UKC

Custom made knee braces

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Ww 20 Aug 2016
Does anyone have any experience of having them fitted and made in the UK? I've researched a company in Germany, and while I'm not expecting them to be cheap, £2000 per leg does seem a tad extravagant.

Thanks, JW
 arch 20 Aug 2016
In reply to John Ww:

Not in the UK, but these guys are good.
http://www.kneeshop.com/

Luckily, I had my brace shipped to a friend in the US, and picked it up when we went on holiday. They'll post to the UK.
OP John Ww 20 Aug 2016
In reply to arch:

Thanks for that, but I'm looking for somewhere that will do all the measurements with me actually being present, plus take a "case history" for my specific problems (a combination of arthritis and cartilage damage), and then come up with the best possible solution(s). I'm not really interested in the "off the shelf" / mail order route.

JW
In reply to John Ww:
Have a look at Össur who have a UK division - https://www.ossur.co.uk . They do custom made braces and may meet your requirements. Details on their website of how to get an assessment and fitting.

Long time ago now, but I got one of theirs after an op left me with an unstable knee without a working ACL.
OP John Ww 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Brilliant, thanks for that, will have a look.

JW
 arch 20 Aug 2016
In reply to John Ww:

LOL.

Have you even had a look on the site before dismissing it ?? Give them a ring, they'll ask all the right questions, they'll get you to measure yourself in all the correct places and advise on what's best for your particular problem. Fitted me up for an ACL/PCL re-construction knee brace. Very happy with it.
 PPP 20 Aug 2016
In reply to John Ww:
I haven't checked the prices, but it might be one of the cases where going to Eastern Europe for holiday and getting the braces might be cheaper.

The vision correction definitely works out cheaper. It'd be a good reason to visit the rest of my family, too (well, for me)!
Post edited at 20:52
 thermal_t 20 Aug 2016
In reply to John Ww:

I've had 2 pairs of knee braces made for me by CTI, who are the same company linked to by pieman. They were also able to tweak the fit of them for me when my legs got slightly smaller. I used them for motocross, not skiing, but imagine the requirements on the knee in both sports are similar.
OP John Ww 20 Aug 2016
In reply to arch:

LOL, but as I explained, I want to talk face to face with someone who will examine my knee while I'm in the room, rather than on the end of a telephone. I'm glad you're happy with your solution, but I think I can decide for myself what I want.

JW
OP John Ww 20 Aug 2016
In reply to thermal_t:

Yep, just looked at the website, the top-end made to measure after a consultation versions at around 700 quid each seem to be pretty much what I'm after.

JW
 HeMa 21 Aug 2016
In reply to John Ww:

CTi braces seem to be gold standard for motocross and skiing. If the off the shelf ones fit, less spendy than full custom ones (still spendy mind you).

Don Joy is another company, that is rather popular with sporty post knee-op persons (and a tad cheaper than CTi). Don Joy also offers fully custom/fitted braces.

I ended up with a second hand Don Joy Defiance (or something like that) about 10 years ago, after my ACL+meniscus repair surgery. Sure a fully customized one would have been a perfect fit, I still got like 9/10 fit from the stock model. So, as I said, a fully custom one might not be needed...
OP John Ww 21 Aug 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Thanks for that, I'll definitely have a look at DonJoy if they do custom fitting and see what they can come up with

Cheers, JW
paraffin 23 Aug 2016
In reply to John Ww:
I had a PCL rupture & ACL injury with associated posterior dislocation of tib and fib 2 years ago. I was fitted with a Breg custom-made Jack Brace for 3 months. Cost NHS £500. Which at least saved me going under the knife. Breg is good kit and being used to rehabilitate lots of sports people.
Post edited at 18:47
 Andrew Lodge 23 Aug 2016
In reply to John Ww:

Hi John

Look at Technology in Motion, they have a clinic near Leeds, run by a guy I trained with, they will look after you I'm sure.

Andrew
 thermal_t 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

> Hi John

> Look at Technology in Motion, they have a clinic near Leeds, run by a guy I trained with, they will look after you I'm sure.

> Andrew

Aha! These are the guys that fitted my CTI's.
OP John Ww 23 Aug 2016
In reply to thermal_t:

Excellent stuff guys, thanks again

JW
aligibb 16 Sep 2016
In reply to John Ww:

Hi John, another thumbs up for Ossur CTI custom, I really cant fault it, or the fitting service and speed with which it was all done. Get a good physio clinic to discuss measure and fit it. I went to it from a Donjoy forcepoint and there is no comparison. £750 well spent as after a full winter of being worn every day its still good.

Ali
OP John Ww 17 Sep 2016
In reply to aligibb:

Cheers for that - waiting to visit a company called Ortema in Germany next month, then Ossur in November, as I've got four skiing trips coming up this winter and need to get sorted out.
Thanks again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...