UKC

Alpine style sacs re visited

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kennethcooke 19 Aug 2016
I recently posted here a link to a company producing early examples of Karrimor climbing sacs here in the UK and I have since discovered a Colorado based company who now produces fine early examples of early Karrimor and Chouinard Alpine sacs of a similar design to those available in the 60's through to the 80's. These beefed up versions of popular models from those heady days are really very interesting and worth looking at

http://www.alpineluddites.com/backpacks/
 George Fisher 19 Aug 2016
In reply to kennethcooke:

Even better, go to Ouray Colarado where John has his shop and makes the packs. Pick out a new pack and spend a week climbing endless ice in Ouray Ice Park while John builds it for you.

John is a true enthusiast and nice bloke.

nniff 19 Aug 2016

$600 for an Alpiniste! Strewth! Still the best rucksack I've ever had though
 john campbell 19 Aug 2016

> I recently posted here a link to a company producing early examples of Karrimor climbing sacs here in the UK and I have since discovered a Colorado based company who now produces fine early examples of early Karrimor and Chouinard Alpine sacs of a similar design to those available in the 60's through to the 80's. These beefed up versions of popular models from those heady days are really very interesting and worth looking at

Thanks Kenneth.

While I have some of the old Karrimors on my site it's fairly straightforward to build almost any of the old models. many of the same patterns were used on different packs. for example every climbing sac has the same back panel. I also have a number of the old catalogs to get the details correct. of course i can custom fit anyone, despite many of the originals just being one size.

I have a good number of the originals in my shop.

i keep wanting to add more styles to the website but i primarily sell Pinnacles and Alpinistes. I keep thinking I'll add the original Whillans Alpinist in Canvas/leather once i find a source for the shoulder harness, leather/wool felt.

I realize the cost is more than asian made gear but not much. my packs are better made than the originals or modern packs too. I'm happy to rebuild your old sacks too.

cheers

JC
 john campbell 19 Aug 2016
In reply to George Fisher:

George when are coming back over?

JC
 George Fisher 19 Aug 2016
In reply to john campbell:

I'll be over on the East coast for Ben's wedding at the end of Sept. Hopefully we'll be both there for Ice Fest 2017. Catch up and a beer then. Looking forward to seeing the shop.

G

Goucho 19 Aug 2016
In reply to nniff:

> $600 for an Alpiniste! Strewth! Still the best rucksack I've ever had though

I've still got my original canvas Alpiniste from the early 70's - very battered, an original Joe Brown from the same period (brilliant sac) pretty battered but still more than functional, and an original Whillans Alpiniste, which I used about twice before disgarding it as it's useless in more or less every way. My son however has comandered it as he thinks it's seriously cool, but he's not a climber

I still think sacs from that era had a certain magic about them, and they were so vesatile as well as being absolutely bomb proof.

Wonder what they'd fetch on Ebay nowadays?
 BnB 20 Aug 2016

I'm fascinated that UKC clothing threads normally scoff at the prices commanded by premium outerwear, yet these sacs raise barely a whisper of surprise at the "bespoke tailoring" pricing structure. The maker has clearly tapped into a rich vein of nostalgia. Rather like one of these I suppose:

http://singervehicledesign.com

Bravo and good luck.
 john campbell 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Goucho:

is there any chance you could send me pictures of your old canvas alpiniste? is it the red and green version?

Goucho 21 Aug 2016
In reply to john campbell:
> is there any chance you could send me pictures of your old canvas alpiniste? is it the red and green version?

I've just checked John, and it's actually what looks like a blue canvas Karrimor Aiguille, not an Alpiniste as I thought - this is what old age does

I'm sure I did have an Alpiniste, courtesy of Brighams, back in the early 70's, and I do tend to keep (hoard) my old gear, so I'll have a more thorough root around the loft over the next couple of days.
Post edited at 15:47
 john campbell 22 Aug 2016
In reply to Goucho:

Hahaha....The aiguille would be fun to see too. the oldest karrimor i have is the original pinnacle in grey canvas with just one seam.http://www.alpineluddites.com/classicalpinepacks/pinnacle-rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...