UKC

Leg realignment surgery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phil kujawa 11 Aug 2016
Just been offered this treatment are there any positive tales or horror stories out there !!!
Andrew Kin 11 Aug 2016
In reply to phil kujawa:

I had leg realignment surgey in december 2015. Considering the improvements i have (Never going to be classed as good) i would have taken this operation 10 times over rather than the other ops i have had . What exactly are they proposing?
OP phil kujawa 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Thelittlesthobo:

Hi
They said that I could try a unloader knee brace first from their orthotics dept before opting for the surgery I have already had a knee orthroscopy to remove a damaged meniscus, the details of which bone they would break were not discussed at this stage.
Thanks
 loundsy 11 Aug 2016
In reply to phil kujawa:
I'm one month post hto. This is the third knee op I've had. I've got no cartilage on the inside of my knee and was in lots of pain pre op. Too early to deem if it's a long term success yet but seemed preferable to a new knee which they weren't keen on doing. Make sure you talk it through with the surgeon, good luck.
I had an unloaded brace pre op also, it helped quite a by with general day to day stuff that hurt normally. I'd go for the op again, depends how bad it is now?
Tim
Post edited at 11:31
 loundsy 11 Aug 2016
How bad was it pre op and what differences did you notice post? How long before you started climbing again?
Tim

Andrew Kin 11 Aug 2016
In reply to phil kujawa:

Hi Phil,

I have one of them braces in my cupboard at home. Hated it and brought zero comfort for me. It was uncomfortable to wear for anything including brisk walks and it didnt aleviate the pain at all.

I backed off after this tbh. I just gave up for 6mths and put up with the pain. It was my consultant who chased me and asked why i hadnt been in for the follow up to discuss the benefits of the brace and the further op. I ended up being tag teamed by two consultants and promised the following

1) I can have a new knee if i want
2) They can do a Distal Femoral Osteotomy
3) If option 2 doesnt work then they can revert to option 1 and it will be much easier.

Their figures were as follows

75% chance of being able to return to sport (I played football but all i wanted was to be able to jog a bit and climb a bit)
25% chance of it being less painfull but not able to do sport

I took the offer and had the op in Mid December. My full rupture (Not a tear like some people call it) of the patella tendon was 10x worse and took much more to recover from. This was uncomfortable but i managed to get walking within a few weeks, by 6wks i was driving and by May i went to font (Watching, not climbing). At 6mths they signed me off that it had healed to an acceptable level and i must say that once the healing was over, the knee pain dissapeared. To the point if they asked me if i wanted it on the other knee (Since it snapped the arthritic pain dissapeared when the rebuilt it) i would take it. I am now slowly building up running, i can have a kick about with my son and i go climbing 1-2 x per week and the leg actually feel better after climbing.

Are you knock kneed or bow legged?

This guy is one of the best http://www.cumbriankneeclinic.co.uk/index.html

OP phil kujawa 11 Aug 2016

Hi
Bow legged
I used to run a lot but have got used to not doing any now I was easing off anyway as to many lads in the club my age were getting all sorts of other injuries associated with running !
Happy to bike and climb but with a lot less pain would be nice especially walking in to a crag .
Cheers
Andrew Kin 11 Aug 2016
In reply to loundsy:

Pre op it was as bad as it gets. I couldnt do a long walk without paying for it for 2-3 days later. Popping pills so that i was ready to have a play with the kids. Ice packs etc etc etc. I had nothing left on the outside of my knee. It looked like scrambled egg in there on my last Orthroscopy (I have had a few of them). The inside is like polished marble because of my knock knees that side is beautifly clean.

You can feel it now runs smoother. I cant do football and fast twisting and tunring is still off the agenda, but bouldering and climbing with all the control and strength is making massive improvements.
Andrew Kin 11 Aug 2016
In reply to phil kujawa:

You are the opposite to me then. You will have worn the inside of your knee out (Draw a line from your hips to your big toe and mine went through the outside of my knee, bow legged goes down the inside) which means, unfortunately for you its a opening up of the gap rather than mine which was taking a wedge out and closing it up to make me more bow legged. Yours i think takes a bit more time to heal as the bone needs to fill in the gap.

I biked 5000mls the year after i snapped the patella tendon on my right leg. Little wonder that it was my left that then became the issue and wore out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...