UKC

Olympic Velodrome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 11 Aug 2016
Great start to the Velodrome for the Brits.

A frighteningly quick world record marker put down by the Women's Pursuit team

And now - the Men's Team Sprint get Gold by the skin of their teeth breaking the Olympic record set by NZ in the second round (which they matched in the final)
 Shani 11 Aug 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Great night so far.
 elsewhere 11 Aug 2016
In reply to Shani:
A ridiculously good night.

Excellent start.
 veteye 12 Aug 2016
In reply to Christheclimber:

Victoria P says that a reasonable haul in the velodrome would be 5 Gold medals.
Is she putting the downers on our prospects now by saying that?
OP balmybaldwin 12 Aug 2016
In reply to veteye:

Hoy said 6 I think
 veteye 12 Aug 2016

Oh well if he has said that, then it must be true!
 Chris the Tall 12 Aug 2016
In reply to veteye:

GB are favourites in both Team Pursuits, but with the Kierin, Sprints and Omniums are much more unpredictable. Hoy reckons Kenny will emulate him and get a clean sweep, and Trott is favourite for the Omnium, but Cav and James are long shots. That said, the way Cav rode at the tour, I wouldn't write him off

I see the French are complaining already

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-games-french-confounded-by-british-...

"I have a inkling about certain things but I’m going to shut up because it’s not good to speak in the heat of the moment"
 abr1966 12 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Sour grapes....if they were 2/10ths of a second slower this wouldn't have been said! I hope it fuels the GB camp...
In reply to abr1966:

> Sour grapes....if they were 2/10ths of a second slower this wouldn't have been said! I hope it fuels the GB camp...

Definitely sour grapes, I'd forgotten about the "magic wheels" lol
 GrahamD 12 Aug 2016

We're not using round wheels again are we ?
 GrahamD 12 Aug 2016

Why was Callum Skinner wearing a different coloured helmet in the team sprint ?
In reply to veteye:

> Victoria P says that a reasonable haul in the velodrome would be 5 Gold medals.

> Is she putting the downers on our prospects now by saying that?

Chris Boardman says between 4 & 6 gold medals is what to expect!!!
 tim000 12 Aug 2016

> I see the French are complaining already

> "I have a inkling about certain things but I’m going to shut up because it’s not good to speak in the heat of the moment"

did the same at the last Olympics when kenny won the sprint.

Reports that Cav has thrown his toys out of the pram, refused to come to the velodrome and play his part as sub. Pretty poor show if true
 andy 12 Aug 2016

Jason Kenny and Callum Skinner. Blimey.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Aug 2016
In reply to andy:

> Jason Kenny and Callum Skinner. Blimey.

Especially Kenny.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Aug 2016

> Reports that Cav has thrown his toys out of the pram, refused to come to the velodrome and play his part as sub. Pretty poor show if true

He's just tweeted that it's bollocks.
 andy 12 Aug 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu: And now the team pursuit - WR. Woof!

Yanis Nayu 12 Aug 2016
In reply to andy:

Awesome. And to think a few months ago all the talk was about how mean Shane Sutton was.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

May I refer you to Mandy Rice Davies!

Thing is, it's that emotion, drive, selfishness and being slightly unhinged that makes him the great rider he is. Likewise Wiggins.

Meanwhile they've just broken the WR to make the final - woo hoo, just hope they haven't wasted too much energy, but I'll be suprised if they haven't got everything down to a plan
 Yanis Nayu 12 Aug 2016

> May I refer you to Mandy Rice Davies!

Of course!

> Thing is, it's that emotion, drive, selfishness and being slightly unhinged that makes him the great rider he is. Likewise Wiggins.

> Meanwhile they've just broken the WR to make the final - woo hoo, just hope they haven't wasted too much energy, but I'll be suprised if they haven't got everything down to a plan

In reply to GrahamD:

Not sure, but have noticed that some of them are wearing national and world colours on their helmets

Can someone explain how the reperchage will work, given that we are already starting off with 16 I.e a number that is an exponential of 2. And is exponential the right word ? 16 = 2 to the power 4

Ps I have been drinking and my brain hurts

Bloody hell I thought that gap had lost it for us. amazing stuff another WR

That was nail biting. Another world record for GB, brilliant.

