UKC

Novice seeks climbing partners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cheds1989 15 Aug 2016
Hello everyone.

I'm relatively new to climbing (few indoor wall sessions) and I'm hoping to find a few people
on here willing to share some of their experience.

I've been wanting to join a fast track instructors course at Plas y Brenin in Wales which would include
the single pitch award. The course leader told me I should be able to get enough experience for it between now and January (A bit ambitious?) and I was skeptical after finding out you need 40 leads before assessment.

Some leads would be done during the course but I'm going to need a few outdoor trips to gain whatever experience I can.

I live in Blackpool and have a car so I wouldn't mind picking people up. I have all the gear - basic trad set and rope.

Even if it just involved observing for a time I wouldn't mind.

Any help would be most appreciated.

spenser 15 Aug 2016
In reply to cheds1989:

I would caution against doing instructor training (at least with the goal of instructing people) after only doing 40 leads, I picked up a lot doing my SPA training after leading something in the region of 500 pitches worth of trad both in the mountains, little inland crags and on sea cliffs and am not convinced you would fully absorb all of the information without a strong wealth of experience already.
Outside climbing walls all of the instructors I have previously had encounters with have been keen outdoor climbers with a vast wealth of experience and knowledge about climbing, its ethics, how it developed, problem solving and the outdoors in general, this knowledge beyond the safety aspects has always contributed significantly to the experience and without being immersed in climbing for a while you simply won't gain this knowledge.
Best of luck if you do decide to take the instructor route but I felt it was worth offering a note of caution.
cheds1989 15 Aug 2016
In reply to spenser:

I totally agree.

I was surprised she said it was achievable after such a short amount of time. The course would also include instructor awards for mountain leading and mountain biking which I'm quite experienced in but I really want to go into it as an
experienced climber as well. It might be best for me to put it on hold until then.

The problem is finding the opportunities to get out climbing.

Cheers.
 GrahamD 15 Aug 2016
In reply to cheds1989:

Have you looked towards local clubs ?
 spenser 15 Aug 2016
In reply to cheds1989:

As mentioned above, clubs are likely your best way, I've always been a big fan of clubs as it was how I got into climbing and learned to lead etc, I'm quite heavily involved with a local club in Derbyshire and have had some great days out with other members of the club.
cheds1989 15 Aug 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

I'll hopefully be joining my only local club but I believe they only get out once a week. Any chance to get out I'll take it.
Ta.
 Babika 15 Aug 2016
In reply to cheds1989:

If they're anything like our club, once you get known and folk are happy to climb with you you'll find all sorts of midweek climbers champing at the bit for a partner.

Its definitely the easiest and most reliable way to meet local climbers IMHO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...