UKC

Which whiskeys for my wedding?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 edunn 18 Aug 2016
Inspired by another whiskey thread this morning, which four whiskies would you put behind the bar if you had your wedding in a few weeks time.

Budget at around £200, but happy with less.

Here's my starter for 10:

- Cragganmore, distillers edition
- Yamazaki 12
- Springbank 15
- Caol Isla Moch

The floor is open . . . .
In reply to edunn: If you want a very good one at about £45 you have to have Ardbeg. Don't know much else about whiskeys apart from the ones I like.

subtle 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:
Jura Superstition
Highland Park
Bells/Grouse/Black Bottle

have a good wedding!
Post edited at 10:39
 jkarran 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

What do you want to achieve by your purchases, do you want old familiar favorites, special editions or something that'll be totally new to most of your guests?
jk
 Toccata 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

Aberlour A'Bunadh (with spring water as it's cask strength)
Glenfarclas 15
Inchgower 14y Flora and Fauna
Lagavulin 16 or stick with the Springbank on your list.

I did this at our wedding too and I wrote tasting notes which really got people interested. Unless you have a particularly whisky-loving family, I steer away from being heavy on peat as most people aren't too keen.
 LastBoyScout 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

Aberlour A'bunadh and a very nice Balvenie (think doublewood - matured in sherry casks) were what I got given at my wedding.

Both around £40 a bottle.

I'd also add Bowmore Surf and a Glenmorangie, possibly Cellar 13.
KevinD 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

some cheap shit so i can keep the good stuff for me.
Short of that:
Highland Park
one of the Balvenies
Probably a Talisker
Then something like a decent Jamesons or Tullamore dew to mix things up a bit.

The Lemming 18 Aug 2016
In reply to KevinD:

> some cheap shit so i can keep the good stuff for me.

>

Wot he said.

Keep a good bottle or two as most guests will be blotto.

drgrange 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

Amazing value for money sherry monster:
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/aberlour/aberlour-a-bunadh-batch-55-w...
Fantastic value again. Smokey but not OTT
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ardbeg/ardbeg-uigeadail-whisky/
This is delicious as is all Glenfarclas. A good one for the masses as it wont blow your head off
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glenfarclas/glenfarclas-15-year-old-w...
Very easy drinking that even non whisky fans love. Yum!
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/benriach/benriach-16-year-old-whisky/...

Hope you have a great wedding
 WaterMonkey 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

All the best for your wedding.

Just a small point, something I only learnt a few weeks ago, Apparently Whiskey is Irish and Whisky is Scottish.
OP edunn 18 Aug 2016
In reply to jkarran:

Just nice whiskies really. There are a few proficient whisky drinkers at the wedding, so something there for them to appreciate (something classic + something unexpected) and then one or two other nice ones for the occasional drinkers to try and appreciate.

I'll have bells available over with the coke and lemonade.
 nathan79 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

A couple of Speysides for general enjoyment such as Aberlour 10yo and Royal Lochnagar 10yo.

Satisfy the connoisseurs with something like Ardbeg Uigeadal (as someone already suggested) and Balblair 99.

Nowt better at a wedding than a good dram. Me, my kilt and my hip flask are off to Oregon for a wedding next week and I eagerly await both my airport purchase and what drams the groom has lined up for us.
 AP Melbourne 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

Of f*ck me, this has 'ends in tears' written all over it ... ...
Best for the wedding though edunn. Say the vows then get the heck out of there before the rellies start punching on!
PS. Leave plenty of soft drinks too - extra Coke (ahem, sniff) and Lemonade.
Grabs coat again. Sorry.
Hope you both enjoy the big day and live happily ever after.

colinakmc 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

My personal choices: Laphroaig Quarter Cask; Ardbeg (any Ardbeg); Glenlivet 15 year old; and any old crappy cooking whisky for anyone who is going to put lemonade or coke in it.
That might leave you enough dosh for a bottle of 18 year old Bunnahabhain to hide for later.

Have a great wedding but beware of distillers droop....
 Philip 18 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

You asked for Whiskeys not Whiskies. So presumably you only want Irish or American.
 Big Ger 19 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

A touch of sawdust and earthiness, sweet treacle sweets and quality street toffee pennies hints of fruits and vanilla essence with caramel shortcake. Toffee pennies and vanilla sauce, tinned fruits hints of dried wood chips with a smidge of spice -

See more at: http://www.tomswhiskyreviews.com/review.php?articleid=1499#sthash.aUUVrZZp....
Post edited at 01:13
 aln 19 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

If you want the best for your guests it has to be Kavalan.
 Toccata 19 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

> If you want the best for your guests it has to be Kavalan.

