UKC

Nikon D3300

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 16 Aug 2016
Can anyone offer any advice, pros and cons of the Nikon D3300. I'm looking for a decent camera to use in Nepal and am wondering if this is the one?
 MikeTS 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Gone for good:

I have a D5300. It is very good. Whatever you get, splurge on good lenses.
In reply to MiMikeTS:

That was the other question I was going to ask. The camera comes with a 18 -55 mil lens. What other all round lens would you recommend?
 Fraser 16 Aug 2016

How active are you going to be, what sort of photos will you try and shoot and have you considered a smaller more portable camera?
In reply to Fraser:

Moving through the mountains for roughly 25 days north of Thame in the Sagarmatha NP. Looking at landscape photography as well as random snapshots and some climbing action shots.
 MikeTS 16 Aug 2016
The kit 18-55 is pretty good, Usually they throw in the 55-200 vrII, which is excellent for the price. (Note both are plastic, a bit fragile and not waterproof, so look after them in Nepal) The 1.8 35 mm is amazing quality for the money - this would be OK for landscapes. Also consider a small tripod to rest on rocks, and a polarising filter. Take care of white balance - it tripped me up when I was in Nepal. Another thing: spare, charged up, batteries - I found cheap ones that worked fine on AliExpress.
Post edited at 20:37
In reply to MikeTS:

Thanks! I checked out the lens and you're right...it does look good value.
 The Lemming 16 Aug 2016

If you can splash the cash then, I too would say, buy something better than the kit lens which comes with the camera.

Nothing wrong with the kit lens, however there many improvements to be had with better glass. The first improvement could image quality, depending on choice of lens and another could be better light gathering capabilities with larger apertures.

Bang for bucks, I'd recommend a lens made by Sigma such as this one
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-os-hsm

Absolutely love mine. Perfect size, weight, and with enough punch to take some decent shots.
 MikeTS 17 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
What is your view on not getting full frame lenses for APC?
 The Lemming 17 Aug 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

> What is your view on not getting full frame lenses for APC?

Sorry, don't understand the question.

I did not realise that a Nikon D3300 was a full frame sensor.

My bad.
 MikeTS 17 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

No the opposite. Whether if you do not have a full frame, you should stick to lenses optimised for the smaller format?
 The Lemming 17 Aug 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

> No the opposite. Whether if you do not have a full frame, you should stick to lenses optimised for the smaller format?

I completely agree with you that you should stick to lenses optimised for smaller formats.

Which confuses me. What have I said or done wrong?

MikeTS 17 Aug 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Sorry, absolutely nothing. I was asking the question for me, since I know from this forum that you give good advice and I am looking at lenses. Thank you!
 The Lemming 17 Aug 2016
In reply to MikeTS:

You're welcome.

I thought I'd said something wrong. That's the problem with a text only environment, confusion builds up.

If you are a Nikon fanboy then Nikon lenses are great for their cameras.

However with my limited pocket money and a beady-eyed better half, then I have to be careful what toys I buy with what I think I can get away with before I end up on the wrong end of a thick ear.

This means, for me, at the budget end of camera lenses then Third Party manufacturers have to go the extra mile in quality and workmanship to compete with the perception built up around a brand name. And, Nikon is a reputable and big brand name.

Perception almost always exceeds the quality of goods on offer at the lower price point.

From my own personal experience of buying budget Nikon lenses and Third Party lenses like sigma, then I have always been extremely happy with my Sigma purchases. I have not been so content with my budget Nikon lenses. That is not to say that Nikon's premium lenses are the same, its just that they are out of my price range.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...