UKC

Camera insurance with climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tk421 10 Aug 2016
Hey
Wondering what insurance people have. Ive read through the past posts and done an afternoons research without finding anything that really fits.
I need:

More than 60 days abroad at a time (so most home insurance policies don't work)
Coverage while climbing (so Aaduki and some others are out - termed a hazardous activity)
About 4k of camera kit (so normal travel insurance doesn't cover)
Would like accidental loss (photoguard don't do this)
I don't earn any income so don't need pro stuff
Unattended car (will often be camping and car will be where I store kit)

Currently hiscox business insurance seems the best, or "gadget insurance" type policies

Any advice?
Thanks a lot everyone
 jethro kiernan 10 Aug 2016
In reply to tk421:
Can't ofer any advice but interested in results, for home insurance M&S very good but as you have said not suitable for what you want..
 Cheese Monkey 10 Aug 2016
In reply to tk421:

I'm pretty sure most people in a similar situation would possibly be a bit loose with the truth if they did need to make a claim....
 Toerag 11 Aug 2016
In reply to tk421:

What about snowcard? they cover long trips, and you can set the value of 'techno' equipment you want the policy to cover.
OP tk421 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Toerag:

Cheers, snowcard limit tops out at 2k techno pack. I've checked with them.

On a separate note, have also called to check about one of their exclusions to the techno pack.
"Loss or damage to techno equipment whilst being used during an activity unless the equipment was designed for the intended purpose."
They didn't really know what this means and will email me back about it... could've been techno not covered while climbing or not.
 Toerag 11 Aug 2016
In reply to tk421:

Their latest policy wordings do seem less good than what they used to be. They don't seem to cover snowshoeing unless it involves ropes and crampons! I've gone with the BMC now they'll insure Guernsey people again.
In reply to tk421: Buy a cheaper camera?

Or, since you can afford £4 k for a hobby, just accept the risk? Clearly the loss of the camera will not be financially crippling, since it is:

a) Not required for you to earn a living (i.e. you're not a pro who needs their equipment)
b) presumably a lot less than your annual earnings should you need to replace.

Insurance is just throwing away money a lot of the time...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...