UKC

Kilian Jornet -Gets ready for Everest in a day from Rongbuk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 L.A. 18 Aug 2016

Interesting report on his preparations for a try at up and down Everest in a day via Norton or Horbein couloir.

http://www.barrabes.co.uk/blog/news/2-84/kilian-jornet-takes-on-everest.htm...

Had`nt realised that he`d done a double ascent/descent of Mont Blanc in under 12 hrs this year........Ah well. Grit, whats he ever done on grit ?
Post edited at 14:38
Removed User 18 Aug 2016
In reply to L.A.:

Fast walking?
 Jim 1003 18 Aug 2016
In reply to L.A.:
> Interesting report on his preparations for a try at up and down Everest in a day via Norton or Horbein couloir.

> Had`nt realised that he`d done a double ascent/descent of Mont Blanc in under 12 hrs this year........Ah well. Grit, whats he ever done on grit ?

Don't know what he's done on grit, but he didn't do too well on the Frendo Spur when he was rescued and criticised severely by the PGHM...
Post edited at 15:03
 planetmarshall 18 Aug 2016
In reply to L.A.:

This seems a bit old hat, surely? Krzysztof Wielicki did a 1 day ascent of Broad Peak back in 1984. Over 30 years ago.
In reply to L.A.:

I wonder how many of the 8000ers that have been climbed in less than a day.
 Damo 20 Aug 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> This seems a bit old hat, surely? Krzysztof Wielicki did a 1 day ascent of Broad Peak back in 1984. Over 30 years ago.

Wielicki was amazing, but it's important to compare apples with apples.

The closest to what Jornet is trying was done by Loretan and Troillet in Aug 1986 (one of the very few similar 'summer' climbs) when they went up the Hornbein/Super Couloir in 38hrs and slid down in 3hrs. But they started from a bivi at the bottom of the face, around 6000m. Jornet is planning to run from the very start, at Rongbuk, around 15-20km all the way up the glacier to the bottom of the face and keep going up. Nothing like this has been done on Everest.

Wielicki's BP climb was done from a closer camp, up a route that had had traffic on it, to a summit 800m lower than Everest's summit. It's the last few hundred metres, above 8500 or so, that really slow down climbers trying to go light and without bottled O2. There have been several climbers get high on the north face of Everest, over 8300m, going light with no O2, but they've nearly all turned back, just going too slow, too cold, all too hard. In 1987 Pierre Beghin and Fernando Garrido turned back at 8700m!

Most of the very fast one day 8000er climbs have been done on booted tracks, sometimes with fixed ropes (such as Benoit Chamoux's 23hr K2 climb) and other support. G2, Shishapangma, Lhotse, Everest north ridge etc have all been climbed like this.
 alasdair19 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Damo:

thanks for that Damo, sounds like they're trying something pretty special.
 Siward 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Sir Stefan:

Next summer I'm going to attempt all of the 8000ers in a day.

I'll set up a 'just giving' page after the New Year obviously
 CAB 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Siward:

Wow, go for it! It would be very hard, but nothing's impossible. As training before you go, you could do all the Munros in a day.
In reply to Siward:

I was half expecting a response like that. I guess you are winning ... that old hat.
 Mr Fuller 20 Aug 2016
In reply to L.A.:

He's worth following on Strava to get an idea about the sheer amount of ascent he packs into every week of training. Also, some of the days out he did this summer that weren't advertised were still pretty staggering. He did Mont Blanc via the Frendo and Kuffner from valley to valley with no lifts in 12 hours, for example... https://www.strava.com/activities/637213238

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...