UKC

Religious council tax discounts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 20 Aug 2016
Just read this in my "local rag"

> Cornwall Council is granting tax-breaks to people because of their religious beliefs – and Catholics are getting more than anyone else. The news is unlikely to please Cornwall's 2,169 Jedi Knights, who form the county's largest single non-Christian "religious" group.

> Cornwall's 2,169 Jedi Knight's got no council tax rebate - but maybe they didn't ask if the force was with them. The council is simply implementing national government rules but it does have some discretion over who qualifies. The British Humanist Association said the rules were unfair and should be changed.

> All of the discounts granted last year were to people who follow some form of the Christian faith. Councils can grant exemptions from council tax in a range of different circumstances. One of these relates to dwellings "held for the purpose of being available for occupation by a minister of any religious denomination as a residence from which to perform the duties of their office". According to an answer to a Freedom of Information Act request, there are nine such properties in Cornwall. It is not known if Cornwall Council rejected any applications, but the council has not had to contest any appeals.

Read more at http://www.westbriton.co.uk/cornwall-council-to-offer-tax-breaks-based-on-r...

KevinD 20 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Seems sensible to me. Hopefully the holiness will rub off on the neighbours and increase spirituality.
Although made up religions like Jedi Knights should be shown the door unless they can show their powers in the same way the Eucharist is transformed.
OP Big Ger 20 Aug 2016
In reply to KevinD:

The sarcasm is strong in this one....
In reply to KevinD:

Jedi Hob-Nob, anyone...?
 timjones 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> Just read this in my "local rag"

May I offer my commiserations.

Looking on the bright side this journo has all the dreary qualities that are required of a Daily Mail reporter. I'm sure that they will move on soon and the tone of your local rag will improve immensely.
 Bimble 21 Aug 2016
In reply to KevinD:

Catholics rubbing off their neighbours? Won't somebody think of the children! (Apart from priests, they need to stop thinking about them)
 wilkie14c 21 Aug 2016
In reply to KevinD

> Although made up religions like Jedi Knights

As opposed to all the real, factual religions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...