Wow, what a race !!! Sneaky Aussies trying to catch us out
 Alyson 12 Aug 2016

Amazing race! Whew, I held my breath for most of that
 Yanis Nayu 12 Aug 2016

Brilliant. You can always rely on the Aussies to make a great sporting contest. That was so exciting.
 Yanis Nayu 12 Aug 2016

Great podium moves from Wiggo.
 GrahamD 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Great watch that was. But annoyed with BBC reporting as though that was Wiggo and three incidentals. I guess it happened when Redgrave was in a boat as well.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

It made me laugh when Redgrave kept muscling in and blocking the camera.
 Calvi 13 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

I noticed that in interviews Wiggins kepy saying MY team.
 Chris the Tall 13 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

I reckon the reporting has been fair, far better than Daley and Goodfellow. The four won gold, but only Wiggins has become the first Brit to win 8 medals, which is the bigger story. I suspect that far more people could name these 4 than the other team of 4 that won gold yesterday.
In reply to Calvi:

> I noticed that in interviews Wiggins kepy saying MY team.

To be fair, they do all ride for Team WIGGINS, though Doull is stepping up to Sky at the end of the season. The team was set up with the dual aim of building a team pursuit squad and giving them a pathway into the professional peleton.

Doing pretty well on both counts, though when Steven Burke laboured past me up the climb from Robin Hoods bay in last year's Tour De Yorkshire, a good 30 minutes behind the peleton, he didn't look like a double gold medalist!
 tim000 13 Aug 2016

I think Clancy ride for JTL - CONDOR
 Chris Harris 13 Aug 2016

Random thought: how many other events/sports are there where a team member can randomly drop out part way through the race, let his remaining mates finish the job, and still get the medal?

Indy 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

Track relay?
> how many other events/sports are there where a team member can randomly drop out part way through the race, let his remaining mates finish the job, and still get the medal?

tim000 13 Aug 2016

don't think they can just stop . they still have to finish . but the time is taken off the third rider
 Chris Harris 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

> Track relay?

I knew someone would say that, having not read my question.

I said "randomly". In track relay you drop out at a pre-ordained point - you have to, or you get disqualified. That is not "randomly dropping out". The same applies to swimming team medleys.

Mike Highbury 13 Aug 2016
> Random thought: how many other events/sports are there where a team member can randomly drop out part way through the race, let his remaining mates finish the job, and still get the medal?

Most team sports, I should think.
 FactorXXX 13 Aug 2016

Random thought: how many other events/sports are there where a team member can randomly drop out part way through the race, let his remaining mates finish the job, and still get the medal?

Any team sport with substitutes?
 Chris Harris 13 Aug 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Random thought: how many other events/sports are there where a team member can randomly drop out part way through the race, let his remaining mates finish the job, and still get the medal?

> Any team sport with substitutes?

Another one who didn't read the question. I said "let his remaining mates finish the job". That precludes substitution. Also, I said "randomly drop out". Substitution is always for a reason (so not random) , and usually not the player's choice (so being taken out, not dropping out).

I'm talking about the equivalent of a football player leaving the pitch voluntarily because he's tired, leaving the remaining 10 to play out the game.
 tim000 13 Aug 2016

> Another one who didn't read the question. I said "let his remaining mates finish the job". That precludes substitution. Also, I said "randomly drop out". Substitution is always for a reason (so not random) , and usually not the player's choice (so being taken out, not dropping out).

> I'm talking about the equivalent of a football player leaving the pitch voluntarily because he's tired, leaving the remaining 10 to play out the game.

but that's not the same . the rider still has to finish . the equivalant in football would be a player being tired and not being able to run as fast but still being on the pitch
 Chris Harris 13 Aug 2016
In reply to tim000:

Fair point. The equivalent of an exhausted player wandering slowly about doing nothing for the last 10 minutes. Or the entire England team, for 90 minutes.....

Maybe I should clarify further to restrict the question to sports where it's the norm/part of the rules.

Mike Highbury 13 Aug 2016
In reply to tim000:
> but that's not the same . the rider still has to finish . the equivalant in football would be a player being tired and not being able to run as fast but still being on the pitch

Which rider has to finish?
 wbo 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Calvi:

> I noticed that in interviews Wiggins kepy saying MY team.

I'd guess it pretty much is. And that's not a criticism of him.
 tim000 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

all of then . the last rider can slow down as the time is taken off the 3rd rider .
 john arran 13 Aug 2016

Apart from the slight inconvenience of your having used the words "race" and "medal" I would say: Mountaineering.
 john arran 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Indy:

... come to think of it Everest 53 has often been referred to as a race and I'd be surprised if any of the team, only 2 of whom summitted, didn't end up with medals!
 tim000 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

just checked the rules and it says the race ends when the 3rd rider crosses the line . so I was wrong , last rider doesn't need to finish . although in reality they probably would in the wind down.
 Chris Harris 13 Aug 2016
In reply to tim000:

> just checked the rules and it says the race ends when the 3rd rider crosses the line . so I was wrong , last rider doesn't need to finish . although in reality they probably would in the wind down.

