UKC

Peak climbing tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ChrisBrooke 17 Aug 2016
I'm heading out in a bit. From the looks of the wind speed and direction the grit is going to be midge hell. Which leaves me with a big-ish drive to Ravensdale, medium drive to Stoney, or god-forbid Horseshoe, looking like the best options. I climbed on the Windy Ledge a few weeks back (already well into midge time) with no problems.

Any recent beta on the state of the midge on Peak limestone?
 Si dH 17 Aug 2016
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

I was out in blackwell dale last night and didn't see any. Midge problems are very rare generally on peak lime.
OP ChrisBrooke 17 Aug 2016
In reply to Si dH:

Ta. Went and had a nice couple of hours at Horseshoe. First time there and enjoyed it. Midges not a problem!
 mrphilipoldham 17 Aug 2016
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

No problem with midges today at Froggatt, flying ants on the other hand...!
 TobyA 18 Aug 2016
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> No problem with midges today at Froggatt, flying ants on the other hand...!

Yep, it was that day at Stanage too. Fascinating if a bit yucky. Midge were about at the bottom but good breeze at the top. Soloing so not much of a problem.
 deacondeacon 18 Aug 2016
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Went and had a nice couple of hours at Horseshoe. First time there and enjoyed it.

Every time I go to Horseshoe (we were also there last night) I'm always surprised that although it's a shitty quarry that looks like it's going to kill you there are lots of nice walk climbs on good solid rock.

I'd definitely recommend Stoney West round the corner too. A nicer venue with similar grades

OP ChrisBrooke 18 Aug 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:
Ah. I may have said hello and asked what route you were on to help get my bearings My mate and I actually really enjoyed it. I don't do much sport, but it seemed like a great option for when the wind is from the East.
Post edited at 09:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...