UKC

Replacement Karrimor Alpinist 65

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pyreneenemec 17 Aug 2016
My Karrimor Alpinist 65 bought in 1992 ( lovely purple colour) is starting to fall apart and the time has come to find a replacement. I was out with it last week, the loaded sack weighed about 13 kgs containing such necessities as two 50 cl cans of Grimbergen and a Perrier bottle filled with a decent rosé plus tent , mat etc etc. It's no longer very comfortable on my back and carrying that weight up 1200m is a killer, but when I think of all that we have done together ( sheds a tear).

I think my tough mountaineering days are over , due to injury but I still enjoy long mountain days with a bivvy. I also like my comfort and don't mind carrying a heavy sack for 3/4 hours. I'd prefer a slightly heavier more robust sack than a flimsy lightweight thing that it going to rip open. The Alpinist 65 has a lid but was very stable for climbing with the lid inside the sack.

alasdair19 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Pyreneenemec:
I borrowed one from my dad and walked a long way in discomfort so try a few ! macpac still.seem.pretty tough. an aiguille from the lakes will probably last that long. sadly pod have disappeared.

George Fisher 17 Aug 2016

Aiguille Alpine Verte.

Aiguille have a new website with great photos and some good advise pages about lightweight packs.

OP Pyreneenemec 17 Aug 2016
In reply to George Fisher:

Thanks for that AND made in England !

And Adrian is a really nice bloke who knows his stuff.
OP Pyreneenemec 17 Aug 2016
In reply to George Fisher:

> And Adrian is a really nice bloke who knows his stuff.

Perhaps you could arrange a decent discount

Sadly I have no way of arranging a discount, anymore than you could for me.

I've just bought a couple of packs and been very happy with the company and product. As a fellow small UK gear manufacturer I like to try and spread the word about them.
 Xharlie 17 Aug 2016

Here in Germany and in Austria, one sees a *lot* of Deuter packs. I had a big 65 or 75 litre one in South Africa and it was very nicely made and very well thought out and very comfortable but also ridiculously heavy.

I now have an Osprey (65, I think) and it's pretty cool. It weighs a lot less but isn't as well thought out as my old Deuter - there's just something about the Osprey that doesn't quite "work" - I can't put my finger on it.

My moderate pack is by Black Diamond and it's incredible - certainly the best pack I have ever had. It's also the one that has sustained the most abuse and it keeps going - I think it has some holes in the side pockets, it smells like old climbing shoes and it looks like it has been dragged through every underground station in London but it is still the most comfortable thing I have ever carried.
 danm 17 Aug 2016

If you want a bomber pack then Aiguille really are the dog's bollocks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...