 2016
In reply to bensilvestre:

> When Pete and I tried to do the NIAD we were told by some americans that we were doing it the easy way. Which seems fair enough. Hauling looks shit!

Tried? Does that mean you bailed or you went over the 24 hours? If the latter then you can claim NIAP.
 JJL 12 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

This title would have been much better as "Miranda Oakley breaks women's nose ..." And letting the column width truncation do its thing...

Ps. Well done
 David Coley 12 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> I've sometimes wondered how it would feel as a punter on a trip of a lifetime trip to do the Nose in normal style, to be constantly overtaken by people using the route as a recetrack.

Been there, done that. We even got lapped by one person; and overtaken on the last pitch by a couple who had done half dome in the morning.

See: http://www.coldmountainkit.com/knowledge/articles/349-el-cap-it-s-about-the...
 David Coley 12 Aug 2016

> "Nose in a day" record 24 hours and 39 minutes? I know things are bigger in the US, but I didn't realise their days are over 24 hrs......

To be fair to Miranda, this is kind of true. During her previous record run she dropped one of her jumars and had to jug on one with a grigri until she took mine at Camp 5. This lost her 39 minutes for sure.
 Chris Harris 12 Aug 2016
In reply to David Coley:

> To be fair to Miranda, this is kind of true. During her previous record run she dropped one of her jumars and had to jug on one with a grigri until she took mine at Camp 5. This lost her 39 minutes for sure.

I ran a sub 4 mile. Admittedly it took me 5 minutes, but I lost a shoe part way through & had to stop for a bit while I got another one.
 David Coley 17 Aug 2016

> I ran a sub 4 mile. Admittedly it took me 5 minutes, but I lost a shoe part way through & had to stop for a bit while I got another one.

Yep, just about it, if you had spent 1min 30secs waiting for the new shoe, some might well call it sub 4 mins, even if not true. (And you might well get a place in the British 1500m team.) I was just explaining some history on why many saw her previous run as in-a-day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...