UKC

New Depot wall location ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lummox 18 Aug 2016
Anyone got any idea where this might be ?
 Andy Johnson 18 Aug 2016
In reply to lummox:
Assuming you mean the one in Manchester, address and map are on their web site. Go to theclimbingdepot.co.uk, click on Manchester, and scroll to the bottom. (For some reason, UKC won't let me put direct web links in a message.)

Busses from Manchester Piccadilly (X50 and 250) take about 30 minutes. I don't think there is a car park - I parked in the street outside.
Post edited at 09:04
 galpinos 18 Aug 2016
In reply to andyjohnson0:

Car park outside the Depot in Manchester? There's loads of parking spaces and it's on an industrial estate so there's plenty of on road parking.
OP lummox 18 Aug 2016
In reply to galpinos:

sorry all- not the Manchester one. Word on the grapevine is that they're opening a new wall. I wondered if anyone had heard any more ?
 Ally Smith 18 Aug 2016
In reply to andyjohnson0:

Pretty sure the OP is on about this:

https://www.facebook.com/depotleeds/photos/a.680013425459459.1073741835.518...

Not the Manchester one
 RyanOsborne 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Ally Smith:

Looks like Birmingham then.
 planetmarshall 19 Aug 2016
In reply to lummox:

One on the East side of Manchester would be nice - From Buxton I can get to the Works in less time... might be pushing it, though. We probably have enough indoor climbing in the area.
 Misha 20 Aug 2016
In reply to lummox:
They're mad. There isn't a market in Birmingham for another wall.
 gaz_jones 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Misha:

Boulder Central is up for sale in West Brom if you mean that one?
 climbingpixie 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Misha:

I'm sure there will be room if the wall is good enough. I visited quite a lot of the local walls for bouldering while I was working away in Worcester and wasn't impressed by the quality on offer. It made me realise how lucky I am to live in Leeds and to have the Depot down the road from my house.
 The Grist 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Misha:
You would probably be surprised. I would have said the same when they opened the depot in Manchester but they basically expanded an existing market and seem to have done very well.
 Misha 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Mark Grist:
Birmingham isn't Manchester though.
 Misha 21 Aug 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:
Did you go to Birmingham Bouldering Centre? That's very good and it's where people tend to go for bouldering.
 Misha 21 Aug 2016
In reply to gaz_jones:
Saw that, I think that's unrelated but time will tell. Never been there, seeing as West Brom is actually quite far from where I live in central Birmingham.
 The Grist 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Misha:
What was amazing was I thought I would recognise all the climbers in Manchester having lived here and gone to the walls for 12 years. Then the depot opened and all these people turned up I had never seen before at any of the other walls. It is like they were just doing pull ups in their lounge waiting for the depot to open.
 stp 02 Sep 2016
In reply to lummox:

I overheard someone at the wall say they're opening one in Sheffield.
 climbingpixie 02 Sep 2016
In reply to Misha:

Sorry, missed this reply. Yeah, I went to BBC and it's definitely the best of the walls in the area. I didn't think the setting was as good as the Depot though (but maybe that's my home bias) and the central Brum location meant it was a bit of a ballache to get to and park at unfortunately.

If Leeds can support 3 dedicated bouldering walls and a climbing wall I'm sure Birmingham can cope with another wall.
 climbingpixie 02 Sep 2016
In reply to stp:

I wouldn't be surprised and I think it would do well. I used to think the Works was great but the last few times I've been I've left feeling like it could do with a bit of TLC. Cleaner holds and better lighting would help as a start, though I've not been for a while so that might have improved. But if any city could cope with another bouldering wall you'd think Sheffield could!
In reply to Mark Grist:

> Then the depot opened and all these people turned up I had never seen before at any of the other walls. It is like they were just doing pull ups in their lounge waiting for the depot to open.

The same thing happened in Nottingham.

stp 03 Sep 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:

I think the problem with Sheffield is finding a good location. I believe it tooks the Works team several years to find one.

The Works also had a bit of a major upgrade with some new angles here and there just a couple of months ago. The holds get dirty just because of the popularity of the place. The circuits are actually replaced pretty regularly. You're probably right about the lighting though. That can make a big difference to the atmosphere of somewhere. I usually go during the daylight hours though so don't notice it that much and also avoid the evening crowds. Overall though I'm a big fan of the place, the route setting is some of the best anywhere, with unusual and creative problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...