Good point. Otherwise the front 3 would be looking over their shoulders after crossing the line, to check that #4 was still moving.
 Alyson 13 Aug 2016

What a race by our sprint women! Amazing effort and so controlled. New world record - well deserved.
 tim000 13 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

I think you mean team pursuit .we don't have a team sprint there . but yes , brilliant . and for becky james to get silver .
 Yanis Nayu 13 Aug 2016

Did anyone notice Brad nearly fall off his bike at the start of the TP when he tried to adjust his junk?
In reply to tim000:

Am I right in thinking that James will go again in the woman's sprint, and only Kenny in the Keirin ?
andymac 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Yes well done.

A fellow local cyclist knows Katy Archbald .she only took up cycling a few years ago and has come a long way .

Sure he said she first did a race for a laugh at a Highland Games.
 nufkin 14 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

> What a race by our sprint women!

Not 'ours', they're Bradley's
 andy 15 Aug 2016
> Am I right in thinking that James will go again in the woman's sprint, and only Kenny in the Keirin ?

Kenny and Matt Crampton I think.

EDIT: Maybe not - this says he's not going, but then lists him in the team:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/olympics/gb-cycling-team-olympic...
Post edited at 12:42
 The New NickB 15 Aug 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> Not 'ours', they're Bradley's

He does help pay the wages of at least one of them.
 andy 15 Aug 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Cracking impromptu interview from Cav after the kilo - interrupted Jill Douglas and Hoy mid-discussion.
 The New NickB 15 Aug 2016
In reply to andy:

> Cracking impromptu interview from Cav after the kilo - interrupted Jill Douglas and Hoy mid-discussion.

Yes, I enjoyed that. If he can go sub 13 on the flying lap, it will make things very interesting in the points race.
 abr1966 15 Aug 2016

What the hell was Cav doing!!
Gone for good 15 Aug 2016

Oh dear Cav. Silly mistake and could have serious consequences. I hope the injured rider is OK.
 Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2016

Well done Cav.

Hope the injured rider is ok.
Gone for good 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Great ride by Laura Trott. She is class.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Cav did well but what a mad race! Viviani was brilliant.
Laura Trott is going well and in first place.
Post edited at 22:49
 Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

> Great ride by Laura Trott. She is class.

In a class of her own by the look of it.
 Chris the Tall 15 Aug 2016

Laura Trott - 2 firsts and a second today, incredible performance. Just worry that if she is so far ahead the others would expect her to do all the chasing in the points race.

When the omnium was introduced there was widespread derision (sound familiar) but it's fascinating, so tactical and really exciting- esp the devil.

As to Cav, pleased to see him get a medal, but you can see his joy is slightly tempered by the colour. Viviani the worthy winner, but you know Cav will be thinking about his mistake in the devil - who knows how it would have played out. Pretty impressed that he knew what he needed to do at the end. As to the crash - suprised there is provision for a penalty, but it seems there isn't.
 GrahamD 16 Aug 2016

> Laura Trott - 2 firsts and a second today, incredible performance. Just worry that if she is so far ahead the others would expect her to do all the chasing in the points race.

Hopefully she can get far enough ahead to only have to mark one or two others. She is looking like a woman who is completely under control on the track right now - hugely impressive.
 Chris the Tall 16 Aug 2016

Reports that the columbians want Cav DQ-ed

http://road.cc/content/news/201080-colombian-federation-reportedly-set-chal...

Careless but clearly accidental, not like the open-water wrestling
OP balmybaldwin 16 Aug 2016

Not got a leg to stand on. The gold medallist went down, got up and won. Not sure how the crash the Colombian wasn't involved in effected him.

Yes Cav was careless, but if the Korean(?) had been looking forward instead of backwards he could easily have avoided it
 Dark-Cloud 16 Aug 2016

Racing incident, one person looking one way, one looking the other, nothing much more to it really ?
 tim000 16 Aug 2016

viviani did a similar move later in the race . nearly taking out the french rider.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Aug 2016

> Cav did well but what a mad race! Viviani was brilliant.

> Laura Trott is going well and in first place.

Laura Trott is AWESOME!
Gone for good 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

So is Becky James!
 elsewhere 16 Aug 2016
Jason Kenny shows who is boss in the kieran. Impressive.
 malk 16 Aug 2016
In reply to elsewhere:

not another different level performance...
 Yanis Nayu 16 Aug 2016

> So is Becky James!