I have tasted my way through a few Kavalan now, including the champion Solist Vinho Barrique, and I am baffled as to why this is so highly regarded. Almost all have the solvent-bubblegum of young malt which was so prominent in the SVB that I would consider it a fault. The ageing was clumsy and the overall impression was of trying too hard with a poor base malt.
 aln 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Toccata:

I've never tried it, interesting to hear from someone who has.
 Toccata 19 Aug 2016
In reply to aln:

Believe me, I really wanted it to be brilliant. I can see why it stands out in tastings but there are far better whiskies from Asia.
In reply to Toccata:

Only had one Kavalan, tasted like a mediocre Amrut - I am rather fond of their range - the Fusion, Two Continents, single bourbon casks, and the cask strength. Not exactly subtle but tremendous "bang for your buck" - an antidote to the massive escalation in the price of Japanese whiskies (and phasing out of many of the age statemented ones for NAS).
 icnoble 26 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

Your choice is excellent, I would add Highland Park.
 David Alcock 26 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

If we're talking about mix of normal and fancy... I think this will still break the budget... Laphroaig for the Islay heads, Ardbeg for the NHS types (iodine), Talisker for them wot don't know a nice malt, and Macallan 84 for them that do.
 Jimbo C 26 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

Lagavullin 16
Jura Origin 10 (swayed becasue I've just had a lovely wee dram of it)
Oban 14
Bruichladdich (Classic)

Bit of change from £200 to boot
 climb41 27 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

> Inspired by another whiskey thread this morning, which four whiskies would you put behind the bar if you had your wedding in a few weeks time.

> Budget at around £200, but happy with less.

> Here's my starter for 10:

> - Cragganmore, distillers edition

> - Yamazaki 12

> - Springbank 15

> - Caol Isla Moch

> The floor is open . . . .

That's a lovely selection. I would love to go to a wedding that offered these as drinks.

In reply to climb41:

> That's a lovely selection. I would love to go to a wedding that offered these as drinks.

Only problem is that Yamazaki 12 has been discontinued - remaining stock is changing hands for around £100 per bottle. It's been replacced with with a NAS version.
 Roadrunner5 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Toccata:

> I have tasted my way through a few Kavalan now, including the champion Solist Vinho Barrique, and I am baffled as to why this is so highly regarded.

I'm always amazed why people like different things too... Last week I discovered not everyone is a United fan.. Baffled!

The great thing about whiskey and whisky is the range of tastes on offer. The Japanese, Scottish, Irish, American and many others are all different, never mind the difference within each of those countries. Why should that surprise you?

I'd just go for a range, just work from E > W.. I'd pick a speyside and an Islay and then something else but whatever you chose someone wont be happy..
 Siward 29 Aug 2016
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

I remain wary of the raft of whiskys out these days with no age statement. Smacks of marketing and cutting corners to me. Back in the day a single malt was expected (by me anyway!) to be 12 years old plus and proudly proclaim that fact on the label.
 Dave 88 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Siward:

Agreed. Went on the Glenlivet tour last year and they were trying to promote the taste benefits of their new NAS Founders Reserve which has replaced their standard 12yo. The stuff was absolute swill!
 Rog Wilko 29 Aug 2016
In reply to WaterMonkey:

> All the best for your wedding.

> Just a small point, something I only learnt a few weeks ago, Apparently Whiskey is Irish and Whisky is Scottish.

He got the plural right though! BTW, isn't the one without an e scotch?
Full of pitfalls, this subject, especially if you've sampled a few first. ;O))
In reply to Siward:

> I remain wary of the raft of whiskys out these days with no age statement. Smacks of marketing and cutting corners to me. Back in the day a single malt was expected (by me anyway!) to be 12 years old plus and proudly proclaim that fact on the label.

I have no problem with whiskies under 12 y.o. Many, particularly Islay malts, are very good young (or at least with some young spirit in them) - the various Kilkerran "Work in Progress", various Ardbegs, Kilchoman, Port Charlotte, lots of Bruichladdichs - all have merits of their own that might be lessened by adding older spirit just for a spurious age statement.

But the replacement of classic malts like Glenlivet 12 etc, and pretty much every Japanese whisky of late, makes me sad... and I particularly dislike it when the new variant is sold for the same price with a corny pseudo-Celtic name to make it seem more traditional.
 nathan79 29 Aug 2016
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

Likewise I have no problem with younger whiskies, I just wish they'd label them with the age rather than some randomness name. I've had very nice 8 and 9 year olds via Gordon & McPhail bottlings.
 dsh 30 Aug 2016
In reply to colinakmc:

> My personal choices: Laphroaig Quarter Cask;

Agreed, more refined than the 10 year in my opinion, although they're both delicious.
 Cerris90 30 Aug 2016
In reply to edunn:

Highland park svein. Any of the limited bottles are amazing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...