Indeed. She's got a gorgeous smile too.
 Alyson 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Laura Trott is AWESOME!

Wow, what a dominant performance! Love that girl. Total hero.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Alyson:

Imagine what her and Jason Kenny's kids will be like?
 Tall Clare 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Can't imagine they'll need stabilisers on their bikes for long...

The New NickB 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Amazing team performance, every member of the track cycling team has now won a medal.

Utter dominance from Trott. The future Mr Trott isn't too bad either!
 Yanis Nayu 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Nice one.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
Now hopefully the icing on the British cycling team cake!
Post edited at 22:38
 toad 16 Aug 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin: I'm not sure chase the moped is any more sensible than horse dansing

squeaky bum time! lucky not to be dq'd
In reply to toad:

Well after all that, they can all race again. Come on JK...
 elsewhere 16 Aug 2016
Phew!
 The New NickB 16 Aug 2016
In reply to toad:

> I'm not sure chase the moped is any more sensible than horse dansing

Sensible, maybe not. More objectively measurable definitely.

ffs!

Here we go again!!
 abr1966 16 Aug 2016

Bloody hell....so tense!
 elsewhere 16 Aug 2016
Oh bugger. Not again!
 toad 16 Aug 2016
I'm not really getting this. It's absurd
In reply to toad:

Where's your sense of humour?
 toad 16 Aug 2016

Actually, a Kierin / dressage hybrid could be hilarious.
In reply to toad:

Very simple they have to follow the moped in line as it speeds up slowly to 50kph, with 2.5 laps to go it pulls off and they then race to the finish.

It is a bit weird tho
 elsewhere 16 Aug 2016
Somebody please shoot the man with the gun!
andymac 16 Aug 2016
Here comes the bellend on the electric bike .again.
Post edited at 23:02
In reply to andymac:

> Here comes at bellend on the electric bike .again.

Groundhog day
andymac 16 Aug 2016

He looks like Forrest gump

Boom!
andymac 16 Aug 2016

Wow.the boy can ride

Unbelievable!!!!
 elsewhere 16 Aug 2016
Now that was exciting!
In reply to andymac:

Fantastic ride, what a win.......
 toad 16 Aug 2016
Shake out and relaaax
 abr1966 16 Aug 2016
In reply to toad:

Awesome ride....what nerve and speed!!!
 elsewhere 16 Aug 2016
There's a funny mix of body shapes and sizes on the track for both the men and the women. Quite often the skinny one wins but sometimes it's the brick shitehouse who wins.
In reply to elsewhere:

yep quite interesting. I did a track session in the run up to 2012 at cardiff with Rebecca Romero and as we were kitting up the NZ women's pursuit team were finishing a training session. 2 of them had thighs like Jonah Lomu (at least as thick as my waist) but the third had skinny legs like me. they were quite an intimidating sight at full chat!
 Chris the Tall 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Imagine what her and Jason Kenny's kids will be like?

Can we delay the start of this state-sponsored breeding programme for at least 4 years ?

Actually I think we're going to need to set up a special academy for these kids, I can picture the classroom...

Up at the front is Kenny Trott-Kenny, keen as mustard, gold stars every week. And next to him the glamorous yet hard-working Rowan King-Rowe. Sat behind is James North-James, banging his head on his desk, or his knees, or the walls. And at the back is Phillip Varnish-Phillips, baseball cap on backwards, not very happy....

Meanwhile Dani Armitstead-Deignan is missing...again
 GrahamD 17 Aug 2016

Any time i've been on a bike ride of any length with a group of women, talk very rapidly seems to turn to the adverse effect its having on them below - breeding definately not on their radar. Might just be the effect I have of course...
 TeeBee 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Can't imagine they'll need stabilisers on their bikes for long...

They'll only be able to turn left though.
 Chris the Tall 17 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

A sensitive subject, tackled well in a recent article in CyclingUK (CTC) magazine, and here
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/aug/15/team-gb-cycling-saddle-s...

Road.cc unfortunately went for the clickbait http://road.cc/content/news/201239-no-brazilians-brazil-team-gb
 GrahamD 17 Aug 2016

That gels with the "old wives" remedies I've heard bandied about. I'll forward that on to MrsD who was slightly sceptical of me advising her to try to icrease saddle tilt.
 DaveHK 17 Aug 2016

> A sensitive subject, tackled well in a recent article in CyclingUK (CTC) magazine, and here

It's all about vaginal gains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...